Open-Source Data Acquisition and Telemetry - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Open-Source Data Acquisition and Telemetry

I am building an open-source track/race data acquisition and telemetry kit - take a look

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ideas, contributions, interest are all welcome!

The kit is targeted for the $200 range with the following features:
  • IMU
  • GPS
  • TM Radio
  • Analog Inputs
  • Digital Inputs
  • ECU Interface
  • SD Card Data Logging
  • Laptop or PC Pit Monitoring

I am integrating on an '05 R6 race bike. Let me know what you think or what features you would like to see in something like this.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 AM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6
Re: Open-Source Data Acquisition and Telemetry

interesting....want to see how this plays out

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

What's IMU and TM Radio?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
What's IMU and TM Radio?
IMU would be inertial measurements unit....accelerometers to check for yaw/pitch (lean angle, forward/rear pitch etc). Same is used in R1 etc for traction control settings with lean angle and wheelie sensors/limiters.

With the right software, these can be used as input to correct for power delivery for wheelie control and traction control. May also need wheel speed sensors for traction control.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Having trackday withdraws

Bike: 2009 R6

Cool project! If he gets the INS working that'd be sooo sick. There's a lot of work ahead. You could accurately calculate lean angle instead of integrating a gyro like they do now.
That being said, If you need any help please reach out. I've never done anything with the intel board before, but I do thing kind of stuff for my day job.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for the offer -

It's open source - so I am hoping to get a lot of contributors and/or people looking at the software.

I just posted initial code for the micro controller with a light-weight executive and a couple things integrated.

My background - guidance and control engineer with a heavy background in software. Been doing different degrees of embedded systems for years. I have a good idea how to do all pieces of this - more or less. My available time is the biggest factor - now that weekend track sessions are winding down for the year in the AZ, I should have more. That being said - any contributions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
What's IMU and TM Radio?
IMU would be inertial measurements unit.
Right on the IMU -

TM is for telemetry - plan is to have a radio with a 3 mile range to transmit live data back to the pit - then display the data on a real-time display (e.g. laptop).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Having trackday withdraws

Bike: 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fanciullo View Post
Right on the IMU -

TM is for telemetry - plan is to have a radio with a 3 mile range to transmit live data back to the pit - then display the data on a real-time display (e.g. laptop).
3 miles is very ambitious. Especially with an xbee. The company I work for offers a 900Mhz telemetry solution and that has a 1W transmitter in it. Most tracks it does alright, but some with lots of elevation changes there are dropouts. I would definitely add telemetry as a further out goal. I envision that most people running this thing will be 1 man shows where they will not even use telemetry.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Agree that it's ambitious! Good points and I am thinking the same thing. I am writing the software to be hardware independent (as much as possible, low level drivers and things like that will be HW specific) so that comms can be performed with any radio - and if someone chooses no radio - no problem.

Good advice on radio priority. I am more or less a 1 man crew when I do this and I have wondered about the usefulness of a data link- I just want to see if I can do it and make it cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in