Starting point for gearing- VIR/ Summit - Page 8 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)
Re: Starting point for gearing- VIR/ Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Wanted to sneak in here and update. Figure it may benefit someone.
I ran the 15/43 at summit and found it very useable. I might have swapped to a 44 if I had it but didn't. I might have been able to make use of a little more grunt. Steadily dropped time and made half a dozen laps in the GTU in the mid-low 19's.
The thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that I don't want to be topping out this motor. Unlike the Kawi which made power until it exploded, the R6 stops making power after 14.7- 15k. It's nice to have the over rev to 17 but if I'm coming into a turn and hit the brakes at 14.5 then there is no reason to add a tooth. Unless, of course I need to be in a different range somewhere else.
I also ment to update....

I ran the R6 at shenny then summit point main the next day.

On main I ran 0F/+2R (16/47)
Im not sure if Im just use to the zx10R, but it felt like the power was lagging with this gearing.

The bike still have stock ECU (no flash)....stock suspension (i chewed up the rear tire)...

The bike felt like it took a long time...more than it seems it should...to get up to speed.

I ran it durring a track day....
did 1st 2 sessions on the R6, then I switch to the zx10R and switch every other session.
The Evil Twin likes this.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (On FB) WERA Nov# 325/ CCS Nov# 326
  • 2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ABS (Street) |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (Superbike Race) |

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 2009 WR250F

|
    |

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)

Not sure if I should change the gearing again or not.

(On FB) WERA Nov# 325/ CCS Nov# 326
  • 2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) |
    ABS (Street) |
    (Superbike Race) |

| 2009 WR250F

|
    |

|
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W

Well, remember 2 things:
1- if your suspension is OEM still, you are not able to put all the power to the ground
2- you are a bit heavier than I am so that will have an affect on forward momentum
3- nothing is like the ZX10 motor. LOL

Effectively you are running the same ratio as I started with (-1/0), and some guys still do. Tommy Wilson runs 18's at summit with that ratio. he runs in a different transmission gear through some turns though. I have a lot of work to do for a second drop in time. My ratio is currently stock- ish (-1/-2) at low 19's.
FWIW, in a dead heat drag to the line against a 2011 ZX6, the R6 inched it's way past. Both bikes similarly modded using the same fuel and same tires. We were pitted together, which is how I know.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in