i have a question about Engine Ice and Water Wetter at the track - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pseager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

i have a question about Engine Ice and Water Wetter at the track

Hi Guys i have a question. Sorry if it sounds dumb. Please i'd like real answers or people that actually knows what they are talking about, and are not guessing. I've seen incidents at the track where people fall of they bike and antifreeze leaks at the track, and you know, it takes time to clean the spill up. So i'm trying to avoid that by doing my part in case i have an incident and my bike spills antifreeze. i would hate to ruin peoples day like some people have ruined mine in some instances. I want to change my regular antifreeze to engine ice or water wetter. I'm leaning towards the engine ice since it has antifreeze on it, and i don't have to take it out of the bike before winter comes. But my real question is. why is it a good idea to change it? Is it because both of those products in case of a spill at the track, they don't make the surface of the track slippery like regular antifreeze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:03 AM
I eat my R6

Re: i have a question about Engine Ice and Water Wetter at the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidera00 View Post
Hi Guys i have a question. Sorry if it sounds dumb. Please i'd like real answers or people that actually knows what they are talking about, and are not guessing. I've seen incidents at the track where people fall of they bike and antifreeze leaks at the track, and you know, it takes time to clean the spill up. So i'm trying to avoid that by doing my part in case i have an incident and my bike spills antifreeze. i would hate to ruin peoples day like some people have ruined mine in some instances. I want to change my regular antifreeze to engine ice or water wetter. I'm leaning towards the engine ice since it has antifreeze on it, and i don't have to take it out of the bike before winter comes. But my real question is. why is it a good idea to change it? Is it because both of those products in case of a spill at the track, they don't make the surface of the track slippery like regular antifreeze?
Just like oil, glycol-based antifreeze is slick and difficult to clean off the track. Switching to 100% distilled water eliminates the antifreeze problem, but lacks corrosion resistance. Engine ice and waterwetter claim to provide both corrosion resistance and increased cooling. Check with your track org, some don't allow engine ice, but waterwetter seems pretty widely accepted.

Like oil drain bolts and line clamps, it's a good idea to safety wire your coolant fill and drain plugs, as well as all of the coolant line clamps.
BMAF likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thank you

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W

Plain water will crash you too. Some orgs ban "ethylene glycol" some ban "glycol based" coolants. So check to be sure. The ones I run and race in allow propylene glycol coolant so I use EI. The big difference is PG coolants can easily be soaked up with a rag or "kitty litter" absorbant. We, on the safety crew use "litter" for any wet spill on a dry track. EG does not evaporate, while PG will on hot asphalt. BTW, I would recommend MoCool from Motul over Water Wetter. The anti corrosion properties are much better.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:53 PM
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j

Glycol in antifreeze is slick and harder to clean up than just water. Engine ice or water wetter both work. I use ww as it's cheaper and I run it with distilled water. Regular tap water with all the minerals causes more electrolysis, no good.

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM
My R6 eats me.

As been said above -- most PG products will be slippery. One way we've learned to clean them up is to use a propane burner instead of track dry or litter. Most often quicker.

I use the motocool stuff, too. Best way to figure out whats legal is check with the organization you're going to ride with. Everybody allows water, (obvi), not everybody allows other stuff.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Distilled water/water wetter is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in