Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

This is my experience stepping up to Expert/Group A from Intermediate/Group B.

Initial reaction - I was scared. Not scared as in fearful, but scared I would push too hard, make a mistake, and possibly having something go wrong. I think this was me being conservative as to not make a serious probably damaging mistake. However, after evaluating my short time riding in the advance group, I see this is exactly where I need to be. Let me explain.

First thing, I was doing a track day at a track I've never been to before - Buttonwillow to be exact. It's a GREAT track in my opinion. First I asked for a control rider to show me the race line. This was my first session, fresh tires, and the control rider was on slicks that just came off of the warmers. He pulled away from me after turn 4. I was okay with that. This track is so user friendly that I was able to pick up lines, breaking points, and apexes within the first two laps. And, knowing that I am at the slower pace of advanced, people were passing me - I was fine with that. I even got split in a corner being passed, one on the inside and one on the outside. That made me laugh, and I told myself, these are the guys I need to follow. That started me onto pushing my limits as that's what I needed.

My bike ended up having a mechanical failure on my second session, and that was no fun. It essentially ended my track day on my bike. This happened right around the time where I realized where everything was, and I was about to pick up my pace.

The day wasn't terrible as I got to ride a RSV4 for two sessions. I felt really comfortable on the bike, and I easily followed the race line, hit all of the apexes, entry and exit points, with some what great precision.

Going back by looking at the video from the two sessions on my bike and the experience from the RSV4, I realize how much more speed I can carry on my bike the next time. I also saw where I was hesitant in my riding on my R6. However, reflecting on the RSV4, I pushed wayyy harder then I did on my R6. I'm not sure why.

At present, me being at the slow end of advanced is exactly where I need to be to get to the next level. Make no mistake, riding at this level is not for the faint of the heart. They ride hard and serious out there; damn near never on the center of their tires.

I do, and I repeat, I DO, have to make some modifications to my bike to perform better. Things that I need to keep up the pace is as follows, full tune and exhaust, front and rear sprockets for better acceleration, get my suspension more in tune than it already is, and some new rear sets. The main thing I was lacking from an almost stock R6 was overall acceleration.

Lastly, you can damn near probably run 70% of Buttonwillow at WOT on an R6 in my opinion. There were so many times I let off the throttle, and there was no need to at all.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 05-30-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage
Re: Doing A Track Day In A/Advanced Group

*Smash that like button*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Glad you got to ride the Aprilia and get some more track time. Skip the tune and exhaust, though. It's a lot of money for a little bit of power, and it won't teach you anything or make you more comfortable. You will drop FAR more time just improving on your skills.

However if Anthony is still doing Bauce Racing ECU flashes, I would recommend getting that just for the throttle response alone. It's so much easier to be smooth when you crack the throttle back open compared to the stock settings.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamzeppelin View Post
*Smash that like button*
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Glad you got to ride the Aprilia and get some more track time. Skip the tune and exhaust, though. It's a lot of money for a little bit of power, and it won't teach you anything or make you more comfortable. You will drop FAR more time just improving on your skills.

However if Anthony is still doing Bauce Racing ECU flashes, I would recommend getting that just for the throttle response alone. It's so much easier to be smooth when you crack the throttle back open compared to the stock settings.
I'm seriously thinking about that to get rid of the jerkiness of the stock throttle responsiveness. That, and I'm tired of having to turn the throttle so damn far to get to WOT. I think I need something like 1/6th turn or less.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I eat my R6

I definitely feel that riding with faster people will make you faster. Obviously, you have to be capable and comfortable to just keep up at the faster speeds (low end of the pack, at least) and doing it safely. Great job. I remember when I hopped into A group. I felt scared AF, guys were passing me like I was standing still.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
then you just get comfortable and feel it's actually much safer than the other groups. haha.

i've been off the track for sometime. I'll prob jump back into B-group if anything, depending on the track. I haven't raced or done a trackday for about two years. Been too long.
Straight Success likes this.

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddagascar View Post
I definitely feel that riding with faster people will make you faster. Obviously, you have to be capable and comfortable to just keep up at the faster speeds (low end of the pack, at least) and doing it safely. Great job. I remember when I hopped into A group. I felt scared AF, guys were passing me like I was standing still.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
then you just get comfortable and feel it's actually much safer than the other groups. haha.

i've been off the track for sometime. I'll prob jump back into B-group if anything, depending on the track. I haven't raced or done a trackday for about two years. Been too long.
I agree with what you said whole heartedly. It definitely takes skill and comfort to ride in A group.

Another big thing is, depending on the track, most people running A group know the tracks well. That and many of them are on liter bikes. That's a recipe that makes even a top notch top 5% B group rider work his or her @ss off on a R6. The R6 is a great bike, but when stepping up to A group, be prepared to keep your throttle on go most if not all of the damn time. Oh, and bring an extra set of knee pucks too!

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Looking at and studying the video, I'm highly impressed. I managed to stay with a group of 3 riders for an entire lap before my bike failed. I also gained about 1 second on them as well. I don't think they were pushing 100%, but still...

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

I remember when I got bumped as well. Humbling for sure.

But just to rain on your guys' parade, just remember that fast people don't do track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post

But just to rain on your guys' parade, just remember that fast people don't do track days.
Actually, I've seen people who race (WERA, CCS, AMA) come to track days and use the sessions to practice. They ARE fast. Those Moto America guys ARE extremely fast.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post

BTW, what is your definition of fast (Josh Hayes, Tom Sykes, Johann Zarco)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in