Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
No one said anything about tens of thousands of dollars. One day with CSS can give you a great base of good solid information and a handle on some amazing riding skills that can then be practiced over and over again during regular track days. I don't see the point in spending money doing 10 or 20 or 30 track days if you have no solid understanding of basic riding techniques. When I took the California Superbike School as a student I had already been racing for 2 years but had zero formal training. It took an awful lot of time to get rid of some bad habits I had developed (improper body position) for one....It would have been better and faster for my own improvement if I had gone to the school BEFORE I started racing and doing track days as I could have spent my time practicing with good technique instead of with improper technique. That's all. We get lots of students that have been riding for a long long time with poor technique and when we correct it they are amazed and wish they took the school a lot sooner in their riding career.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All due respect here... you begging for people to sign up for CSS is kind of used car sales sleazy. You always steer the convo to that... great, its what youre paid to do. I can respect a hustle. I too jumped into racing with the belief I could just follow people and learn as I was repeatedly told. You know what else I heard? About the copious amounts of regret people had taking however many levels needed to progress in CSS... when they could have bought a whole lotta seat time on a mini plus the bike and had money left over.

FYI... I took CSS back in 1988 @ Watkins Glen. It was an $800 weekend for me on the schools ninja 600 and rented gear. I wasnt really much of a closed course guy back then. It was kind of militant and preachy for me. Not the ideal environment for me. Did I get my moneys worth? Um I guess...I rode watkins glen and I have a picture some where of it...lol
High Side likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
All due respect here... you begging for people to sign up for CSS is kind of used car sales sleazy. You always steer the convo to that... great, its what youre paid to do. I can respect a hustle. I too jumped into racing with the belief I could just follow people and learn as I was repeatedly told. You know what else I heard? About the copious amounts of regret people had taking however many levels needed to progress in CSS... when they could have bought a whole lotta seat time on a mini plus the bike and had money left over.

FYI... I took CSS back in 1988 @ Watkins Glen. It was an $800 weekend for me on the schools ninja 600 and rented gear. I wasnt really much of a closed course guy back then. It was kind of militant and preachy for me. Not the ideal environment for me. Did I get my moneys worth? Um I guess...I rode watkins glen and I have a picture some where of it...lol

All due respect here... the title of this thread is "Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner?" and that is exactly what I'm doing, recommending something that I'm passionate about, familiar with and a strong believer in. Not sure where you detect I'm "begging people to sign up for CSS" I'm simply sharing my own experiences as both a student and as a riding coach. Honesty, I could care less where people choose to go and get training, as long as they do some research and investigation on where might be the best and most helpful for them to learn from. I'm a huge advocate for rider training and have done schools other than the California Superbike School, most recently the Race Academy with Troy Corser in Spain along with the Texas Tornado bootcamp with Colin Edwards and Rich Oliver's Mystery School. I have nothing to do with student sign ups, so it makes no difference to me whether someone signs up or not, ain't no hustle here, just some good ol conversation.

I'll reiterate my opinion on doing track days before getting any formal schooling and those around can take my advice/suggestions or not, I don't care. But, I was recently doing a track day at Area 27 in B.C. and a novice track rider crashed TWICE in only 4 sessions. When approached by the organizer and asked what happened he just said, "don't know, the bike just went out from under me...it happens." He had NO IDEA why he had crashed (twice) and therefore no way of correcting or improving his riding and preventing it from happening again. Now, I happened to be right behind him when he crashed so I told him what he had done wrong and gave him some information on how he could change his riding so that he would (hopefully) not make the same mistake again. Without that bit of information he would have continued on riding, either that track day or another one, without any clue of what he did wrong and would continue to make the same mistake over and over again.

So, take it for what it's worth, IMHO if you don't get some kind of formal training (from wherever) you won't know whether you are riding with good technique or not.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Since you get "free" track time from CSS... Im curious if you ever paid for or ever took any one elses school? Or do you feel there is no equal to CSS?
High Side likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Since you get "free" track time from CSS... Im curious if you ever paid for or ever took any one elses school? Or do you feel there is no equal to CSS?
I wouldn't call my time with CSS "free track time," as I'm there to do a job that I take very seriously and my focus always is and always will be the success of my students. We don't get free run to do hot laps or ride around working on our own riding, so it's not like a track day or anything, it's my job. I certainly love my job and appreciate the fact that I have the opportunity to ride on incredible tracks and get paid to do it, but first and foremost are always my students.

In the above message I listed off some of the other riding schools I have attended, most recently in Spain last October with Troy Corser at the Race Academy, the Texas Tornado Bootcamp with Colin Edwards, Rich Oliver's Mystery School and I just took an Enduro course with Pacific Riding School here in Vancouver. I'm open to learning from reputable schools and riders that are faster than me for sure. I'm constantly looking to improve my own riding and have taken away a lot of new skills from my experiences at other schools and with other people.

I am obviously biased towards CSS because it is where I have learned the most about riding and because every time I coach, I see students improving while having fun and becoming better, faster, safer riders. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing our students succeed, so ya, I think CSS rocks but it doesn't mean you can't have an incredible time or improve your riding elsewhere. As I also said above, I could really care less WHERE people go to improve their riding as long as they put some attention and thought into become better in order to stay as safe as possible.

In the Roadracing World Track Day Issue (that just came out) is a write up I did on my experience at the Race Academy and with Troy Corser, in case you're interested in reading up on what it was like to ditch the coaching role and become a student once again.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 08:17 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

You're in an area that N2 has a lot of track days at. They have a dedicated "new track rider" intro class that gets great feedback. Worth checking into it. They'll be at NJMP at the beginning of June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 08:25 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Gotta agree. Gets tiring seeing the same song and dance posted, same fishing technique of proposing the probing questions to get discussion going, and of course finishing up with the sales pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in