Starting point for gearing- VIR/ Summit - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Starting point for gearing- VIR/ Summit

Looking for tips from guys and girls in the region. This is my first R6 after a decade of Kawasaki ownership. I'm no stranger to the dynamics of gearing and speed and how all that changes based on your lap times, etc.
What I am looking for is other racers in the top 10 amateur middleweight class. Folks about my pace. What sprockets are you using? I just need a place to start since this bike is in stock form. Preferably gearing used at one or both of the tracks mentioned above. I need to buy chain/ sprockets soon.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus
Re: Starting point for gearing- VIR/ Summit

Stock, or 1 tooth smaller on the rear sprocket. FWIW, I run 19's at Summit and 35's at VIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Motosylum Racing #132

Wow, -1 on the rear? So these bikes are geared too low from the factory? The Ninja got -1 in the front (effectively +3 rear) for Summit. I'm about a second off your times.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Assuming you're talking about the third gen, yeah, the consensus is that the stock gearing is generally a really good starting point.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Reads the rulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Wow, -1 on the rear? So these bikes are geared too low from the factory? The Ninja got -1 in the front (effectively +3 rear) for Summit. I'm about a second off your times.
There's a lot at play - motor (built/stock/pump gas or MR12/etc), pace, and track. But yeah, seriously, the stock ratio gearing is damn near spot on for a lot of the tracks you'll run on the east coast. But the guys that are actually fast (32's at VIR, 16's and below at Summit) carry so much corner speed that 2nd gear gets tapped out too quickly going through the corner. Going down a tooth allows them to wring out 2nd gear coming out of corner without upsetting the bike upshifting into 3rd. Don't forget that these fast guys are also running built motors, so if you're stock (like me), you wouldn't even be able to pull the lower gearing *as* easy (assuming same pace) since they got you beat on the mid range power.

I am dog ass slow from T5-8 at Summit, if I actually had any kind of real riding ability, going with the lower gearing would make the drive out of 9 much easier.

But yeah, I see people fvucking with their gearing all the damn time during track days at Summit and VIR. Until you're riding at any kind of decent clip, stock gearing is damn good. You'll always have those guys running 35's at Summit and 2:00+ at VIR claiming their stock R6 gearing is shit...but that's always gonna happen.

Quote:
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Motosylum Racing #132

Yeah, Fallis, I should have specified my bike is a '12. Sorry bout that.
This is just one more thing I'm going to have to get used to moving over to the blue side. Ninja were always overdriven too much. Like they were meant for interstate travel. It's just nuts that to put both bikes at 10000 rpm in 2nd gear for T1 the sprocket changes are so opposite.
I'm still using a stock mill myself, although with a little polishing here and there. Planning on running T4 fuel so I can switch back and forth to pump gas without having a PC or Bazzaz. So nominal mods over stock. I haven't even had it tuned yet. Hell, it's still an engine and frame at this moment!
FWIW, a local fast guy and friend said I should start out with 44 rear. He said the fast fast guys are running 15/ 41
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)

Well shit n goddamn !!!!

Like Twin Ive only race/tracked kaws and a gixxer 750 one time...
Still racing/tracking a Kaw zx10R, but got the 2011 R6 to get back into middle weight action...

I ask my boy who is running 1:18s to 1:20s at summit point and is on his 3rd R6 (2006 R6, 2008 R6, now 2014 R6) what gearing and he did say stock was pretty decent at most of our local tracks and a stock F/+1 rear. He said he was going to run a stock front and +2R this go round. Just used it at Jennings and it felt good.

So I went and ordered a stock front/+2R 520.
After reading this thread I realized I was sent the wrong size sprocket. I did not look up stock and just said send me a plus 2 rear. He sent a 50 rear. I saw the box and was like...this looks like a stunters sprocket.

Just left a message to get an exchange, but now I am wondering if I should do a +1?

Quote:
Side note: you want to talk about gearing. My 2011 ZX10R felt so bogged down, that other expert racers told me they were running -2F/+2R I was like holly jebuz christo !!!

I did that, and felt a tad twitchy, then ran all last year on -2F/+1 rear and the bike feels perfect. I always ran the traditional -1F/+2 rear on my zx10Rs
and ran -1/+3R on my 05 zx6R, but at VIR would run out of steam fast lol.

Hate to post my times....but shit...f**kit.

** on 636 VIR best time 1:39 average times 1:40+ @ summit 1:19.8 average = 1:20+
** on 06 & 08 ZX 10R VIR best time = 1:39/1:41 average, Summit best time = 1:19.00 average time 1:20/1:21+
** on 2011 ZX10R thus far best time at summit = 1:22 average 1:23+++ lol...but I will admit most times on the new bike last year I was going 80% at best...no motivation

Reason for low motivation?

look at this pic...look for me and tell me what is wrong lol

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R6 sprocket

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (On FB) WERA Nov# 325/ CCS Nov# 326
  • 2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ABS (Street) |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (Superbike Race) |

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 2009 WR250F

|
    |

|
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Motosylum Racing #132

Lol, Stunna sprocket!
You sure your friend isn't going to be running stock/ -2 ? Gears should get taller (numerically lower) as you get faster. For instance, Shepherd is running a -3 rear.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)

Quote:
Lol, Stunna sprocket!
You sure your friend isn't going to be running stock/ -2 ? Gears should get taller (numerically lower) as you get faster. For instance, Shepherd is running a -3 rear.
mannnnn

I hope I did not miss-listen to him...and thought he said +2R when he really meant -2R.....

im about to hit him up hahaha since i have to return this thing..

(On FB) WERA Nov# 325/ CCS Nov# 326
  • 2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) |
    ABS (Street) |
    (Superbike Race) |

| 2009 WR250F

|
    |

|
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Reads the rulez

Quote:
Yeah, Fallis, I should have specified my bike is a '12. Sorry bout that.
This is just one more thing I'm going to have to get used to moving over to the blue side. Ninja were always overdriven too much. Like they were meant for interstate travel. It's just nuts that to put both bikes at 10000 rpm in 2nd gear for T1 the sprocket changes are so opposite.
I'm still using a stock mill myself, although with a little polishing here and there. Planning on running T4 fuel so I can switch back and forth to pump gas without having a PC or Bazzaz. So nominal mods over stock. I haven't even had it tuned yet. Hell, it's still an engine and frame at this moment!
FWIW, a local fast guy and friend said I should start out with 44 rear. He said the fast fast guys are running 15/ 41
:
I'm running 15/42. Mathematically almost exactly the same as the OEM 16/45, but it extends the wheelbase a tad. I had to do this because the Pirelli's were big enough that the tire warmer would rub the front part of the swingarm. I might pick up a 41 tooth just to try it and see if it helps or not. Might do that at the N2 days in April (5th-6th).

Quote:
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in