Motorcycle Trailer Ideas - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Motorcycle Trailer Ideas

I have trouble loading/unloading my r6 into my truck bed on my own and do not want to risk dropping it. I was looking for low cost ways other than a step ladder and ramp for trailing it. Does anyone have experience with the horizontal carriers that hitch to back of truck? I am considering something like this one pictured and am wondering what people experiences/opinions are. Or any other ideas? I was considering a winch attached to top of truck bed behind window with a remote I could control while handling bike up the ramp. Id rather spend the money on something similar to what I linked. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	258761-M.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	350369  

Last edited by telamont; 02-05-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: Motorcycle Trailer Ideas

For what you would spend for that, you could buy a cheap (used) Harbor Freight trailer. You'll be glad you did. Easier on the bike and you can use it for so many other things.
TurboBlew and High Side like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
For what you would spend for that, you could buy a cheap (used) Harbor Freight trailer. You'll be glad you did. Easier on the bike and you can use it for so many other things.
How are the wheel bearings on those Harbor Freight trailers? I don't always trust Harbor Freight Products, and rolling down a highway at 60mph with one of their trailers would make me nervous, haha.

Oh and just read they actually recalled their trailers do to tire issues.

Last edited by Flyers28; 02-06-2018 at 01:33 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:50 PM
I eat my R6

Utility trailer with cycle gear wheel chalk and two rachet straps.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1

I used a HF trailer for 2 years without a single issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
How are the wheel bearings on those Harbor Freight trailers? I don't always trust Harbor Freight Products, and rolling down a highway at 60mph with one of their trailers would make me nervous, haha.

They are "ok" if you happen to catch em on sale and dont need to use it that often. I would definitely get the upgrade 15" wheels if you plan on doing some highway driving. If youre just driving around town the 12" wheels are fine.

What cracked me up was a buddy of mine was too cheap to buy a proper $600 open trailer and opted for the HF one. Then put a pitbull restraint system on it. That cost more than the trailer!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
He was toying with the idea of "enclosing" one...lol
Flyers28 and The Evil Twin like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
I eat my R6

They aren't for sale right now because of a recall, would recommend the Ironton option from the other thread.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W

A trailer is much more versatile. I used a Black widow carrier when I had a SUV. The thing is solid as a rock. I just used it for dirt bike hauling but a buddy takes his Triumph to the Dragon on one annually.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post

Sucks they stopped selling them. I used one for years and years. Towed my bike all over the east coast. I think one mistake people make is not packing the bearings when they are new. They were barely lubed on mine. Every year I pulled the hubs and repacked the grease. Never had a problem and the new owner is still using it.
Flyers28 likes this.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Shiny side up

Versahaul

They make one for sport bikes, have used it for years with heavier bikes than R6.
Keep in mind you need some kind of full sized truck to tow safely.

Front will get real light if wheelbase is short or suspension too soft.

d

2018 Yamaha R6
2015 BMW R1200GS
2003 Ducati 749s
1973 Honda CB350

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
Good point on the weight. Your vehicle needs to be capable of a 500 pound tongue weight (per the owners manual, not what is printed on the hitch) for carting around the R6.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in