First Track Day Crash. Please critique video! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6
Track Day First Crash. Please critique video!

This is my first crash and of course it had to be a high side lol. Track is NJMP Thunderbolt. Please feel free to critique anything about my body position, line, braking or anything that you see that I could improve on. I know I can carry a little more speed into turn 5(left hander) and brake later there also. I can brake later and harder going into turn 1. Need to keep my upper body down more against the tank and drop that inside elbow and shoulder. I feel like i'm strong through 2, 3a, 3b, 3c and 4. This is an advanced group but these other guys are going pretty slow and they throw me off my line. I do not race and by no means consider myself fast. Just always working to improve anything about my riding. I passed a guy in white the lap before in the same spot where I crashed and tried to pass this guy the same way but just cracked the throttle a little too much at full lean. Lost the rear and when it regained traction it kicked me up off the bike and at that point the front washed out and I went over. After I got off the track I realized that there is really no need to be passing anyone on that part of the track during a track day event. Just stupid on my part. Broke my left wrist and the bike barrel rolled a couple times once it hit the grass.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WristTwister; 01-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Bike: '14 R6
Re: First Track Day Crash. Please critique video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
Broke my left wrist and the bike barrel rolled a couple times once it hit the grass.
How's he bike?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Okay, how's the wrist?

Quote:
Please feel free to critique anything about my body position, line, braking or anything that you see that I could improve on.
You asked... Others will chime in but just some observations...

"Need to keep my upper body down more against the tank and drop that inside elbow and shoulder."
Rather than "drop" the inside elbow and shoulder, push them into the turn.

"This is an advanced group but these other guys are going pretty slow and they throw me off my line."
Slow down a touch, keep comparing their line to yours, see what you can learn and pick the best places to pass, based on what you see.

"Just always working to improve anything about my riding."
Perfect.

"After I got off the track I realized that there is really no need to be passing anyone on that part of the track during a track day event. Just stupid on my part."
Good observation, good attitude.

You block the view of your hands and upcoming turns with that camera angle but, rather than bounce across the seat from one side to the other, try to pivot around the tank and slide more. It will upset the suspension less.

Also, you get your butt off the seat plenty but try to lead with your face first and the bike will follow.

Have fun.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

I'm not an expert on the subject however if you can afford it take a race school sometime. there are many out there. you can get one on one time with an instructor.
you're pretty fast to be honest. if you have stock suspension (I can see the stock fork caps) you may be out riding it.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 01-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Track Day First Crash. Please critique video!

Quote:
This is my first crash and of course it had to be a high side lol. .......... .......... ............. ......... ............... ........... .................. .................. ....................................... passed a guy in white the lap before in the same spot where I crashed and tried to pass this guy the same way but just cracked the throttle a little too much at full lean. Lost the rear and when it regained traction it kicked me up off the bike and at that point the front washed out and I went over. After I got off the track I realized that there is really no need to be passing anyone on that part of the track during a track day event. Just stupid on my part. Broke my left wrist and the bike barrel rolled a couple times once it hit the grass.
Looks like a low-side to me... unless I have high vs low backwards. You leaned over so far that you lost traction.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Looks like a low-side to me... unless I have high vs low backwards. You leaned over so far that you lost traction.
kind of - it was like a low highside.
watch again, youll see where the bike starts to slide, then grips and kind of flicks him off - high-side but it happened quite low.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:26 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertim20 View Post
kind of - it was like a low highside.
watch again, youll see where the bike starts to slide, then grips and kind of flicks him off - high-side but it happened quite low.
That's what he said; and by popularly accepted definition it appears the poster is correct.

It's not like he took the corner too fast at too high of an angle and was *thrown* off. He wasn't flicked-off like a high-side, but bucked off; and bucked off on the right side. The low side bucking was a result of momentary losses in traction. A high side to me is someone getting thrown, versus bucked. But obviously that's *just* me LoL...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 AM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
That's what he said; and by popularly accepted definition it appears the poster is correct.

It's not like he took the corner too fast at too high of an angle and was *thrown* off. He wasn't flicked-off like a high-side, but bucked off; and bucked off on the right side. The low side bucking was a result of momentary losses in traction. A high side to me is someone getting thrown, versus bucked. But obviously that's *just* me LoL...
a lowside is you simply fall off the side of the bike because it falls out from under you. a highside it exactly what happened in the video albeit, it was a little one.

here are some examples of a lowside. and perfect examples why you should wear proper riding gear, neither of these 2 were going fast at all. probably the speed limit.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 01-06-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 AM
I eat my R6

Garage

here are some highsides

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
a lowside is you simply fall off the side of the bike because it falls out from under you. a highside it exactly what happened in the video albeit, it was a little one.

here are some examples of a lowside. and perfect examples why you should wear proper riding gear, neither of these 2 were going fast at all. probably the speed limit.

~30 second mark crash, looks like he just literally ran into the ground on a high banked turn. No loss of traction at all. Typically you hear about "over steer" in cars LoL Not sure how he managed that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
here are some highsides

From ride'n the horse to full buck'n bronco in <1 second!
Some time on a mechanical bull might beneficial...

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonez View Post
How's he bike?
Okay, how's the wrist?

You asked... Others will chime in but just some observations...

"Need to keep my upper body down more against the tank and drop that inside elbow and shoulder."
Rather than "drop" the inside elbow and shoulder, push them into the turn.

"This is an advanced group but these other guys are going pretty slow and they throw me off my line."
Slow down a touch, keep comparing their line to yours, see what you can learn and pick the best places to pass, based on what you see.

"Just always working to improve anything about my riding."
Perfect.

"After I got off the track I realized that there is really no need to be passing anyone on that part of the track during a track day event. Just stupid on my part."
Good observation, good attitude.

You block the view of your hands and upcoming turns with that camera angle but, rather than bounce across the seat from one side to the other, try to pivot around the tank and slide more. It will upset the suspension less.

Also, you get your butt off the seat plenty but try to lead with your face first and the bike will follow.

Have fun.
Bike is torn down pretty much to bare frame and parts waiting to be put on. Wrist is back to 100% and ready to ride come spring... I like how you say "push" elbow and shoulder through the corner that's perfect. Will try to slide from side to side more. Makes perfect sense about upsetting the suspension... Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by WristTwister; 01-07-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in