General Q: Laguna Trackdays and Aftermarket Exhaust - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '06 R6 - #31
General Q: Laguna Trackdays and Aftermarket Exhaust

I'm a second owner of an '06 R6 track bike that has a an aftermarket exhaust system (straight-thru exhaust, headers with a Yosh can). For those that have done track days at Laguna, will that setup get meatballed (i.e. too loud)? And if so, will simply changing the can, back to stock, get me under the limit or do I need to revert the whole exhaust (headers and all)?

I haven't taken it to that particular track (nor Sonoma) yet, so I want to make I'd be compliant before I waste the time.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 Yamaha R6
Re: General Q: Laguna Trackdays and Aftermarket Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazamali View Post
I'm a second owner of an '06 R6 track bike that has a an aftermarket exhaust system (straight-thru exhaust, headers with a Yosh can). For those that have done track days at Laguna, will that setup get meatballed (i.e. too loud)? And if so, will simply changing the can, back to stock, get me under the limit or do I need to revert the whole exhaust (headers and all)?

I haven't taken it to that particular track (nor Sonoma) yet, so I want to make I'd be compliant before I waste the time.

Thanks!
I have not personally been there so take this with a grain of salt, but from various rider videos I've seen, they have the sound booth corner marked with cones to force riders to slow down, thus limiting exhaust noise... I'd check with the trackday organization to see if they run this configuration first. This might determine whether or not you need to do anything to your bike or not.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

If you are going WOT past the sound booth, yes you will blow the limit. The stock can without the cat box is pretty loud too. I have heard that the full stock system will just barely pass, and sometimes even that can fail. I'm not sure if that was before or after the limit got reduced to 90db. I have a Leo Vince full system and this is what I do... coming out of turn 5 I short-shift up to 4th and keep the revs limited to ~11 or 12k until I get to the turn 6 brake point. After that it's back to 100%. It has not failed me, and everyone in the A group goes slow up that hill because they're all trying not to blow the limit.

Whatever you decide to do with your exhaust, you can do a sound check first thing in the morning. Do it and see what happens. Pay close attention to your throttle position and revs as you go past the booth. That way you know how close you are to the limit and can ride accordingly after that.

Isn't Sonoma's limit 102db? That's MUCH louder, and not a problem at all for most people.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '06 R6 - #31

Awesome. Super helpful reply, HIS! Sounds like I'll just try the stock can with the existing pipes and do the turn 5 short-shift trick. I totally forgot that the soundbooth was at that location.

(and you're right: Sonoma is WAY louder...no issues there)

Thanks, much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in