post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Biggest cause of FEAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R62fst4u View Post
I don't fear.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone fears something. Whether it's God, crashing, running out of beer while at a big championship party, those greedy mf'ers eating all of the BBQ before you arrive, the wife popping up pregnant while on birth control, both side chicks popping up pregnant while cheating on the wife (I don't cheat - I'm not married either, but you get the point), losing power when you've been in power for so long, going completely broke, losing all of your real estate, taxes going up, Florida getting hit with state income tax, your retirement money disappears the day before you retire, your d**k falling off/being amputated after a crash, hitting your pinky toe on the metal leg attached to the thing...

There's always a fear somewhere...

#extremeexaggeration

Slightly drifted OT. My bad. Back onto fear of crashing while riding.
Marvin Tackie likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 02-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:08 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone fears something. Whether it's God, crashing, running out of beer while at a big championship party, those greedy mf'ers eating all of the BBQ before you arrive, the wife popping up pregnant while on birth control, both side chicks popping up pregnant while cheating on the wife (I don't cheat - I'm not married either, but you get the point), losing power when you've been in power for so long, going completely broke, losing all of your real estate, taxes going up, Florida getting hit with state income tax, your retirement money disappears the day before you retire, you d**k falling off/being amputated after a crash, hitting your pinky toe on the metal leg attached to the thing...

There's always a fear somewhere...

#extremeexaggeration

Slightly drifted OT. My bad. Back onto fear of crashing while riding.
Doesn't apply to me. I got a sticker on my bike that says "No fear". I ride like I stole it. It's more like the track fears me.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
The biggest cause of fear? Lack of knowledge and experience.
Like getting into a corner too fast and knowing not to fixate on the edge of the road, and to look way ahead without even thinking about it. Like knowing that you can trust your tires beyond your comfort zone. If it scares you to brake hard, lean over, run through some gravel, ride in the rain, or other things that happen on almost every ride, it is not the the things causing fear. It is lack of knowledge and experience.

When is the last time you practiced a panic stop? If the answer is not almost every ride, then you are guilty.
Love this. So if lack of knowledge and experience is the biggest cause of fear then presumably having knowledge and experience in riding reduces the fear exponentially. Would you say that is true? The more you know and understand about riding, the less fear you have?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
Love this. So if lack of knowledge and experience is the biggest cause of fear then presumably having knowledge and experience in riding reduces the fear exponentially. Would you say that is true? The more you know and understand about riding, the less fear you have?
This is 100% true at least in my case. Simple example... Turn one at Tally. It can be taken much faster than you think. On your first track day, you will be going in well under 60mph. You'll have fear. You can't really see through the turn, pit-out is on your left, it is banked, and the runoff area is downhill in the grass since it is banked. The cool thing is, the next lap, and the one after that, and the one after that is exactly the same. As you get experience (more laps) you get more knowledge. You learn that the track doesn't move. It stays in exactly the same place it was on your last lap. So you go a bit faster. Hey, this is fun. So you go a bit faster. Next think you know, you are going in over 80mph with zero fear. So you keep pushing. Now you are going in in the mid 80's and get the ooohhhhh shittttt moment, but you know exactly what you need to do to get through. Those moments start to become fun.

This is just one turn on one track, but the idea is the same, track or street. You have to get comfortable with different situations. You will still have occasional fear, but you will have the experience to know how to deal with it.
misti and Marvin Tackie like this.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Touchdown!

In short, ignorance - basically the unknown or not knowing.

For most people, if you are unable to see the outcome, and you don't know what's going to happen with certainty, fear sets in. People fear what they don't know or understand.

If one has never fallen before, they do not know how it feels when he/she hits the asphault. Not knowing that - fear sets in. I was once scared to fall at the track, but not to the point where I wouldn't ride hard. I fell once at 64mph on the track. After that, I wasn't as scared of falling because I gained experience of what to expect. Then I fell again at 80+. Do I want to fall again? Hell no. Am I scared? No. I just gained more respect between myself, the track, and Jasmine.

