Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pgh PA
Posts: 74
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
I remember when I got bumped as well. Humbling for sure.

But just to rain on your guys' parade, just remember that fast people don't do track days.


Um, you don't think MotoAmerica podium guys are fast? Probably 30% of most of the A group sessions in the org I use are serious racers. Not just provisional novice guys. wERA and CCS experts and plate holders. And almost always one or two motoamerica guys.

You're running with the wrong org.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
wmhjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Mr. HER6
 
HIS OWN 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA central coast
Posts: 2,084
Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Sure, there's the occasional exception where some really fast guys come out to play. Yesterday it was Josh Herrin that came out and rode with us. We've even had the Graves-Yamaha big-rig show up for practice time at a track day. But in general, High Side is right. In my experience the average A group guy on an average track day rides at a pace that would put you at the back half of a novice class club race. I usually only see the expert class front-runners on race days.
TurboBlew and High Side like this.
HIS OWN 6 is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pgh PA
Posts: 74
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Sure, there's the occasional exception where some really fast guys come out to play. Yesterday it was Josh Herrin that came out and rode with us. We've even had the Graves-Yamaha big-rig show up for practice time at a track day. But in general, High Side is right. In my experience the average A group guy on an average track day rides at a pace that would put you at the back half of a novice class club race. I usually only see the expert class front-runners on race days.


Again. You're riding with the wrong org then. We have expert guys every single a session and MA guys very very frequently. It all depends on who you are riding with. I see Ant, Paasch, CJ, Frankie, all the time.

"A" lap times vary from expert averages to a bit slower than some provisional novices. Again, more than 20% of our "a" grids are racers. Of them probably 20% are current WERA or CCS experts. Many with current or recent championships.

Don't make the very big mistake of lumping all track orgs together. Your experience in this is really an indication of the variation in how different orgs are structured.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
wmhjr is offline  
 
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Yamaha 4 Life
 
Ebster1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 514
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Biggest thing to get used to, at least for me, was getting stuffed on the inside. Nothing quite as off putting as dragging knee and getting stood up, especially when you're not expecting it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I also dont really agree with some of the commentary above. Generally I ride with ACE and TPM, and there are lots of fast riders. Probably around 10-15% of the guys in advanced/expert are CCS racers, some of whom are very quick. I dont know many names but almost every time I ride with ACE Ricky O'Hare (current CCS Atlantic leader) is on the track with me. Many other guys were recent winners or still pack leaders.

Last edited by Ebster1085; 06-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Ebster1085 is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Mr. HER6
 
HIS OWN 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA central coast
Posts: 2,084
Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Again. You're riding with the wrong org then.
What the heck is that supposed to mean? You say that like it's a put down. I've ridden with a handful of groups in my region and that has been my experience with all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster1085 View Post
Biggest thing to get used to, at least for me, was getting stuffed on the inside. Nothing quite as off putting as dragging knee and getting stood up, especially when you're not expecting it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The org I work for doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, even in the advanced group. Outside of competition there's no reason to force another rider off his line.
HIS OWN 6 is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pgh PA
Posts: 74
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
What the heck is that supposed to mean? You say that like it's a put down. I've ridden with a handful of groups in my region and that has been my experience with all of them.





The org I work for doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, even in the advanced group. Outside of competition there's no reason to force another rider off his line.


I mean exactly what I said. You made a statement that is simply not true. It's not a put down. It is simply what it is. There are orgs that racers routinely ride with. Apparently they aren't the ones you ride with. Not good or bad. Just reality. You acknowledge that you work for an org, so maybe there's a touchy spot there. You made blanket statements about all orgs based on your experience in your region and the statement is not accurate. Some orgs even have and sponsor very successful racers. Including MotoAmerica riders (hint).

I absolutely agree that that "stuffing " is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.
Straight Success likes this.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
wmhjr is offline  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
 
TurboBlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 4,656
Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Sure, there's the occasional exception where some really fast guys come out to play. Yesterday it was Josh Herrin that came out and rode with us. We've even had the Graves-Yamaha big-rig show up for practice time at a track day. But in general, High Side is right. In my experience the average A group guy on an average track day rides at a pace that would put you at the back half of a novice class club race. I usually only see the expert class front-runners on race days.
Ive been to track days out west where it was pointed out in the riders meeting that some very fast riders were present and were segregated in their own group. Then Ive been to some where the "A" group is sold out and those guys just buy a spot in the B group...lol.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TurboBlew is offline  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!
 
Straight Success's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: On both coast!
Posts: 1,141
Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
I mean exactly what I said. You made a statement that is simply not true. It's not a put down. It is simply what it is. There are orgs that racers routinely ride with. Apparently they aren't the ones you ride with. Not good or bad. Just reality. You acknowledge that you work for an org, so maybe there's a touchy spot there. You made blanket statements about all orgs based on your experience in your region and the statement is not accurate. Some orgs even have and sponsor very successful racers. Including MotoAmerica riders (hint).

I absolutely agree that that "stuffing " is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.
What are your lap times at Thunderbolt if you don't mind sharing?

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Straight Success is online now  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pgh PA
Posts: 74
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
What are your lap times at Thunderbolt if you don't mind sharing?


What the hell do my lap times at jersey or anywhere else have to do with the subject. Geez. On which bike? It wouldn't matter if they were 26's or 30's. I never said I was on the podium.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
wmhjr is offline  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pgh PA
Posts: 74
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Btw, not at all afraid to admit that there's no way I can keep up with Ant, or many of he folks that very very routinely ride with us. Not for long. But I do enjoy being out there with them. I've absolutely picked up some time following them at several tracks that benefited me later.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
wmhjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What group to ride for first track day? Carlos_R6s RACE Section 17 07-10-2013 12:19 PM
One day only sale at Advanced Auto $30% off Sh1tmeh General Discussions 3 09-30-2012 05:19 PM
Motoyard Track Day - Columbus day, October 8th at the Big Track of Willow motoyard South West 0 09-14-2012 05:26 PM
what group for next track day??? MUDGRUNTZ Track Tech & Riding Techniques 27 05-22-2012 05:59 AM
looking for track day group in NJ.. crossroads General Discussions 1 07-15-2006 11:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome