Biggest cause of FEAR? - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Biggest cause of FEAR?

Experience, either direct or vicarious, can be the cause of fear as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Experience, either direct or vicarious, can be the cause of fear as well.
Meaning that sometimes having knowledge about something or experience with something can actually cause more fear than not? Would a crash be an example of that? If you haven't crashed, maybe you don't fear crashing as much but if you did crash and get really hurt then there may be more fear because of it?

If that's the case, how do we get over (or continue to ride) when we have experienced bad things when riding?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
Meaning that sometimes having knowledge about something or experience with something can actually cause more fear than not? Would a crash be an example of that? If you haven't crashed, maybe you don't fear crashing as much but if you did crash and get really hurt then there may be more fear because of it?

If that's the case, how do we get over (or continue to ride) when we have experienced bad things when riding?
I actually have less fear of crashing now that I've had several opportunities to experience it. Common knowledge says if you crash a motorcycle at 100mph you will die. I know people who do it about once a week. I've done it a few times, and didn't die. (I did get really hurt one time) Now my only fear of crashing is what it is going to cost to fix me and my bike, so I can go crash again.

Misti, you can't possibly be as nervous or afraid as you come across. Whether you are or not...either way...PLEASE get yourself to a trackday. Then come back and tell us how much fun you had and how you worried for nothing.

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
I actually have less fear of crashing now that I've had several opportunities to experience it. Common knowledge says if you crash a motorcycle at 100mph you will die. I know people who do it about once a week. I've done it a few times, and didn't die. (I did get really hurt one time) Now my only fear of crashing is what it is going to cost to fix me and my bike, so I can go crash again.

Misti, you can't possibly be as nervous or afraid as you come across. Whether you are or not...either way...PLEASE get yourself to a trackday. Then come back and tell us how much fun you had and how you worried for nothing.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you for your concern
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm actually a coach with the California Superbike School and a Moto journalist (former AMA Pro 600 racer as well). When I'm not riding I like to post questions and initiate conversation on various forums in hopes of helping people to learn something new and pay more attention to their own riding. I definitely have lots of fun at track days and am not nervous myself, I just like to really understand where fear arises and how my students can overcome their own fears, mainly by learning and truly understanding good riding technique. I posted a link (above) to my most recent track day experience, riding Aragon in Spain in October last year. The video is onboard with me, my first day riding the track as part of the Race Academy school with Troy Corser.
Spydrmon likes this.

post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:49 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:

The reason I say this, is the fact that sooo many people in conversations about m'cycles, have shared stories with me about why they quit riding. I'm a little surprised to find that sooo many people who really don't ride, have ridden before. Many quit riding either due to direct or indirect experiences. Some have just come out and stated that it wasn't for them.

What anyone does with such experiences is totally upon the individual. Same people can look at the same story book verses and have completely opposite viewpoints or interpretations. Same people can look at the accomplishments and scandals of two totally different presidents and (profess to) have wildly different outlooks on them.

Also I suspect that regardless of how much they may say otherwise, like a football player coming off a major injury, the first ride after a crash is going to be a bit more reserved. (possible exceptions being these types of conditions - (
But there are folks who are just plain crazy. They'll wreck their bike and try to wreck yours too - if you let'em.

Last edited by Intuit; 02-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 PM
I eat my R6

Biggest cause of fear would be the unexpected loss of "control" and trying to make adjustments does nothing.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Biggest cause of fear would be the unexpected loss of "control" and trying to make adjustments does nothing.
Meaning that even if you are making the correct adjustments, you still can't regain control?

post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Meaning that even if you are making the correct adjustments, you still can't regain control?
Like say you are leaned over and the front starts to wash out because the road section was slippery. It regains after but that moment of losing grip is a heart dropper.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:13 AM
My R6 eats me.

Looking stupid.
Cost of repair.
Getting hurt.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan911 View Post
Looking stupid.
Cost of repair.
Getting hurt.
That can easily be fixed by proper training and maintenance.
misti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in