how to make the bike run cooler - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: R6 2012
how to make the bike run cooler

e best way will be adding add on radiator or change to race rad. but will changing to silicone hose reduce the temp? will removing thermostat helps too?

Yamaha YZF-R6 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 09 R6, 07 R6S, 05 WR250F
Re: how to make the bike run cooler

Is it overheating?

You shouldn't need any additional cooling. Have you flushed the system and made sure you don't have any air in it?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuengling910 View Post
Is it overheating?

You shouldn't need any additional cooling. Have you flushed the system and made sure you don't have any air in it?
its average at about 95-100deg c or abt 203-212 deg f

Yamaha YZF-R6 2012

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 AM
\_(ツ)_/

Bike: '09 R6R Raven

Sounds about right. I just put Engine Ice in mine. Dropped it a cpl degrees. Also, an ECU reflash can adjust the temp at which the fan comes on. Getting mine done now, and will have the fan kick on at 205.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

I didnt notice any change with silicone hoses. Maybe a few degrees at best. The only way to really make it run cooler is to put in a bigger radiator, which is not cheap.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Sounds like you don't have a problem. As long as it's working properly, the stock cooling system is plenty capable of maintaining proper operating temperatures. And no, changing out hoses isn't going to do anything to effect that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
I eat my R6

Engine Ice would be the cheapest, silicone hoses don't dissipate heat but are only a means of withstanding higher temperatures to prevent warping/melting (i.e. hoses close to the exhaust header or engine block). But it's not much of an issue for modern engine designs now-a-days.

CCS #414
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Did change coolant to engine ice. Notice a temp drop during highway riding but when it come to track,it doesn't seems to make any effect. Maybe is becos my location is Veri hot n humid.

Reducing temp will also reduce power loss n also prolong engine life
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

check your air to fuel ratio on your fuel map. You could richen the map up a tad in some places, as that will lower temps on track a bit (may loose a tiny amount of hp).
212F on track is not horrible. It's not uncommon to see 100c (212f) while racing in the hot months here in FL.

I would leave the thermostat in. Check some obvious stuff too, like the condition of your radiator fins.
As stated above, a larger radiator is VERY expensive, and just shouldn't be needed ..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

just so its not unnoticed... going from standard mixed glycol (50/50) to engine ice nets some cooling because engine ice is premixed not because its that much better of a coolant. Engine ice is still glycol based.
The trick in high humidity/temp environments is to reduce the glycol content so your radiator can shed heat effectively. I would be be paying attention to oil temps before coolant temps anyways. Thats your primary cooling fluid.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plumbing in an auxillary radiator is not too difficult. If your oil temps are sky high...youre never going to cool it down without an auxillary cooler. There is a water cooled one already... may just need to increase capacity. You can also increase the pressure of the radiator cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in