Sharkskinz Superbike bodywork & Yoshimura full exhaust clearance problem? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
^^Slow guy on fast bike^^

Bike: R6r
Sharkskinz Superbike bodywork & Yoshimura full exhaust clearance problem?

Has anyone run into an issue with this particular combination before?

I got a set of used Sharkskinz (The 'superbike' style) fairings and went to mock them up. I used the 2 bolts to the frame on the upper, loosely bolted it to the fairing stay, and then attached the lower with the dzus fasteners.

The #2 (#3 was very close) header pipe was firmly pressed against the front lower fairing, to where if I ran the engine, I was surely do some damage to the fiberglass. The bottom of the chin was close to the front tire, so I really couldn't pull it forward any more either..

I wonder if this is an issue specifically with the Yoshimura header, since they do seem to curve forward a little as you can see here.. (when I installed the exhaust, I did make sure to do it properly, leaving everything loose, then fully tightening the headers last, they seemed to find their "sweet spot" on their own as I tightened everything up)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Q.
R6 race - CCS 128 Expert "The tiger bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono street
EvolveGT

Thanks to my 2016 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

GET IT!!!

Last edited by eskimo; 02-08-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Sharkskinz Superbike bodywork & Yoshimura full exhaust clearance problem?

you can cut the front of the lower out.. into a "V".. and that may give ya some clearance. The, instal some heat shield on the inside of the bellypan (lower). Even if the header is touching the lower, that will keep it from burning the fiberglass.
That header is FUGGIN HUGE by the way.

sharkskinz are the best bodywork by far as well. amazing fit and finish. (assuming that is what ya got and someone didn't sell you something else). There will be a sticker imbedded in the resin on the inside of the bodywork with their logo. It may have been painted over though if they sprayed the inside black (like i do).

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 02-11-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Greg.. It's genuine Sharkskinz..

I've been thinking about some heat shield or wrapping the pipes to keep heat out of the oil pan too.. The downside IME with the wrap is accelerated deterioration of the pipes (Don't care) and that they absorb every fluid that touches them.. Seen a few fires from it (on vehicles).

I was hesitant to cut the lower, since it looked to be made to force air up through the radiator, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...

Rich Q.
'04 Aprilia Tuono street
EvolveGT

|
|
|
|
|
|

GET IT!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
Thanks Greg.. It's genuine Sharkskinz..

I've been thinking about some heat shield or wrapping the pipes to keep heat out of the oil pan too.. The downside IME with the wrap is accelerated deterioration of the pipes (Don't care) and that they absorb every fluid that touches them.. Seen a few fires from it (on vehicles).

I was hesitant to cut the lower, since it looked to be made to force air up through the radiator, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...
I cut a "V" in the front of all of my lowers from sharkskins.. I prefer to have the air running through there rather than trapping additional heat from the headers during pit out, waiting for some idiot that can't remember his grid position, etc. LOL
Don't cut it ALL the way down or it won't hold fluid as designed to do.. And i have no idea if doing this to any degree will resolve your issue.

But, there won't be any issues with cooling, even racing down here in FL during the summer, and both bikes have built motors running MR12. Engine ice doesn't hurt, but stock rads, stock thermostat (leave it in), stock hoses, stock water pump, etc.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 02-11-2015 at 08:24 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Can you take a pic of the lower? The made a revision (without noting it to anyone) to their lower belly pans a year or 2 ago... I think it's the header tho.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Mac- yeah, I could take a pic.. I'm sure it's more than 2 years old though.. Any particular angle that would help?

Melk - thanks again... I think cutting a V or a U in it would actually give the clearance I need..

Rich Q.
'04 Aprilia Tuono street
EvolveGT

|
|
|
|
|
|

GET IT!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Platiunum Supporting Sponsor

Bike: R1, 675R, Grom

I have the exact same setup on my R6, cut a V as Melk described or U and that will fix the problem.

See this image for reference -

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I basically just extended the opening of the lower down a bit further. I can't remember exactly how much I cut off though.

This one might help too -

PS those headers are going to turn into a golden bronze after a few heat cycles.

Last edited by RidersDiscount; 02-12-2015 at 06:32 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersDiscount View Post
I have the exact same setup on my R6, cut a V as Melk described or U and that will fix the problem.

I basically just extended the opening of the lower down a bit further. I can't remember exactly how much I cut off though.
Looks like 8.374 inches.. perfect!

Glad there's no adverse effects.

Dumb yet slightly amusing story-
A few days ago before everyone started replying, I was on the phone with Yoshimura asking if they had heard this before, and he said "we designed them around OEM bodywork, aftermarket race plastics may require modification".
I was in the process of politely suggesting that if they're going to sell a "race" exhaust (that requires signing a waiver stating it won't be used on the road before I could buy it), they might want to check fitment with some of the brand-name plastics, but as I started saying it, my wife was coming up our steep, snow (and right now, ice-covered) driveway, and saw her car do a slow-motion 150 pirouette in the middle of the driveway as gravity > available traction on the ice, and had to end the phone call rather abruptly to go see how far it had slid down the driveway.

(AWD Subaru & snow tires.. guess we'll be adding studs next year!) Ahh, the joys of living on the side of a hill.

Rich Q.
'04 Aprilia Tuono street
EvolveGT

|
|
|
|
|
|

GET IT!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
Mac- yeah, I could take a pic.. I'm sure it's more than 2 years old though.. Any particular angle that would help?

Melk - thanks again... I think cutting a V or a U in it would actually give the clearance I need..
Sounds like you got it figured. The kickstand side is what I was most interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersDiscount View Post

See this image for reference -

This one might help too -

PS those headers are going to turn into a golden bronze after a few heat cycles.
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, I really never cared for the lower, blocking off the header. Now I can correct it to my liking...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in