Body Position and Lean Angle - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Body Position and Lean Angle

What's up guys? I have been browsing this forum forever and have gained so much knowledge here, I really appreciate it! However, I have a question. So many websites and people are claiming that "hanging off" the bike decreases the lean angle necessary for making a proper corner. No one has explained how this happens, rather, they're just stating it. To me, if you're utilizing X amount of side wall (leaning) then regardless of what you do on the bike you're going to have to use that X amount of side wall to lean. For example, if you're taking a turn at 40 mph and this requires a lean of angle of 40 degrees, how does simply hanging off the bike reduce the lean angle to 35? To me it seems that you still have to use the same patch of the tire to accomplish this? Now I do understand the physics of weight distribution and down-force and it's affect on centrifugal forces. My question is how is hanging off the bike going to reduce the amount they bike has to turn (lean angle), I DO understand that proper body position helps with traction and allowing the bikes geometry to work more properly tho. Haha, silly I know. Just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks guys!

Chris Brewer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2006 YZF-R6
Re: Body Position and Lean Angle

Chris, you are linking [lean angle] and [speed] for a given corner angle. This is not technically correct, it is actually the [deviation of Centre of Gravity from upright] and [speed] for a given corner angle. By hanging off the bike whilst cornering, you are moving the Centre of Gravity over before the bike has even leaned over at all. So lets say, whilst sitting upright on the bike, you require 45 deg of lean to get round a corner. If theoretically whilst you were hung off the bike, you moved the CofG by 15 deg, you would only need the bike to lean 30 deg to make it around the same corner at the same speed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:54 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2006 YZF-R6

I was going to try and draw a picture, but this one from Google pretty much sums what I was saying up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.GIF
Views:	179
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	283721  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig6580 View Post
Chris, you are linking [lean angle] and [speed] for a given corner angle. This is not technically correct, it is actually the [deviation of Centre of Gravity from upright] and [speed] for a given corner angle. By hanging off the bike whilst cornering, you are moving the Centre of Gravity over before the bike has even leaned over at all. So lets say, whilst sitting upright on the bike, you require 45 deg of lean to get round a corner. If theoretically whilst you were hung off the bike, you moved the CofG by 15 deg, you would only need the bike to lean 30 deg to make it around the same corner at the same speed.
and to be honest shouldnt even be a consideration until one can execute a complete clean lap on the "race line" within 10-12 seconds of a club level expert. The hanging off part anyway. You see too many folks trying to "force" the hang off... and it shows in pictures.

Unnatural

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Natural

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And there is no "right" or "wrong" body position. Plus its a product of evolution.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Awesome, that makes total sense! I really appreciate the responses, I tried using Google but it kept giving links just stating what I said, no actual explanation. Thanks guys!

Chris Brewer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2011 R6
Garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in