Which skill gives you the most confidence? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF
Which skill gives you the most confidence?

People are always talking about how to become more confident riders. What skill would you say is the most likely to improve your overall confidence?

Misti

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM
IDGAF

Bike: 2014 R6
Re: Which skill gives you the most confidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
People are always talking about how to become more confident riders. What skill would you say is the most likely to improve your overall confidence?

Misti

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
….

…..im not even gonna go there.

It's not really a skill per se, but I'm still working on trying to have more faith in the tires. After totaling a bike……
I see my dad (who is 5'6", 220lbs, 61yrs old), on a ZZR1200 leave me in the dust on some curves. With that being said, I feel like seat time on a track is the main thing that would improve my confidence (being a track virgin) learning the limitations of the tires, and listening to instruction from those who know. I realize that doesn't really help you, but that's my .02
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM
Yamaha 4 Life

I would say vision is number one, and for riders who have done only street riding, can be a hard thing to learn.

Second I would say is body position. Position yourself well on the bike, and she will be have accordingly.

Finally, any rider who has not been to the track, should go. Want to learn more in one day than you will learn in a year on the street, do a track day.
DotCom likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster1085 View Post
Finally, any rider who has not been to the track, should go. Want to learn more in one day than you will learn in a year on the street, do a track day.

Riding on the street is almost boring. Unless you are lucky enough to live near some unpopulated mountain roads.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

I have a lot of confidence in my braking ability, both into and trail-braking right up to the apex. Like was said earlier, I need to get more confidence in my tires, which is why I'm upgrading to slicks next year.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Yamaha 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Riding on the street is almost boring. Unless you are lucky enough to live near some unpopulated mountain roads.
Couldnt agree more, hence why I sold my street bike earlier this year and do strictly track now. Even with unpopulated mountain roads, still have too many variables to be concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Like was said earlier, I need to get more confidence in my tires, which is why I'm upgrading to slicks next year.
Hear that loud and clear. Finishing off the current set of DRC's I am on and then I will be giving the Superbike Pro's a shot.
Resurrected1 likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 r6

Looking ahead and not ever thinking about crashing while racing. You need to concentrate on what is going on around you and be able to process things quickly.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:45 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

crashing. once you figure out that it doesn't really hurt too bad, you can get a lot more crazy on the bike. learning really accelerates when you're not afraid to fall off...

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

For me on track it was a combination of things:
Switching from street to race slicks enabled me to get on the gas way earlier in the corner giving me confidence in the level of grip they provide
More time on track ,last year I did two track days a month putting on 4000 kilometre of track time in under two years
Looking through the corner not at the clip in point , after sighting the clip in and aiming for it I looked through to the next corner
Getting my body positioning and weight distribution correct which resulted in knee down which lets you know your lean angle
Breathing , and getting comfortable with high speed
Getting advice from instructors and racers and implementing it ,not just some bloke in the next pit box
And yes after a couple of low side crashes , getting that out of the way and realising it was no big deal then analysing what caused it and taking measures to prevent it .
Smooth controlled braking ,consistent brake maker zones ,trail braking out of the corner, judicial throttle application , learning to use the rear brake
through corners to tightened the turning ark and settle the rear under hard acceleration out of the corner.

Oh and too smile have fun and not get stressed by other faster riders and being overtaken by surprise.
Midnight-R6 likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
crashing. once you figure out that it doesn't really hurt too bad, you can get a lot more crazy on the bike. learning really accelerates when you're not afraid to fall off...
Seriously? Not sure that crashing gives confidence. I've gone down a lot while racing and been lucky that most of them didn't hurt too bad but I certainly wouldn't say that it gave me any more confidence. The confidence I gain comes from knowing how to ride properly and knowing that I have the skills to save me from a crash if I do get into a bit of trouble.

For me, the visual skills give me the most confidence. If I know exactly where I want to be and where exactly I'm going then my perception of speed is better, I feel like I'm going slower and so I'm less afraid.

Misti
MorrowDeath likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in