Track brake zone help! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 05 r6
Track brake zone help!

At the track and I'm struggling with transition from strait to slower turns I'm good through sweepers and through short straits to turns. High speed strait to 2nd and 3rd gear turns I struggle with keeping my body back in the seat so I can slide. I have stomp grip but pinching tank with the legs did not seem to work as I would imagined but going from 140 to 60 is taking a toll on the hands. What do you do? What are my options? Iv heard a few different things from the coaches here but there are only so many of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: Track brake zone help!

Instead of concentrating on where you get on the brakes, start working on where you taper off the brakes. When you find yourself with more time than you need to let off, then you know you can get on the brakes later. It's best to get off the bike before you get to the turn, but this makes hard braking tough, since you need to be very light on the bars. I use my stomp grips while the rear wheel is up, and slide off the bike as I start trail braking into the apex.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:49 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

don't try and push yourself back on the bike with the bars, stomp grip won't really help. people think it does, but come on.. it can only do so much. Your leg it tipping out to feel the lean with a knee slider, so how much can stop grip really help?

rest up against the tank, or, consider getting a Sharkskinz seat pan and stick on foam pad. WAY more grippy than the vinyl covered stock seat. Homestead raceway in FL is a track with multiple hard braking zones, my chest is more tired after a weekend of riding/racing there, than from 2 hours straight on the dirt bike in the woods where i train.. you have to have some pressure on the bars, as it's the main way you steer the bike into the corner (countnersteer).

the topic question you posed was a little different than what you ask in the text of your post. Brake markers are incredibly important. there is no way you can predictably navigate a corner with any kind of pace without utilizing the brake markers on the track.. and/or some fixed reference points for turn in. Wonder how expert racers turn fast laps within a few 1/10ths of all the laps? using brake markers and other reference points.

start with an early marker, (say the "4" marker). if you get to the apex and it was too easy, go a little past the 4 next time.. remember what you do for each corner on the track..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

I squeeze the tank with both knees under hard braking with stomp grip. I also kind of press backwards into the pegs (if that makes sense) and really focus on keeping the weight off the arms. Sometimes sitting back in the seat a little bit will help get your knees tighter into the tank cut outs and will use the stronger muscles in the legs then if you are sitting too close to the tank.

I also agree with working on finding good RP's for your braking markers, including where to let off the brakes.

would you say your braking goes from super hard initially and tapers off, or do you gently get on the brakes to start and squeeze harder as you approach turn in?

Misti
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I'll try to keep it simple haha. Redid the pads rotors and lines have way more confidence and I was braking way later. The issue I had this time was I was sliding into the tank. So as I leaned my man hood is pointing opposite of where I want to go so I'm curled around the tank if that makes since. So I'm using my arms and upper body at the last second to get back off the tank. I would like to keep off the tank so I can get off the seat a little more and get my leg and upper body out to keep the bike up a little more. I didn't feel like I was able to carry the corner speed this time. So my question is what are the different options to keep the bum back in the seat in the heavy braking zone. A coach suggested I move my pegs forward a little more and use my legs to push back didn't get the chance to try because the sky water came. What are my other options.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Misti

would you say your braking goes from super hard initially and tapers off, or do you gently get on the brakes to start and squeeze harder as you approach turn in?

I taper off.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zma1208 View Post
At the track and I'm struggling with transition from strait to slower turns I'm good through sweepers and through short straits to turns. High speed strait to 2nd and 3rd gear turns I struggle with keeping my body back in the seat so I can slide. I have stomp grip but pinching tank with the legs did not seem to work as I would imagined but going from 140 to 60 is taking a toll on the hands. What do you do? What are my options? Iv heard a few different things from the coaches here but there are only so many of them.
roebling comes to mind... Im tucked, pop up out of a tuck, let off the gas, and start downshifting & trail braking into the fast right.
Body position is important to set your speed and load the front enough that you have adequate traction.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

Never stab the brakes on initial bite... you're going to fly over the bars.

It's all about progression to be smooth:

BRAKES : 0% - 10% - 30% - 50% - 70% - 80% - 70% - 50% - 30% - 10% - 0%
THROTTLE: 100% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 0% - 2% - 10%

This is how I would do it, coming up to a hard braking zone. I would never be at 80% braking in zone 2. I also never put myself in a situation where I need to use that last 20% of braking (100%). I've tucked the front plenty of times doing that. Smooth is fast. Easy in, fast out.

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop

Last edited by Schwizard; 09-16-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6 Race

That rendered terrible, but imagine the brakes and throttle numbers are aligned.

-Jes CRA #426E
Bell Helmets, AXO, Leatt, Dunlop
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 AM
"The Dude abides .. "

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes

don't stab the brakes, but you can get on em pretty darn hard after you settle the front end .. it's all what you are comfortable with, and what your skill dictates. You may WANT to get on the brakes harder to brake later, but your skill may not back it up
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you haven't READ Twist of the Wrist II , you should.
r6obsessed likes this.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull

Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles

My racin n' ridin youtube vids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in