First Track Day Crash. Please critique video! - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6
Re: Track Day First Crash. Please critique video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Looks like a low-side to me... unless I have high vs low backwards. You leaned over so far that you lost traction.
It's definitely not your obvious high side being ejected 6 feet in the air but I definitely didn't low side. I don't know too many low sides where people go over the bars and roll on their head
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WristTwister; 01-07-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Re: First Track Day Crash. Please critique video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
I'm not an expert on the subject however if you can afford it take a race school sometime. there are many out there. you can get one on one time with an instructor.
you're pretty fast to be honest. if you have stock suspension (I can see the stock fork caps) you may be out riding it.
I've thought about going to those schools but i can't see it being worth the money... i'd rather do 5 track days for the same money. The forks were rebuilt with GP suspension internals and are set up quite nice
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
I've thought about going to those schools but i can't see it being worth the money... i'd rather do 5 track days for the same money. The forks were rebuilt with GP suspension internals and are set up quite nice
normally he posts silly stuff... but in this instance he is correct.

Just looking at your avatar... your foot position is wrong which goes along with @
said about moving around on the bike. Looks like youre riding with "duck feet". Body position is a by product of speed. First thing would be to square your body up by keeping your chest open.

Also you kept looking behind you on hot pit for whatever reason. You should be looking ahead and focusing on the blend line. Which brings me to the next thing... you slowed your pace sometimes and then ran folks wide other times. A fast rider can pass ANYWHERE on the track.
No hesitation.

Ill refrain from commenting on the track org youre riding with. Advanced is an overstatement
They pretty much let ANYONE in even if you dont know what an apex is or how to trail brake.
Seen it with my own eyes, unfortunately.

As someone that wasted money on "so called" race schools... there are a couple worth the loot. First one is YCRS.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
normally he posts silly stuff... but in this instance he is correct.

Just looking at your avatar... your foot position is wrong which goes along with @
said about moving around on the bike. Looks like youre riding with "duck feet". Body position is a by product of speed. First thing would be to square your body up by keeping your chest open.

Also you kept looking behind you on hot pit for whatever reason. You should be looking ahead and focusing on the blend line. Which brings me to the next thing... you slowed your pace sometimes and then ran folks wide other times. A fast rider can pass ANYWHERE on the track.
No hesitation.

Ill refrain from commenting on the track org youre riding with. Advanced is an overstatement
They pretty much let ANYONE in even if you dont know what an apex is or how to trail brake.
Seen it with my own eyes, unfortunately.

As someone that wasted money on "so called" race schools... there are a couple worth the loot. First one is YCRS.
Totally agree with the feet. The picture in my avatar is NJMP lightning from 2017. I was working on my foot position a lot that year. Was trying the have the outside foot peg in the arch of my boot because that gave me a good fit with my leg into the tank. My left foot is always the tricky one to stay on more of the ball of my foot because of shifting. I usually drag my left toe
. I really had to think about this going into every corner. I now seem to have my foot position under control. Chest open, push elbow and shoulder through corner.... Check

About looking back in hot pit... I don't want to blend with 5 riders going at speed so if I see a group of riders coming down the front straight I will hang back a little and let them go by... I do not consider myself a fast rider. I still need to work on a lot of things. This is why i'll slow down if i approach a rider that is slower but I cannot safely make a pass. I do not want to startle anyone. I don't agree with you where i ran anyone wide or made any aggressive passes. The one person that i shouldn't have passed and i did was the guy in white in the same section i crashed. I shot up the inside of him and looks like he stood the bike up a little. Should never make that pass in a track day. But it is the advanced group and they shouldn't be getting startled at this level but like you said anyone can ride in the advanced group with ACE which i also think is bullshit. I ride in this group because the intermediate group is unsafely slow for me and the closing speeds are just ridiculous. We ran with the black group once and that was awesome because i was able to ride my own line at my speed and the racers just went around me at their leisure. And yes they can pass me ANYWHERE they want to. Awesome to see how much deeper i could actually go into a corner...

Checked out the YCRS school and $2200 is just too much for 2 days right now... Ill consider doing the 1 day for $600 when they go to NJMP. If i had the money for sure I would love to go to these schools and become the best rider i can be. I'll talk to some of the coaches come april and see if i can get some 1on1...

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by WristTwister; 01-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
It's definitely not your obvious high side being ejected 6 feet in the air but I definitely didn't low side. I don't know too many low sides where people go over the bars and roll on their head
Ok, so I watched the video several times and while you do go over the bars and roll on your head, it appears to be a low side. If it was a true high side then the bike would have flicked you off and IT would have landed on its left side, but as you see in the video, the bike leans right and then crashes on that same right side. Thats a tricky turn because you approach it already with some lean angle and have to lean the bike over further. Looks to me like you were adding lean angle AND throttle at the same time and simply ran out of traction.

I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and strongly believe that the investment into a reputable riding school will absolutely make you a better, safer and faster rider. Not only that, but it will help give you the tools to help prevent crashes and injuries that end up costing you lots of $$. I took CSS as a student before becoming a riding coach and my race times improved considerably.

At the super bike school one of the most common causes of crashing is the combination of adding lean angle and gas at the same time. When should you be rolling on the gas? What do you need to make sure is completed BEFORE beginning to roll back on the gas?

Glad you are on the mend and you weren't injured any more. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the California Superbike School
We coach at that track so I know it reasonably well!
yamahacrazy likes this.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Was that DJ at 2:12 in the red track suit? That looks like him.

On another note, I'm following to see what those with more experience say.
misti likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...

Last edited by Straight Success; 01-08-2019 at 06:12 PM.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: R6 - 2008 // FZ09 - 2015

Throttle control. It appears you might have been a tad frustrated with traffic. When you came around that last turn it appears you gave too much throttle, based on lean angle, to try and get a jump around the person in front of you. You lost the rear as a result.

I've seen funky body positions and I don't believe this was a result of that.

Edit: Just read Misti's response. I think it's spot on. Also, I hope you heal well.
misti likes this.

Last edited by Spydrmon; 01-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:24 PM
I eat my R6

You have to get the body out more. Every single digit lean angle matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	up.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	359816  
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
You have to get the body out more. Every single digit lean angle matters.
Says the person with no track experience and posts a picture of Rossi...
TurboBlew and Flyers28 like this.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Says the person with no track experience and posts a picture of Rossi...
I do this on the highway and the streets and I'm still here. If I don't do this the bikes leans more which is unsafe. The more upright the safer.

Last edited by AntDX316; 02-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in