2005 brake upgrade options? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
vancouverite

Bike: 2005 r6
2005 brake upgrade options?

Hello, im looking to upgrade my 2005 r6 brakes.

Do any r1 gen brakes bolt on to my fork? Also, what do you guys recommend for lever and replacement rotor.
I already have had stainless steel line installed, can i reuse those if i can find a new caliper and lever?
thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:45 PM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1
Re: 2005 brake upgrade options?

Yes. Lines can be reused. Most people that change OE R6 master cylinders go to a Brembo RCS19.
If you are just changing levers, then brake lines will have absolutely nothing to do with it. But stay away from ASV if you go just the levers route (personal preference/opinion).
Rotors all depend on what you want to spend. Cheaper route will be Galfers, more expensive will be the BrakeTech stainless and after that you get BrakeTech iron (SEVERE overkill for the street).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
vancouverite

Bike: 2005 r6

is it safe to just buy any RCS19 on second hand, or does it need to be r6 specific(labeled by brembo off shelf) RSC19

also, how much difference in power will it make? i understand it'll make tremendous difference in feel but just wondering if its worth upgrading caliper.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Your 05 has the same calipers and master cylinder as all the 3rd gen bikes. They are great components as long as they are in good working shape. You already have SS lines, so fresh fluid and good pads are all you need for excellent brakes. Forget about a caliper upgrade. The stock calipers are fantastic, again, if they are in good working order.

A 19mm Brembo is a nice upgrade over the stock MC. I have used them for many years, so I am quite fond of them. They are universal, so any one will work, as long as it's in good shape. FYI... you have to send it to Brembo if it needs a rebuild. They don't sell the parts to service the internals yourself.

Rotors... are yours worn? They last a really long time! If not, then there's really nothing to gain unless you want to get a larger set and space out your calipers. Personally, I think that's a waste. My wife's 05 has the same calipers, pads and MC as my 08, and I cannot tell the difference on the smaller rotors. Both are OEM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Like stated above 05 used the same components as the 06-16 models. However Im not one to leave things alone.

Currently Ive got the RCS19, Brembo CNC calipers, Braking batfly rotors, stainless steel lines, vented brake air ducts (more for looks honestly) and vesrah rjl pads. But with that being said now my front brake setup is technically worth more than the bike is

March 2014 Bike of the month

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

clean your calipers good, fresh fluid and brake pads (rotor hone would be good). Brembo RCS19 is good upgrade, if you want feel Vs bite difference, but htey are not clearly felt for street riding, only aggressive track/race situations.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in