Sharkskinz superbike seat for use with supersport tail - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R
Sharkskinz superbike seat for use with supersport tail

Quick question: I have some race bodywork with a normal supersport tail (i.e., uses the stock seat)

I talked to someone last race weekend who had the same tail, but had bought a sharkskinz seat base that he then added foam too. So it seemed to have the perks of a superbike tail (i.e., better feel) without the hassle of taking off the entire tail whenever you need to access anything.

I was hoping to confirm that what I want to buy is: "SZ 4151 Optional SS Tail Seat Base"

I can't find pictures online matched up with the model numbers, so was hoping someone might know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Re: Sharkskinz superbike seat for use with supersport tail

I have it on my bike. Contact STG and they will get you hooked up with the right one for $154.50. I have pictures of it in the October ROTM thread.

You get the same feedback as the SBK tail.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
wat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
I have it on my bike. Contact STG and they will get you hooked up with the right one for $154.50. I have pictures of it in the October ROTM thread.

You get the same feedback as the SBK tail.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfect, I pulled the info off the STG site so I'll place the order now that I know that's the right one. Appreciate it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Lesson learned from me. Don't waste your money on the woodcraft R6 seat foam, it doesn't fit. I had to cut the ba back portion off because it was to big. You're better off just getting the $20 square one. Just my .02
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Quick question: I have some race bodywork with a normal supersport tail (i.e., uses the stock seat)

I talked to someone last race weekend who had the same tail, but had bought a sharkskinz seat base that he then added foam too. So it seemed to have the perks of a superbike tail (i.e., better feel) without the hassle of taking off the entire tail whenever you need to access anything.

I was hoping to confirm that what I want to buy is: "SZ 4151 Optional SS Tail Seat Base"

I can't find pictures online matched up with the model numbers, so was hoping someone might know.
Dunno how much different the 3rd gen tail is, but FWIW, the 2nd gen SBK tail comes off as easily as the stock seat. Two hex head bolts, and a few quarter-turn fasteners for the draft pan. Comes on/off faster than the stock seat- no pushing the foam out of the way while trying to get threads started.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Didn't Andrew make a seat like that using an OEM seat pan?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
wat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Dunno how much different the 3rd gen tail is, but FWIW, the 2nd gen SBK tail comes off as easily as the stock seat. Two hex head bolts, and a few quarter-turn fasteners for the draft pan. Comes on/off faster than the stock seat- no pushing the foam out of the way while trying to get threads started.
Not sure, though I'd rather not take off the tail at all if I can avoid it (draft pan included). Matt was the one I talked to about his tail, he got cheap foam from some OC shop (H2 motors? HG motors? need to google). His setup looked real easy to pull just the seat.

Plus I already have a painted (albeit rattlecan lol) and number-plated SS tail... so it'd be cheaper to just get the seat pan. Plus the seat pan should be near indestructible (/knockonwood...).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Lesson learned from me. Don't waste your money on the woodcraft R6 seat foam, it doesn't fit. I had to cut the ba back portion off because it was to big. You're better off just getting the $20 square one. Just my .02
Mine fit perfect to my armor bodies fairings.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

the seat pan saves a lot of time vs. pulling the entire tail section off, and i like the better feel vs the stock seat for sure
I got the graves seat foam, but would get different foam next time. A) it's thicker than some B) it's outrageously expensive C) it is grippy, but turns your leathers dark if they are lighter color

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
wat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
the seat pan saves a lot of time vs. pulling the entire tail section off, and i like the better feel vs the stock seat for sure
I got the graves seat foam, but would get different foam next time. A) it's thicker than some B) it's outrageously expensive C) it is grippy, but turns your leathers dark if they are lighter color
The outrageously expensive part turned me away from that. I don't mind paying for stuff that I think had some R&D in it (e.g., their throttle tube), but $100 is ridiculous for a seat pad.

I ordered some cheap foam off ebay, though it's thicker than I thought it would be. Seems to defeat the purpose if I have a 3/4" pad... May have to keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in