2012 R6 - First Track Day - Looking For Advice/Tips - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2012 R6
2012 R6 - First Track Day - Looking For Advice/Tips

UPDATE: Post #6.

Looking to do my first track day in a few weeks, and looking for any advice/tips I can get.

Brief history:
- Purchased bike in 2012, and did some minor cosmetic mods (frame sliders, flush mounts, integrated tail, etc).
- Rode the bike until spring of 2015, and parked it with 5.7K miles. It's sat ever since, only having the first 2 oil changes done.
- 4 years later, and I actually own the bike now, but I never street ride anymore and want to do track days only since I can *somewhat* locally now.

Pic of the bike (from 2015):

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The past few weeks I picked up some Pitbull stands, and started going to work.

- Installed Graves Smog Block-off plates, BMC Race Air Filter, Shorai Lithium Battery, Puig Racing windscreen, and Stahlbus oil drain valve
- Replaced spark plugs w/ NGK CR10EK plugs
- Replaced/flushed coolant with water wetter
- Replaced oil and filter w/ Motul 300V 10W40 and K&N filter

Pic I took while working on it:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Was able to actually get it fired up tonight, and seems to be running smooth. No CELs/warnings/etc. Took a quick video of it running:

Now I'm waiting on some Fren Tubo carbon fiber brake lines to come in, and ordering a set of Q3 Plus tires to put on. Will be using Motul RBF 600 DOT4 brake fluid to flush/replace it.

Hoping to remove the keyswitch and replace with the woodcraft eliminator, as well as replace the gas cap to completely get rid of the need for the key, but I'm not rushing to get that done in time.

I was curious, with this thing sitting for so long, is there anything else I should be checking/doing to make sure this goes well?

Last edited by KBkilla; 04-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Touchdown!

Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: 2012 R6 - First Track Day - Looking For Advice/Tips

TurboBlew likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Motosylum Racing #132

Bike: R6, ZX6, R1200, 400 XC-W
The only thing you may want to do first is get rid of the K&N filter. A good number of tracks and track day orgs no longer allow them. They have a tendency to split.
Other than that, ride it.

2017 #1 Middleweight F40, #3 Formula 40, #5 GTU, #10 Middleweight GP
2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#132 Proudly representing DC-Moto.net,
, and

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The only thing you may want to do first is get rid of the K&N filter. A good number of tracks and track day orgs no longer allow them. They have a tendency to split.
^^^This. Don't ruin your day and everyone else's too.

Also, if you haven't ordered the Q3's yet, you will be happier with Q4's on a track-only bike.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

And from a riding/training standpoint, I would suggest working with a track day coach or control rider on some specific riding techniques to ensure that you aren't just circling around with bad habits and making lots of mistakes. Choose one thing at a time to work on each session out so that you have a bit of focus and maybe look into further rider training (I'm a coach with the California Superbike School) so that you can get the fundamentals down pat and practice them each time you hit a track day.

If you have any specific questions about riding skills or techniques for track riding then please feel free to ask! (I love talking about riding stuff

On that note, is there one riding technique for track days that you think trumps all others? Is there one skill that should be practiced and mastered first?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Thanks for the tips fellas.

I checked with them beforehand, and they said they don't have any requirements/regulations for this. They literally said, as long as my tires aren't bald and my chain isn't dragging, all i need is a roll of painters tape.
So, I will probably just replace the filter at the next oil change keeping this in mind.

Also, I didn't go with the Q4's because a lot of the reviews said the Q3's would have better mileage. I didn't think I would need the amount of grip that the Q4's offer since I am a complete noob, and opted for the Q3's because of the mileage.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
^^^This. Don't ruin your day and everyone else's too.

Also, if you haven't ordered the Q3's yet, you will be happier with Q4's on a track-only bike.

Anyways, my first day was *somewhat* of a success. I say this because I made it halfway through, and started having issues with the bike and had to retire, but I still learned how the whole thing operates, rode my first road course and I didn't crash.

First the good... Here are what my brand new tires looked like after only half of the day. Still some little chicken strips, but I plan on getting rid of those next time when i make it through a full day, and hopefully get my first knee down.

Now the bad... After the first couple sessions, I noticed that my speed in the straights was going down. Then I noticed, no matter what gear, I couldn't rev past 14K, then 12k, then 10K. It just got progressively worse. So, instead of continuing to be a sitting duck in the straights, and potentially causing further damage, I just parked it.

Well, I found out tonight the source of my issues, and have some work cut out for me. Not entirely sure what to do yet, but I am learning as I go. Although, I would greatly appreciate any input from someone that has had this issue before, or what someone would do if they were in this situation.

Last edited by KBkilla; 04-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Damn dude. That sucks!! Was the fuel tank empty while it was sitting??
If that were my tank, I would use it for target practice while surfing the eBay for another one. I have tried using the sealers and scalers but they are only a temporary solution.

2016 Middleweight F40 Track Champion, #3 Formula 40, #3 Middleweight F40, #8 Middleweight GP
2016 Sportsmanship Award, 2015 Crash & Burn Award, 2014 Sportsmanship Award, 2013 Amateur of the Year

, and

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Damn dude. That sucks!! Was the fuel tank empty while it was sitting??
If that were my tank, I would use it for target practice while surfing the eBay for another one. I have tried using the sealers and scalers but they are only a temporary solution.
It had like a gallon sitting in it that I siphoned out before refilling. I didn't think about this happening, as I'm learning as I go and all this is completely new to me
lol

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to attempt cleaning/sealing this one since the stuff for it isn't expensive. Just seems to be annoying work. Then I'll keep looking for a another one as a backup/replacement. Already pickup up another used fuel pump online.

Only other thing I'm worried/not sure about is how much of this stuff made it past the fuel pump/filter.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Touchdown!

Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

I would pull the valve cover, drain the oil, and inspect things that way first. The oil and the visual under the valve cover will give you an idea. I would also removed all of the fuel injectors and inspect them.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Motosylum Racing #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBkilla View Post
It had like a gallon sitting in it that I siphoned out before refilling. I didn't think about this happening, as I'm learning as I go and all this is completely new to me
lol

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to attempt cleaning/sealing this one since the stuff for it isn't expensive. Just seems to be annoying work. Then I'll keep looking for a another one as a backup/replacement. Already pickup up another used fuel pump online.

Only other thing I'm worried/not sure about is how much of this stuff made it past the fuel pump/filter.
Yeah, it is a live n learn thing man. I either store a tank filled to the brim or for serious long term storage I will empty it and dump a bottle of 2 cycle oil in it and coat the entire inside with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I would pull the valve cover, drain the oil, and inspect things that way first. The oil and the visual under the valve cover will give you an idea. I would also removed all of the fuel injectors and inspect them.
Curious why pull the valve cover or drain oil? Any contamination will be on the fuel side. The injectors won't show anything to the naked eye and I doubt anything of note made it past the filter sock. Anything that made it past that should pass the injector orifice. As long as the sock is not damaged. I have had worse tanks that did not hurt the injectors.

, and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in