Should I switch to GP shift? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2013 R6
Should I switch to GP shift?

I plan on doing my first Trackday this year and was wondering if I should switch over to GP shift now to try to get used to it. Since I will obviously be riding in the novice group, I'm sure I won't be getting low enough that I can't get my foot under the shift lever to upshift, but if I plan on advancing, which I do, I'm thinking I should make the switch now. I will still be riding the bike on the street as well. What you you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650
Re: Should I switch to GP shift?

I rode for 40 years before I got on the track, and 2 years on the track before I switched to GP. And I still ride standard shift on all my street bikes.

You will only shift from 2nd to 1st at 100mph once. Then you will never forget again. Don't ask how I know.

You will have enough on your mind as a new novice to be worrying about GP shift. Hold off until you have a few track weekends under your belt. Just my 2c.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Agreed, you will have more things going on than you know what to do with itself. Why throw learning GP shift into the mix. The best thing about riding trackdays after agressive street riding is that every turn is in the exact same place every time you go around (minus the potential for bikes and riders to be skidding the pavement or a super rare animal across the race track)

I see youre in PA what track are you going to and who is the trackday org?

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2013 R6

I was thinking about the New York Safety Track, it's only about 2 hours away from me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 17 r6

Agreed with these two. I had a few track days under my belt before I made the switch!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

The voice of a different perspective. I switched to GP shift immediately upon starting to go to the track. It was immediately easier and sure makes sense. I would never go back to standard shift and found the transition incredibly easy.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:11 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Never made it up to NYST but heard its pretty fun

March 2014 Bike of the month

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 PM
I eat my R6

I have thought about switching but I would think I would need to switch my street bike too? @
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It doesn’t mess with your head going back and forth?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duder View Post
I have thought about switching but I would think I would need to switch my street bike too? @
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It doesn’t mess with your head going back and forth?
You would think it would, but it does not at all. My track bike is an R6 but my street bikes are FZ1, GoldWing, a couple of street cruisers and a dirt bike. The only time I have ever had to think about it is when I was on my son's SV650. I guess when I'm in sportbike mode, my left foot just wants to do GP. That, and being in a whole different world on the track vs the street.

It is so nice to be hauling butt through turn 1 and not have to feel around for the shifter. Just give it a quick tap and go. Head down, shift down. Head up, shift up.

Now here's what will mess with your head... I learned to ride on a Bultaco. Shift on the right, brake on the left. Took me all of 15 seconds to crash the 1st Jap bike I got on.
El Duder likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 PM
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6

If you are sure you want to make the change then do it asap and ride on the street with gp shift to get used to it. I love gp shift and will never go back. It's so much nicer to just click down when accelerating. NYST is also about 2 hours from me but i'm in MA. I've been there 4 times now (2 days uptown and 2 days downtown) and now that i know the track its not too bad but at first i wasn't a big fan. It's very tight and technical. Would be a lot of fun on a motard. Every turn is off camber and the track doesn't seem to flow. And the track is literally in the middle of no where lol. So get gas ahead of time. The facility isn't the greatest and the pits are absolutely terrible haha. Should make the drive to new jersey motorsports park. I drive 5.5 hours every month to go down there. They have 2 tracks and they're both well worth the drive. I'll be there june 23-24 with absolute cycle. Should sign up for those dates. My friend that i go with is one of the instructors and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You could ride with him all day... The track in pittsburgh is really nice too. Hope to go there this year... goodluck with everything!

Last edited by WristTwister; 06-02-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in