Tracking the bike before break in - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Tracking the bike before break in

So I've got a track day in 9 days and the bike has ~150 miles on it. How bad of an idea is this?? I'll probably only have time to rack another 100 or so miles on it till then.

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2017 R6 "Dahlia"
Garage
Re: Tracking the bike before break in

I would say it's a bad idea. The oil that it leaves the factory with isn't the same oil that you typically put in like 10W-40. It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil. That's the most important thing, IMO.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:35 AM
covfefe

Bike: '07 R6 Charcoal

Agreed, not a great idea since the engine hasn't quite finished wearing in. Maybe take it on a bit of a road trip this weekend, spend the day out riding, fill up the tank a couple times. But if you're going to track it anyway, best thing you can do is put fresh oil/filter.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Just warm it up properly and ride it. On my 300, I did it's first track day with 5 miles on the odo, and it never saw the street again. If I end up getting a new R6 later this year I will do the same with that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbier6 View Post
I would say it's a bad idea. The oil that it leaves the factory with isn't the same oil that you typically put in like 10W-40. It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil. That's the most important thing, IMO.
Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? The factory oil is most certainly an oil that meets every spec listed as required for the engine. And metal shavings are not going to make their way back to the engine. That's the whole purpose of an oil filter! Do you really think all those bits of metal that may come off in the first few miles are harmless, but suddenly pose a danger once the bike finally hits the first service mileage interval?
High Side, primacarne and Urbane like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

change oil before hand. Its already "broken" in.

On my bikes Ive always make drag strip passes with the factory oil...lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Bike: 2017 R6 "Dahlia"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? The factory oil is most certainly an oil that meets every spec listed as required for the engine. And metal shavings are not going to make their way back to the engine. That's the whole purpose of an oil filter! Do you really think all those bits of metal that may come off in the first few miles are harmless, but suddenly pose a danger once the bike finally hits the first service mileage interval?
I didn't say it didn't meet every spec required for the engine. I'm just saying running in oil is designed as an alternate where other viscosities are recommended, specifically for engines in their break in period. Look, you can break in your engine however you want. I'm just telling him my opinion.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 PM

Bike: R6 - 2008 // FZ09 - 2015

I say go for it. Nothing compares to the track when it comes to the ability to vary the RPMs. One thing I would probably stay away from is hitting the rev limiter or sitting in the red-line zone for too long. Yes, I know on track we typically sit in the upper range of RPMs, but you don't have to. Follow Turbo's advice, change out the oil before hitting the track, although I would suggest after as well.

Like Black Dahlia Murder said...opinions vary.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't meet every spec required for the engine. I'm just saying running in oil is designed as an alternate where other viscosities are recommended, specifically for engines in their break in period. Look, you can break in your engine however you want. I'm just telling him my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Just warm it up properly and ride it. On my 300, I did it's first track day with 5 miles on the odo, and it never saw the street again. If I end up getting a new R6 later this year I will do the same with that bike.

No offense, but don't share advice on topics you don't understand fully. It makes you look silly in front of those that do. Oil is oil. That "break in oil" would be used at the factory and swapped out for factory oil before putting it in the bike. It's an early swap at 500 miles because it's when engines wear the most.

He's a street rider, just repeating what he saw on some youtube video. There are rich guys at the track that change out their Motul 300V EVERY WEEKEND
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It takes engine analysis to really know, but I ride the FVK out of my bikes and have never had problems, change the oil just a little bit early.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane View Post
He's a street rider, just repeating what he saw on some youtube video. There are rich guys at the track that change out their Motul 300V EVERY WEEKEND
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It takes engine analysis to really know, but I ride the FVK out of my bikes and have never had problems, change the oil just a little bit early.

Rich?? hahahahaha... the guys I know changing their oil barely have enough $$$ to enter races or buy tires. However their bikes are tools used to earn contingency $$$ that helps keep them racing at a competitive level.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil.
More a lubricant? Nice coat of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in