LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
What the hell do my lap times at jersey or anywhere else have to do with the subject. Geez. On which bike? It wouldn't matter if they were 26's or 30's. I never said I was on the podium.
Damn, calm down. It ain't that serious. I was just asking. Not really to compare to anyone else's times. I know a few people who ride over there. I remember seeing some really fast guy there on a regular basis when I would go. He was a PRO. I forgot his name though. Might have been Kenny or Bobby.

Quote:
Btw, not at all afraid to admit that there's no way I can keep up with Ant, or many of he folks that very very routinely ride with us. Not for long. But I do enjoy being out there with them. I've absolutely picked up some time following them at several tracks that benefited me later.
I can imagine. That's how we improve. That's how they improved at some point.

I'm not sure at which point this became a pissing match for some. Remember, it's track days; not racing - at least not yet anyway.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

No prob. Here's what I will say. Outside of either sprints or endurance, our typical "A" groups range in lap times at bolt between 28's and 40's on average. An awful lot are in the 30 to 34 range. And a handful are in the mid/high 20's. A fair amount will be in the low 40's. Admittedly it's very very rare that you'll see a lap in the low 20's (like 22's-24's) but every once in a while......

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 PM

That's exactly why I pushed back on the notion that "fast guys don't do track days". We have a very strong relationship with the race orgs and compliment them - to the extent of partnering with them. We are partnered with YCRS. As a result we get an awful lot of their participation. They have some confidence that they're not going to be taken out by some weekend rookie who's riding over their head. And frankly, the majority of our CR's are current racers.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Yamaha 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
The org I work for doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, even in the advanced group. Outside of competition there's no reason to force another rider off his line.
Yea, I tend to agree, and it was the hardest thing for me to get used to. TPM only allows inside passes in advanced but they do always add the disclaimer of the "few feet rule" to dissuade stuffing or close combat scenarios.

Naturally, that tends to go out the window when you have a bunch of ego maniacs out there all trying to prove how fast they are
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Quote:
I mean exactly what I said. You made a statement that is simply not true. It's not a put down. It is simply what it is. There are orgs that racers routinely ride with. Apparently they aren't the ones you ride with. Not good or bad. Just reality. You acknowledge that you work for an org, so maybe there's a touchy spot there. You made blanket statements about all orgs based on your experience in your region and the statement is not accurate. Some orgs even have and sponsor very successful racers. Including MotoAmerica riders (hint).

I absolutely agree that that "stuffing " is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.
Not a touchy spot. But maybe I took your comment the wrong way. It's just my experience with the region, and I've ridden with most of the orgs around here. The TD groups have always had a much different feel. The really fast guys don't seem to come out much. I think it's too aggravating for them to try to get some real practice in with slower riders out there, especially when they have to be much more restrained in their passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Ive been to track days out west where it was pointed out in the riders meeting that some very fast riders were present and were segregated in their own group. Then Ive been to some where the "A" group is sold out and those guys just buy a spot in the B group...lol.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Their own group? That's service! The pro-level guys that come out here are generally just out to have fun with their friends, not really pushing it. They have always been very courteous to other riders.

Ugh... Our B group is usually the first to fill up, so sometimes guys will sign up for C thinking they can just bump up. We will make them sit out and wait.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Their own group? That's service! The pro-level guys that come out here are generally just out to have fun with their friends, not really pushing it. They have always been very courteous to other riders.
Ugh... Our B group is usually the first to fill up, so sometimes guys will sign up for C thinking they can just bump up. We will make them sit out and wait.
If its a circuit on a the schedule (cough cough laguna)... some may not even use their real names...lol.
Also the racer group got to turn some laps during lunch.
Straight Success likes this.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

I made a thread a while ago regarding tires, and in that thread, I said 'that' is the level I aspire to ride at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
That's exactly why I pushed back on the notion that "fast guys don't do track days". We have a very strong relationship with the race orgs and compliment them - to the extent of partnering with them. We are partnered with YCRS. As a result we get an awful lot of their participation. They have some confidence that they're not going to be taken out by some weekend rookie who's riding over their head. And frankly, the majority of our CR's are current racers.
Poor Bill. Don't even know who I am. LOL. I'll fill you in at Pitt and you'll have a laugh.

But either way, my point still stands. Ok, so let me be a bit more technical about it. Fast guys don't TYPICALLY do track days. You average track day Advanced group guy isn't that fast and will typically get stomped by a fast Novice racer. You are trying to point out the 1%'ers in the group and that's just not an accurate gauge of the track day rider population.

Anything above 55's at Pitt isn't fast. Anything above 35's isn't fast at T-Bolt.

For the one west coast guy asking, my PB was 31 at Tbolt and 48's at PittRace. I ran 33's--mid 34's for an hour straight at the Jersey endurance. I still don't consider myself fast, because I figure anything I can do can't possibly be that difficult if I'm able to do it. Fast is sub 30's at TBolt and sub 45's at Pitt.

You keep talking about these expert riders that ride in advanced group. I'm one of them, 2017 being my 4th year as a WERA expert. Just because you got white plates doesn't mean you're fast either....me as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM

I agree that over 55s at Pitt today isn't fast. At least until the chicane goes in. But you don't think there are low 50s being run all the time?? Not by the majority. But my point was that there are fast guys at most every track day. Yup - they're the top of the heap but they're there.

Who the heck are you? And are you going anywhere this weekend?

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

When I was at Thunderbolt last year, I was told that the MotoAmerica guys run high 20s low 30s in the rain at Thunderbolt.

There are a few things that I miss about being home back on the East Coast, but one thing that's for sure, no matter where I travel, there seems to to be fast racers everywhere.

I figure I'll keep doing track days until I step up to a pace where I can keep slicks at the optimal temperature, and then try to get my racers license. By that point, I should be able to follow some of the faster guys in Advance - possibly the top 10-20%. That's my mid-term goals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in