What stops you from going into turns quicker? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF
What stops you from going into turns quicker?

Approaching a turn, have you ever felt as though you were going too fast when you were CERTAIN you could turn the bike? Or, if you are confident you can turn the bike does your entry speed ever seem too high?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: What stops you from going into turns quicker?

The brakes! Duh.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But yeah. My "oh shit" moment is usually while / or just after turning the bike, when I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near the apex, or that the outside edge of the track is approaching much faster than I expected, and I'm gonna have to wait longer than I'd like to get on the gas.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:27 PM
When in doubtThrottle out

Bike: Zuma

Riding a smaller bike helps with putting corner speed especially entry speed into perspective.

Sold: 2009 YZF-R6
Given to the ex-bitch, I mean wife: 2010 Ninja 250

MCRA/CCS#81

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorv
I was wrong.
Quote taken 7-16-15 @ 0640CDT

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM
nom nom nom nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
Riding a smaller bike helps with putting corner speed especially entry speed into perspective.
Yep, this right here. On my 250 I quickly discovered that there were a lot of corners I could be taking faster on the bigger bike.

Pretty funny when you are taking the entire straight to get up to entry speed for a sweeper, then watching the big bikes that passed you all park it before tipping in. They're on the brakes trying to get setup and you're still WFO hoping that they don't do anything stupid.

But yes, to answer the OP: that's when you just push the inside bar and lean and believe. Don't try to hang off more or let off the gas, just lean it over, look where you should be and pray. The few times I've gone off track were from me ****ing up and looking where I didn't want to go.

Last edited by RC51; 04-09-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
The brakes! Duh.

But yeah. My "oh shit" moment is usually while / or just after turning the bike, when I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near the apex, or that the outside edge of the track is approaching much faster than I expected, and I'm gonna have to wait longer than I'd like to get on the gas.
The brakes
right!

So if you were able to get the bike turned quicker and to know for certain that you could always turn the bike fast enough to make the corner (and always hit your apex), would you be more confident using a higher entry speed?

How do you turn the bike quickly?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

It's not just with you, but why does it seem like the Keith Code school always teaches in the form of questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 AM
ready to race

Bike: 03R6.08FZ1.81cb750F etc.

That's the beauty of the r6. It very forgiving in the corners. When u f up just point and shoot.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 AM
I eat my R6

A deer... seriously, it's no joke in the Mid West.

But honestly, I worked on braking all last season which was mainly a suspension gimmick for me. Only time I had an "issue" with it was over-shooting Turn 7 at Blackhawk Farms. It wasn't by much, but enough where I was braking so hard the rear was straight off the ground and I couldn't hit my turn-in, over shot my entry, went in to grass, grass said "NO": crash.

I found properly setting up my suspension and then over filling my forks 40-50 mL helped keep the front from excessively diving and led to much greater stability and higher entry speeds under braking. Last time I was out I was within 5 seconds of the record lap times; made a huge difference in my game. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm a believer that brakes are what make you fast.

CCS #414

Last edited by Mott Power; 04-13-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
It's not just with you, but why does it seem like the Keith Code school always teaches in the form of questions?
Why do you think it is?

AFM #77
Thanks for the support in 2017

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 PM
My R6 eats EZpasses

Bike: Miss Kitty - 2009 WR250X

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
It's called the Socratic Method and I find it to be the most effective way to inspiring critical thinking in students.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in