Bad idea to run Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the track? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Bad idea to run Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Taylor Knapp just won some races on a street tire...lol

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a few years back I think it was kevin schwantz that ran only a few seconds off race pace on a set of michelin pilot power 2ct.

and then a year or two ago at the launch of the bridgestone S21R someone was dragging elbows with them. point is, todays street tires are very good.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 07-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 PM
My R6 eats me.

Pilot road 2's would be fine up until advanced level really.. I've seen people on there with touring tires lol.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 PM
R6 gets the babes?

Bike: Yamaha 2018 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
The tires are not the weak point here. The rider is likely to crash the bike from input error before the tires ever cause the crash. The OP is better off concentrating his time on setting the bike up ergonomically, getting the suspension setup right, and setting the tire pressure correctly long before he should ever be concerned about the tires ability to grip. Those tires are more than capable. Hell, I'm sure you can find videos of top-level track riders putting those tires to the test on a track and making out just fine.

Go enjoy the track. Focus on improving your riding abilities and not focusing on tire ability. Those tires are fine. Let your pace dictate what tires you need in the future.
So glad to see some sensibility here.

This is a true story: I attended the Kevin Schwantz Racing school in Atlanta. Near the end of day 2, Kevin was racing around the track with us, lapping even the fastest in the class. Same bike, same tires, same conditions etc...

With a few exceptions, a riders skill is far more important and valuable to safe racing than the tires or other equipment.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 AM
My R6 eat tires for lunch

Bike: 07r6-06r1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
on the front or rear? Obviously the faster you are the quicker you wear out tires. Not sure what warm up quick means... I wouldnt even know what the operating temp is or pressure is. You bag a 30psi tire down to 20... the wear goes up.
Operating temp is when those rubber balls start showing

tatmanblue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in