Last edited by Straight Success; 02-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
If one has never fallen before, they do not know how it feels when he/she hits the asphault. Not knowing that - fear sets in. I was once scared to fall at the track, but not to the point where I wouldn't ride hard. I fell once at 64mph on the track. After that, I wasn't as scared of falling because I gained experience of what to expect. Then I fell again at 80+. Do I want to fall again? Hell no. Am I sacred? No. I just gained more respect between myself, the track, and Jasmine.

it really isnt even about "falling" per se. There is an emotional component of crashing which many cannot shake. Like when you get the "had to layer down" story from some random ex rider. Oh maaan I was soooo fast... had to layer down. Like the loud pipes save lives shirts. What happens to lives when you actually learn to ride a motorcycle?

Took a friend to Herrins to ride mini bikes. It was abundantly clear he had NO concept of carrying momentum or corner speed. About 10 laps into the day he low sides at 20 mph and puts a 1" tear in his "new" from ebay leathers. I mean he was really irate he scuffed and tore his suit. He was ranting about "the god damned bike this" or "the bike is too slow" or "the drum brakes suck"... I wasnt about to waste my day so I went to turn some laps. Then Herrin and some fast locals came out next thing you know theres 12 people turning laps having fun and there is my friend all mopey sitting on the bed of my truck. I stop by and ask him if he is going to ride? He reluctantly suits up and then tries to keep pace with the group... which he was clearly out of his element as he is looking over his shoulder and not focusing on basic riding fundamentals. When we lapped him a 2nd time and he had enough. Swears something is wrong with the bike...blah blah blah. I ride the bike and nothing was wrong with it.
3.5 hour ride home and he is pretty quiet except about his suit being damaged...lol. Next time I rode with him was at Jennings. He got all miffed when I asked why he signed up for the expert group?? Still doesnt get it to this day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10296019_10152888244486164_1844306696129514279_o.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	359688  
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
In short, ignorance - basically the unknown or not knowing.

For most people, if you are unable to see the outcome, and you don't know what's going to happen with certainty, fear sets in. People fear what they don't know or understand.
Exactly. So if the unknown or not knowing is scary, and people fear what they don't understand then it seems like the solution to getting rid of (or reducing fear) is to learn, know and understand more. This is huge. So to ride with less fear we must understand more. How do you do that? What would you say are the best methods for learning and understanding more about riding and how do you then put that into practice?

post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Touchdown!

Quote:
Exactly. So if the unknown or not knowing is scary, and people fear what they don't understand then it seems like the solution to getting rid of (or reducing fear) is to learn, know and understand more. This is huge. So to ride with less fear we must understand more. How do you do that? What would you say are the best methods for learning and understanding more about riding and how do you then put that into practice?
As a coach, you already have/know the answers.

In short, pay attention, study, ask pertinent questions, implement, adjust as needed from self-awarenss or external feedback, practice, and practice, and practice, and... more practice.

That'll be $249,999.49. Thanks for your business.
misti likes this.

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Simple. Read everything out there written by Nick Isenatch and Keith Code. Go to as many track days as possible. Talk to and work with a trackday coach. (They love it when you do that). Make sure your suspension is setup for YOU. There is someone at every trackday that will help you with this. Have good tires with the right pressure. There is someone at every trackday that will help you with this too. This really is all you need to do besides keeping an open mind and leaving your ego at home.
Straight Success likes this.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Simple. Read everything out there written by Nick Isenatch and Keith Code. Go to as many track days as possible. Talk to and work with a trackday coach. (They love it when you do that). Make sure your suspension is setup for YOU. There is someone at every trackday that will help you with this. Have good tires with the right pressure. There is someone at every trackday that will help you with this too. This really is all you need to do besides keeping an open mind and leaving your ego at home.
Love it. Open mind and leaving the ego at home...very cool. Just have to figure out how to get more people to do that

Would you say there is one scenario/situation when riding that creates more fear than others? Is there one skill or technique that is more important in dealing with fear when it arises?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in