School me on brake pads - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

School me on brake pads

2006 R6 track only with braided lines

Done just over 4000 kilometres this year on track and its time for some new pads.
What compound and why ? Brand ? Is there much in it ?

No wet days and I am strong on the brakes like a bit of initial bite and I also rely on a lot of trail braking right into the clip point.
Thanks brains trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: School me on brake pads

There's so many choices for pads it's crazy. And everyone prefers something different.

Since you say you like a bit of initial bite, you'll probably be best off with some sintered race pads. Depending on how much initial bite you want determines what pad manufacturer and compound works best for you.

Too much initial bite results in an abrupt let off mid corner in a trail brake. Too much initial bite also runs through fork travel and poses issues when trying to get on the brakes mid corner if needed...

I really love the Ferodo pads. I sell a ton of them, this is what I have 90% of my racers on for years now. I also have some racers on EBC pads too.

The EBC pads really have a significant amount of initial bite, so they aren't for me. Ferodo has two sintered pad options that would suit you. XRAC pads have as low an initial bite as possible for a sintered pad, and the ZRAC compound is newer and was created to target people who do like some initial bite. The ZRAC actually has the highest overall braking coefficient of the compounds and is a nice option for guys who have experience with EBC and Vesrah pads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

EBC is the largest maker of pads in the world, and they have supported racers (myself included) for years. They are one of the only mfgs. to pay racing contingency in club racing (like ccs and wera).

EBC has 2 very distinct compounds for track use/racing. The EPFA (softer initial bite, but great feel) and the GPFAX (hard initial bite). both are fully sintered material, and LAST A LONG TIME.. but are not the cheapest pads.

the epfa exterme pro pad was released in 2007. It replaced the former pad from ebc that was.. well.. not very good. The old pad had good initial bite, but would not heat cycle well. it faded more and more with a few sessions, even though there was a lot of material. and if you didn't bed it in right, you would have to pull them and sand them down to de-glaze.

enter 2007 and the EPFA pads. Not cheap.. but fuggin AWESOME pads. They do not have hard initial bite. it took some getting used to, i literally missed brake markers when i was given them to test at Daytona in 2007 (having been used to harder initial bite), but it's all i have ran since. I tried the

GPFA that was released in 2011, and does have a hard initial bite but it's not my style. I prefer a more linear progression of bite, vs. a hard initial bite.

so there ya go. 2 choices of very high quality pads from EBC. EPFA or GPFAX
link to site --
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ps: if you are a serious track rider, i would not purchase the less expensive "hh" pads. they are sintered, but not the quality of the extreme pro pads (epfa/gpfax)

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids

Last edited by MELK-MAN; 08-03-2015 at 08:59 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
EBC is the largest maker of pads in the world, and they have supported racers (myself included) for years. They are one of the only mfgs. to pay racing contingency in club racing (like ccs and wera).

EBC has 2 very distinct compounds for track use/racing. The EPFA (softer initial bite, but great feel) and the GPFAX (hard initial bite). both are fully sintered material, and LAST A LONG TIME.. but are not the cheapest pads.

the epfa exterme pro pad was released in 2007. It replaced the former pad from ebc that was.. well.. not very good. The old pad had good initial bite, but would not heat cycle well. it faded more and more with a few sessions, even though there was a lot of material. and if you didn't bed it in right, you would have to pull them and sand them down to de-glaze.

enter 2007 and the EPFA pads. Not cheap.. but fuggin AWESOME pads. They do not have hard initial bite. it took some getting used to, i literally missed brake markers when i was given them to test at Daytona in 2007 (having been used to harder initial bite), but it's all i have ran since. I tried the

GPFA that was released in 2011, and does have a hard initial bite but it's not my style. I prefer a more linear progression of bite, vs. a hard initial bite.

so there ya go. 2 choices of very high quality pads from EBC. EPFA or GPFAX
link to site --
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ps: if you are a serious track rider, i would not purchase the less expensive "hh" pads. they are sintered, but not the quality of the extreme pro pads (epfa/gpfax)
The EPFA's are actually really fairly priced when compared to other companies race pads!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

SBS Dual Carbon Sintered pads are awesome. Been using them for 5 years now.

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwizard View Post
SBS Dual Carbon Sintered pads are awesome. Been using them for 5 years now.
Brake pads is such a personal preference. I can't stand SBS. They feel like OEM pads and require so much force at the lever to make the bike stop. One of my customers has R6 calipers and a braking MC on a GSXR 1000 and when I rode the bike it just didn't stop well. We swapped him onto some EBC GPFA's and it changed his life.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Yamaha 4 Life

I have used both Carbone Lorraine C59 and Vesrah RJL out on the track and loved both. I run top intermediate / low advanced pace.

Typically the CL pads are a bit cheaper so that has been my pad of choice lately.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Brake pads is such a personal preference. I can't stand SBS. They feel like OEM pads and require so much force at the lever to make the bike stop. One of my customers has R6 calipers and a braking MC on a GSXR 1000 and when I rode the bike it just didn't stop well. We swapped him onto some EBC GPFA's and it changed his life.
This is true. It really is preference. I like to be on the brakes longer and lighter so maybe that's why I really like them. The initial bite isn't abrasive or abrupt. If I need that extra stopping power, I know it's there though. I don't have that problem.

MELKA is right about the rider support for EBC. They do offer contingency... even for us northern CRA club racers. So that is something to consider. I'd like to try out some other pads but I use what I'm confident in for the moment.

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwizard View Post
This is true. It really is preference. I like to be on the brakes longer and lighter so maybe that's why I really like them. The initial bite isn't abrasive or abrupt. If I need that extra stopping power, I know it's there though. I don't have that problem.

MELKA is right about the rider support for EBC. They do offer contingency... even for us northern CRA club racers. So that is something to consider. I'd like to try out some other pads but I use what I'm confident in for the moment.
that's what the said prior to Columbus setting out to discover a new world..

Try something else. Ya might find MORE confidence in a different brand.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Wow
Thanks great info there guys and now that I have opened that can of worms lets talk oil
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... just kidding.

Melk after reading your words I had a really good think about my riding style .
And hard biting is probably not what I need as I try and be really smooth on the brakes feathering them up to the braking point then increasing front pressure up to the tip in point holding them static then easing off then trailing the rear out of the corner.
So thanks everyone for your input , I will check out the links you posted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in