A question about staying safe on a R6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

A question about staying safe on a R6

Hello everybody, upon a lot of research I cannot find a definite answer to this question/problem. What is the real way to stop tank slapping? I have heard to roll off, roll on, rear brake, no brakes at all, squeeze tank, different riding styles all together, bad tires etc.

The list goes on and on. Doesn't mater whether you look for an answer on forums, youtube (why not), other sites. There is always a variety of cures but what is the right one??

I am even more confused because I have a friend who bought a 2012 R6 as a first bike at 21. I asked him about it and he said it had happened to him and all he did was push forward on the bars putting weight on them.

???????? Isn't that what your NOT supposed to do? It kept him alive though because he is a mad man and is real aggressive on the highway lane splitting at 120mph + (I've seen it, go pro verified)

I also hear the R6 is more prone to headshake as well.

then there's the whole steering stabilizer v.s. not needing one and how they are a "bandaid"

Please can someone shed some light on this? I want to be prepared for it if it happens one day.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:15 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Re: A question about staying safe on a R6

First off trying to muscle it isn't going to help you, but make it worse. In theory keeping on the throttle or opening it up more will reduce weight on the front and help.
In reality pucker up your ass, relax your grip, don't chop the throttle or use brakes, and pray lol. It'll end quickly either way.
Also you're better off learning how to prevent a head shake and what causes it.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Also you're better off learning how to prevent a head shake and what causes it.
this

not only is it difficult to correct once it happens, but you're likely to freeze-up anyway in that situation.

i had a massive head-shake moment on a race track and somehow i was able to keep calm, but nothing i tried worked. the bars were shaking so fast and violently i couldn't even let go. i guess you could say that nothing i wanted to try worked as i was pinned in 3rd gear and could do nothing to change it. somehow it eventually stopped, but not before sending me off the track at over 100mph.

in my case, a light front end (due to full throttle) over slightly bumpy track and too much weight on the clip-ons (due to fatigue and poor body positioning) was the recipe for disaster.

a damper will help, but it won't correct bad form. that's where the "band-aid" comments come in.

once head-shake happens, you become just a passenger until it decides to stop or spits you off...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for all the advice so far. So let's say I were to make a list of all the things to do to prevent it and/or correct it, it would go like this:

Prevention:
1. Keep and eye out for crap roads/bad parts of the road

2. Try not to get the front end light

3. Do not put a lot of weight on the front bars with bad body positioning

4. Have a steering damper installed just in case ( good idea?)

Anything else?

When it happens:
1. Roll off easy/don't chop the throttle

2. Don't hit the brakes

3. No extra inputs to the bars

Anything else?

I know one day I will want to test the limits of the bike (say an open stretch of empty highway) and the last thing I want is something like this at 140, even geared up

Is there any worthwhile literature on the net about the subject that I should read? I'm trying to be the best rider I can be. Thanks again
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Check out twist of the wrist 1 and 2. Book or dvd, sometimes it's on YouTube.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Sammiches

Bike: Red 07 R6
Send a message via AIM to haze748

1. Body position

2. Body position

3. Body position.

Try some traction pads on the tank like Stomp Grip. They will aid your legs and midsection taking the weight off your hands. Squeeze that tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminZ View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far. So let's say I were to make a list of all the things to do to prevent it and/or correct it, it would go like this:

Prevention:
1. Keep and eye out for crap roads/bad parts of the road

2. Try not to get the front end light

3. Do not put a lot of weight on the front bars with bad body positioning

4. Have a steering damper installed just in case ( good idea?)

Anything else?

When it happens:
1. Roll off easy/don't chop the throttle

2. Don't hit the brakes

3. No extra inputs to the bars

Anything else?

I know one day I will want to test the limits of the bike (say an open stretch of empty highway) and the last thing I want is something like this at 140, even geared up

Is there any worthwhile literature on the net about the subject that I should read? I'm trying to be the best rider I can be. Thanks again
The list looks alright but understanding exactly what a tank slapper is and how they usually occur may help solidify the above points a little bit. I wrote an article on the subject and it can be found
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take a read through and see if that helps. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so please let me know if you have any more questions after reading.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Misti

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Don't ride with your idiot 21 year old friend.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thank you Misti, glad to take advice from someone with your experience level. I will read what you included thoroughly
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

@ babymilo36 LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in