Possible 2nd Gen R6 Trackbike build - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Possible 2nd Gen R6 Trackbike build

Newb here in need of some advice about the 2nd Gen or R6s. Several years ago I switched from a 2003 Honda 600RR to a 2000 F4 and was immediately more comfortable and faster. I'm not really sure why but I guess it is what it is. The 600RR felt like an instrument and the F4 felt like a toy. I was running intermediate club race times.

I'm trying to put together another track bike and the F4i is my first choice but they are hard to come by, parts are scarce and every dime I put into it will be lost..

So what about the 2nd Gen R6? I've noticed the ergos are closer to the F4i's than my 600RR, with the lower seat height and triples above the clamp. How easy is it to go fast on one? I've read the frame is super-stiff, like R7 stiff. Is that a good thing or bad for someone that's not a profesional?

Thanks in advance!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Possible 2nd Gen R6 Trackbike build

For the track, get a R6r, not the s. You wont regret

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:28 PM
sell me a red powerband

Bike: 05 R6 Street, 05 R6 Track

In the middle of building my 05 for the track. I don't think there is a gigantic disadvantage to the second generation. Obviously it isn't the newest and greatest. But on a budget I think it serves the purpose just great. Finding parts isn't terrible either.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I've had a couple of people say it takes a pretty damn good rider to go faster on the 3rd gen over a 2nd. I'm on a budget as well so the 2nd gen is what's I'm looking at. What are they like to ride though?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 08:19 AM
sell me a red powerband

I could believe that, I myself have only ridden a 3rd gen a number of times. As far as second gens go try your hardest to get an 05. If definitely is their best year, it has better forks and bigger throttle bodies.

As far as how they ride I think that's all up to setup. You can get the front resprung for your weight (or even revalved). And get a new rear shock, or just resprung. Some adjustable clip ons and adjustable rearsets and you're laughing. I'm 6'2" and the bike is totally fine for me as far as setup is concerned. The gearing also plays a difference, depending on your track and what gears you want to be in.

Keep in mind they are a race bike, they were competitive 10 years ago and they're still competitive now. They take a little more work to get them ready for the track, compared to a 3rd gen. But I don't think I'll be outriding my bike with my ability this upcoming season.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Well I'd definitely have the forks re-valved and put a Penske or Ohlins rear shock all by someone that has lots of experience with the bike. When you say I'll be laughing, you mean because it will handle so well?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 AM
sell me a red powerband

Good call, and you can always find one used so just keep your eye out. And yes the handing difference from those main 4 (front forks, rear shock, rear sets and clip on). It's a significant improvement over stock.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

I've heard a lot of way-more-experience-than-me racers declare the 2nd gen R6 to be one of the best sportbike chassis ever, and is generally easier to ride than the 3rd gen, but the 3rd gen is all-out faster when ridden by someone who really knows what they're doing.

There's a dude on here, Melk-Man who's the #1 plate holder for WERA Southwest (or CCS?) and has ridden R6s his whole career, and his fastest lap at Jennings was set on a 2nd gen.

Clif Notes: The 2nd gen can still get down and is easy to ride. If you want to compete for expert-level podiums, get a 3rd gen.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Pobrecitos

Bike: 08 R6S + 08 R6LE

Love the connect throttle feeling I get from my S over the "r" fly by wire.... Some have also stated you can get better front end feel from the S, but I'm not fast enough to notice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Well suddenly I found a 2006 fully race prepped for a great price. I was all set to build an S but this would save me thousands and thousands.

7100 miles, 3000 of which are track on the stock motor. He has paperwork and pictures to prove all this. Will I need to worry about the motor giving up anytime soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in