Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2013 R6
Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner?

Hi, Im planning on doing my very first track day this year and was wondering if someone can recommend a good track and track day organization for a total beginner? I'm in north eastern PA. I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Can you recommend a good track/track day organization for a beginner?

Every person will have a difference experience with track day orgs. Any organziation focused on the safety of the riders first with a good customer experience is a go in my opinion. I would say to try them all in your region, see what type of people are running the show, who shows up, how well they're organized, and who makes you feel the most comfortable for your money's worth.

I've had one that wasn't the best on customer experience - it was borderline horrible, and I received a refund in the end. In short, I never got to ride, and others were bumped so they could ride. I've had pleny that were great, and others which were super-dooper-orgasmically awesome (had to include the corny geek lingo). However, my experiences weren't the same as some who showed up on the same day in the same group.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

I'm in the southeast. I've ridden with every org that holds track days between Texas and N Carolina. I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience with any of them. You will find a lot of the same coaches regardless of which org is sponsoring the event.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2013 R6

Thanks for the reply guys! Any recommendations for a good track for a beginner? I was originally thinking about going up to the New York Safety Track, but was later told it was a pretty technical track. There's also NJMP which is only about 3 hrs away from me, and Pitt Race which is about 5 hrs. There may be others that I'm not aware of. Any suggestions?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgelack View Post
Thanks for the reply guys! Any recommendations for a good track for a beginner? I was originally thinking about going up to the New York Safety Track, but was later told it was a pretty technical track. There's also NJMP which is only about 3 hrs away from me, and Pitt Race which is about 5 hrs. There may be others that I'm not aware of. Any suggestions?
The technicality of the track won't really matter to you as a beginner. You won't be going that fast. The most important thing to do is just get yourself signed up.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Exactly. All you have to do is pay attention to what they say in the coaching sessions between track sessions and you'll be fine. They walk you through everything no matter how technical the track is. It's those who don't listen or pay attention that normally end up on their @ss, crashed, sitting on the side somehwere in the grass.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Hi, Im planning on doing my very first track day this year and was wondering if someone can recommend a good track and track day organization for a total beginner? I'm in north eastern PA. I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me!
California Superbike School. I'm a coach with the school (they are currently teaching at VIR and moving to NJMP and Barber later on in the month). The school runs all students though the fundamentals of cornering and all skills can be used for street or track riding. It's a great way to be introduced to the world of track days because there is a HUGE focus on rider safety (we have a 6-8 ft passing rule) and keep careful eye on all students to ensure they are following good track protocol and doing the drills. It's a safe space to learn the proper skills FIRST before you develop bad habits and then when you head to a track day you have some specific things that you can then practice and focus on.

I've been coaching with CSS for 15 years no
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so if you have ANY questions at all about the format or any of the skills taught please let me know! I also wrote an article on my blog about choosing a track day vs a riding school and that may give you a bit more information. You can read it here: http
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good luck!

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM
My R6 eats me.

Find one that has a dedicated new rider class. Not all of them do. Some even split the normal 3 level track days to 4 levels with the 4th level being dedicated to totally new riders. The local one that does this around here only does it on Fridays. Check your local ones.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
I think N2 has a structured track day format. Personally Id suggest signing up for the earliest, closest one to you and get your feet wet.
See how you like it and figure out how you want to proceed.

The whole theory about "bad" habits and specific structure that requires you to spend 10s of thousands to learn fundamentals that should be taught the first day before lunch... eh. Also keep in mind that everyone progresses at a different pace... might take 10 track days... maybe 30 or 50...

Single biggest ride improvement tool I ever bought was a CRF100 or TTR125. All the skills transfer right over to the big bike(s).
Also the 2nd biggest thing was getting my fitness up to improve riding skill. Makes a HUGE difference in safety.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post

The whole theory about "bad" habits and specific structure that requires you to spend 10s of thousands to learn fundamentals that should be taught the first day before lunch... eh. Also keep in mind that everyone progresses at a different pace... might take 10 track days... maybe 30 or 50...

Single biggest ride improvement tool I ever bought was a CRF100 or TTR125. All the skills transfer right over to the big bike(s).
Also the 2nd biggest thing was getting my fitness up to improve riding skill. Makes a HUGE difference in safety.
No one said anything about tens of thousands of dollars. One day with CSS can give you a great base of good solid information and a handle on some amazing riding skills that can then be practiced over and over again during regular track days. I don't see the point in spending money doing 10 or 20 or 30 track days if you have no solid understanding of basic riding techniques. When I took the California Superbike School as a student I had already been racing for 2 years but had zero formal training. It took an awful lot of time to get rid of some bad habits I had developed (improper body position) for one....It would have been better and faster for my own improvement if I had gone to the school BEFORE I started racing and doing track days as I could have spent my time practicing with good technique instead of with improper technique. That's all. We get lots of students that have been riding for a long long time with poor technique and when we correct it they are amazed and wish they took the school a lot sooner in their riding career.

"Leap and the net will appear!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in