Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
I remember when I got bumped as well. Humbling for sure.

But just to rain on your guys' parade, just remember that fast people don't do track days.

Um, you don't think MotoAmerica podium guys are fast? Probably 30% of most of the A group sessions in the org I use are serious racers. Not just provisional novice guys. wERA and CCS experts and plate holders. And almost always one or two motoamerica guys.

You're running with the wrong org.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Sure, there's the occasional exception where some really fast guys come out to play. Yesterday it was Josh Herrin that came out and rode with us. We've even had the Graves-Yamaha big-rig show up for practice time at a track day. But in general, High Side is right. In my experience the average A group guy on an average track day rides at a pace that would put you at the back half of a novice class club race. I usually only see the expert class front-runners on race days.
TurboBlew and High Side like this.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Sure, there's the occasional exception where some really fast guys come out to play. Yesterday it was Josh Herrin that came out and rode with us. We've even had the Graves-Yamaha big-rig show up for practice time at a track day. But in general, High Side is right. In my experience the average A group guy on an average track day rides at a pace that would put you at the back half of a novice class club race. I usually only see the expert class front-runners on race days.

Again. You're riding with the wrong org then. We have expert guys every single a session and MA guys very very frequently. It all depends on who you are riding with. I see Ant, Paasch, CJ, Frankie, all the time.

"A" lap times vary from expert averages to a bit slower than some provisional novices. Again, more than 20% of our "a" grids are racers. Of them probably 20% are current WERA or CCS experts. Many with current or recent championships.

Don't make the very big mistake of lumping all track orgs together. Your experience in this is really an indication of the variation in how different orgs are structured.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Yamaha 4 Life

Biggest thing to get used to, at least for me, was getting stuffed on the inside. Nothing quite as off putting as dragging knee and getting stood up, especially when you're not expecting it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I also dont really agree with some of the commentary above. Generally I ride with ACE and TPM, and there are lots of fast riders. Probably around 10-15% of the guys in advanced/expert are CCS racers, some of whom are very quick. I dont know many names but almost every time I ride with ACE Ricky O'Hare (current CCS Atlantic leader) is on the track with me. Many other guys were recent winners or still pack leaders.

Last edited by Ebster1085; 06-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Again. You're riding with the wrong org then.
What the heck is that supposed to mean? You say that like it's a put down. I've ridden with a handful of groups in my region and that has been my experience with all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster1085 View Post
Biggest thing to get used to, at least for me, was getting stuffed on the inside. Nothing quite as off putting as dragging knee and getting stood up, especially when you're not expecting it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The org I work for doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, even in the advanced group. Outside of competition there's no reason to force another rider off his line.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? You say that like it's a put down. I've ridden with a handful of groups in my region and that has been my experience with all of them.

The org I work for doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, even in the advanced group. Outside of competition there's no reason to force another rider off his line.

I mean exactly what I said. You made a statement that is simply not true. It's not a put down. It is simply what it is. There are orgs that racers routinely ride with. Apparently they aren't the ones you ride with. Not good or bad. Just reality. You acknowledge that you work for an org, so maybe there's a touchy spot there. You made blanket statements about all orgs based on your experience in your region and the statement is not accurate. Some orgs even have and sponsor very successful racers. Including MotoAmerica riders (hint).

I absolutely agree that that "stuffing " is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.
Straight Success likes this.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Ive been to track days out west where it was pointed out in the riders meeting that some very fast riders were present and were segregated in their own group. Then Ive been to some where the "A" group is sold out and those guys just buy a spot in the B group...lol.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
I mean exactly what I said. You made a statement that is simply not true. It's not a put down. It is simply what it is. There are orgs that racers routinely ride with. Apparently they aren't the ones you ride with. Not good or bad. Just reality. You acknowledge that you work for an org, so maybe there's a touchy spot there. You made blanket statements about all orgs based on your experience in your region and the statement is not accurate. Some orgs even have and sponsor very successful racers. Including MotoAmerica riders (hint).

I absolutely agree that that "stuffing " is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.
What are your lap times at Thunderbolt if you don't mind sharing?

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
What are your lap times at Thunderbolt if you don't mind sharing?

What the hell do my lap times at jersey or anywhere else have to do with the subject. Geez. On which bike? It wouldn't matter if they were 26's or 30's. I never said I was on the podium.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM

Btw, not at all afraid to admit that there's no way I can keep up with Ant, or many of he folks that very very routinely ride with us. Not for long. But I do enjoy being out there with them. I've absolutely picked up some time following them at several tracks that benefited me later.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in