What lap timer do you use? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

What lap timer do you use?

Looking to get one for my track bike GPS lap timer or data logger. I want to get your feedback on whatever you use.

best,

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: What lap timer do you use?

GPX Pro 4 channel.

Works pretty well. Is pretty easy to install and setup. The biggest hassle if finding a good way to mount it.

4 channels of external data is plenty for my use. It can be a little finicky about auto recognizing which track you're on. You can either deal with it, and then jump through hoops to move all the sessions to the same track once you pull it onto your PC, or manually set which track you're at when you show up there, but I always forget to do that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 PM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1

Currently I have the Starlane DaVinci dash but prior to that I had the Starlane GPS-3x. Both work real well for what I need it to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 r6

Get an aim product. I've ran aim for over 10 years and they fix everything they sell for free! Obviously if you crash and mangle the device they will charge you for parts. But, if a button, sensor, light or any type of control board or anything goes bad, send it to them and they fix it. You pay shipping and that's it. Having said that....

Aim solo, or the aim solo DL. The solo is the base model. I have one. They are both completely Gps. You can set numerous splits, any start/finish line you want, and tells you speed based on gps. The solo dl, you can either hardwire, or buy the harness for 60$ to have all your rpm, water temp, speed, and whatever else your ecu will already provide, plus gps lap times. The only advanced the DL has over the base model is data acquisition.

I cannot stress to you have fantastic this device really is. I literally take it off my dirt bike, put it on the race bike, and even my car in a matter of seconds. On my dirt bike, I rip around trails where lines on the track are within feet of crossing each other. The gps is so accurate, that it doesn't get lost and start tracking onto the wrong side. You can later take all this data with the DL and plug it into the computer, and analyze every single part of the track. Aim GPS virtually creates a track, and draws it out on the computer so you can click on any certain part of the track, and it will say how fast you were going, what rpms your turning, and if you have hooked up, how many "g's" your pushing.

I've never owned any starlene or gpx lap timer, but i see absolutely zero reason the switch to them brands. I've tested aim products for over 10 years and have at least 30 of their data acquisition products and I can tell you I've never once been dissatisfied. Especially by customer support.

Also if you've got the dough, get a smartycam. Simply brilliant videos.

I've got a base model solo that has been used maybe 10 times for sale At the moment if anyone's interested... retail for 400$... Selling for 300$

Once again, aim products kick serious ass!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 r6

I will post pictures of my mounts, and what the solo actually looks like hooked up to the ecu.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
GPX Pro 4 channel.

Works pretty well. Is pretty easy to install and setup. The biggest hassle if finding a good way to mount it.

4 channels of external data is plenty for my use. It can be a little finicky about auto recognizing which track you're on. You can either deal with it, and then jump through hoops to move all the sessions to the same track once you pull it onto your PC, or manually set which track you're at when you show up there, but I always forget to do that.

This is what I use. Agree on all above, except I don't forget to set which track I am at
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logging throttle position is a must have jn my opinion, assuming you actually want to look at data beyond just a lap time.

The software integration between the device and pc could be better. For example you can set sectors and it calculates theoretical best laps on the device, but that doesn't carry over to the pc.

Customer service is excellent. I had an issue and they fixed it right away and even helped ship faster so I'd have it back before my next race weekend.

I would say one of the most underrated things though is WHAT DO THE FAST GUYS WHO RACE WITH YOU USE? Being able to share data with someone else is huge... If they'll let you.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Yamaha 4 Life

I run the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX GPS lap timer. I was lucky enough to snag a 5Hz unit last year for around $75 shipped. Seems like these days only the newer 10Hz unit is available which sells for closer to $200.

I like the GPS data it provides and I also like how I can compare my data to my other friends who also use this unit. Very solid learning tool.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

I just use a lowly xt racing mini
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Bike: '14 R6

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laptimer.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	269049  

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6

i use the Qstarz LT-Q6000 GPS Lap Timer, it provides a lot of good data. let me know if you're interested, i know someone that can provide you a good deal if he still has it. i have already hooked up over 10 of my friends with this lap timer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in