Biggest cause of FEAR? - Page 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:16 AM
I eat my R6

Re: Biggest cause of FEAR?

Currently still nursing a broken thumb from a recent accident, so for me, the biggest fear is re-injury or suffering another injury more severe than just a broken thumb. I think it's a good learning/humbling experience for me. Before the accident, I felt like I was confident enough to do anything on the bike. I was commuting to and from work and having the bike was a great way to break up the monotony of the daily commute plus being in CA we can lane split so another added benefit.

Looking forward to riding again, but for sure will take it a bit slower and respect the bike and not be too overconfident in my abilities.
misti and Marvin Tackie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:07 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Briefly, how did this happen? Bad lane change? Obstacle in the road?
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweezy View Post
Currently still nursing a broken thumb from a recent accident, so for me, the biggest fear is re-injury or suffering another injury more severe than just a broken thumb. I think it's a good learning/humbling experience for me. Before the accident, I felt like I was confident enough to do anything on the bike. I was commuting to and from work and having the bike was a great way to break up the monotony of the daily commute plus being in CA we can lane split so another added benefit.

Looking forward to riding again, but for sure will take it a bit slower and respect the bike and not be too overconfident in my abilities.
Some people just don't understand it's more than just years of riding normally. It's understanding the limits and being under it. I've stopped arguing with people because it's a waste of time. It doesn't matter if you have One week of experience. If you can ride better in one moment or many moments than people with 10-50+ years of experience you win. I know it's not that people want to hear but I'm different.

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I think we can all agree you're "different''...
FZ1guy, Flyers28, ddipaola and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jaamz; 03-08-2019 at 01:34 AM.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Some people just don't understand it's more than just years of riding normally. It's understanding the limits and being under it. I've stopped arguing with people because it's a waste of time. It doesn't matter if you have One week of experience. If you can ride better in one moment or many moments than people with 10-50+ years of experience you win. I know it's not that people want to hear but I'm different.
I have no idea what this means.
And I am good with that.
Flyers28 likes this.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Briefly, how did this happen? Bad lane change? Obstacle in the road?
Was in the carpool lane about to pass the car in front of me when the driver decided to flash their turn signal and change lanes immediately after. I braked to avoid getting hit and the next thing I knew I was I tumbling and ended up in the 3rd lane from the carpool lane and my bike skidded and ended up in the second lane a couple of feet ahead of me.

All things considered, I was lucky I didn't get run over from behind and my bike didn't hit another car. Injury wise only sustained a broken thumb as I was wearing full gear so once again another friendly reminder to always wear all your gear. I'd like to consider myself a pretty conservative rider but at the end of the day what freaks me out is all the "distracted" drivers out there. Just takes one bad driver to ruin your day, which sucks for us riders.
Marvin Tackie likes this.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully, when i start riding again the goal is to string together as many ride better moments as possible.
AntDX316 likes this.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweezy View Post
Was in the carpool lane about to pass the car in front of me when the driver decided to flash their turn signal and change lanes immediately after. I braked to avoid getting hit and the next thing I knew I was I tumbling and ended up in the 3rd lane from the carpool lane and my bike skidded and ended up in the second lane a couple of feet ahead of me.

All things considered, I was lucky I didn't get run over from behind and my bike didn't hit another car. Injury wise only sustained a broken thumb as I was wearing full gear so once again another friendly reminder to always wear all your gear. I'd like to consider myself a pretty conservative rider but at the end of the day what freaks me out is all the "distracted" drivers out there. Just takes one bad driver to ruin your day, which sucks for us riders.
Okay so it was a bad lane change. This is among the top factors in most wrecks, even for those on four to eighteen wheels. I'm learning from your shared experience.

As riders we have to ride as though any and every potential wreck is our fault; because regardless of who is at fault, we loose, 100% of the time. (well, 99.9% anyway -
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

One mistake I see that is common among riders, is their lane-shift. Instinctively we want to ride as far away from the car as possible. But when we're lane shifted away from the car, they can't see us. If they can't see us, they can't avoid us. Overwhelming majority of drivers want to avoid wrecks. We're more likely to be seen when riding closer to their mirror. That being said, I also pay special attention to rapid lane changers. When they change lanes, we may not have adequate time to get out of the way. Another tip, I spend nearly all of my riding time in either the far left, or far right lane. That way I only have to worry about being seen by one lane, instead of two. Know where peoples' blind spots are and try to spend as little time as is reasonable traversing them.

Last edited by Intuit; 03-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 AM
I eat my R6

Some people just don't understand it's more than just years of riding normally. It's understanding the limits and being under it. I've stopped arguing with people because it's a waste of time. It doesn't matter if you have One week of experience. If you can ride better in one moment or many moments than people with 10-50+ years of experience you win. I know it's not what people want to hear but I'm different.

I had to correct that to what. My mistake.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post

One mistake I see that is common among riders, is their lane-shift. Instinctively we want to ride as far away from the car as possible. But when we're lane shifted away from the car, they can't see us. If they can't see us, they can't avoid us. Overwhelming majority of drivers want to avoid wrecks. We're more likely to be seen when riding closer to their mirror. That being said, I also pay special attention to rapid lane changers. When they change lanes, we may not have adequate time to get out of the way. Another tip, I spend nearly all of my riding time in either the far left, or far right lane. That way I only have to worry about being seen by one lane, instead of two. Know where peoples' blind spots are and try to spend as little time as is reasonable traversing them.
Yes I'd agree on riding closer to the car to stay outside the blind spot area but I think in this case considering how the car changed lanes so suddenly had I not kept my distance and braked before it happened I would have for sure been hit and don't want to image the damage I would have sustained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in