Bad idea to run Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the track? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bad idea to run Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the track?

So I just bought a 2009 R6 to start doing track days and the previous owner has some pretty new Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the bike. Would it be a bad idea to take these to the track and run with them? This will be my first track day and I dont expect to be going too fast or pushing it too hard. Or should I just get a set of Q3+'s and call it a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:25 PM
My R6 eat tires for lunch

Bike: Dub-O's 7R6
Re: Bad idea to run Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuo116 View Post
So I just bought a 2009 R6 to start doing track days and the previous owner has some pretty new Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on the bike. Would it be a bad idea to take these to the track and run with them? This will be my first track day and I dont expect to be going too fast or pushing it too hard. Or should I just get a set of Q3+'s and call it a day?

If it still look pretty new, i'd go with it. They aren't bad tires. Like you said, you won't be pushing it too hard anyways. Plus after a few laps, you'll get a pretty good feel of how they will hold up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Probably breaking stuff

Garage

I'd be awfully careful on them on the track. If you can afford it, maybe take them off and sell them on CL and buy some more track oriented tires?

It's always cheaper to have better tires than it is to have to fix the bike if those tires give out.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackb15 View Post
I'd be awfully careful on them on the track. If you can afford it, maybe take them off and sell them on CL and buy some more track oriented tires?
It's always cheaper to have better tires than it is to have to fix the bike if those tires give out.
what specifically do the tires "lack" that they would not be sufficient for the OPs first track day?? What makes you think the Q3 is a better tire?
How are you "bench marking" tire betterness???
Whats more concerning is you want the OP to remove said tires and try to resell them? Kind of a shitty thing to do, no? Tires arent good enough to use at a track day but good enough to resell to some craigslist sucker wanting used tires??
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

The tires are not the weak point here. The rider is likely to crash the bike from input error before the tires ever cause the crash. The OP is better off concentrating his time on setting the bike up ergonomically, getting the suspension setup right, and setting the tire pressure correctly long before he should ever be concerned about the tires ability to grip. Those tires are more than capable. Hell, I'm sure you can find videos of top-level track riders putting those tires to the test on a track and making out just fine.

Go enjoy the track. Focus on improving your riding abilities and not focusing on tire ability. Those tires are fine. Let your pace dictate what tires you need in the future.
tatmanblue likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Probably breaking stuff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
what specifically do the tires "lack" that they would not be sufficient for the OPs first track day?? What makes you think the Q3 is a better tire?
How are you "bench marking" tire betterness???
Whats more concerning is you want the OP to remove said tires and try to resell them? Kind of a shitty thing to do, no? Tires arent good enough to use at a track day but good enough to resell to some craigslist sucker wanting used tires??
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just looked into the Road 2's a bit more. I always thought they were single compound tires, but they are true dual compound. They should be fine.
TurboBlew likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Wear the PR2s out then get the Q3+
They will be just fine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I just looked into the Road 2's a bit more. I always thought they were single compound tires, but they are true dual compound. They should be fine.
Taylor Knapp just won some races on a street tire...lol

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Probably breaking stuff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Taylor Knapp just won some races on a street tire...lol

I have Q4's on my R1, they are extremely good tires and warm up quick. Only downside is they don't last very long at all.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I have Q4's on my R1, they are extremely good tires and warm up quick. Only downside is they don't last very long at all.
on the front or rear? Obviously the faster you are the quicker you wear out tires. Not sure what warm up quick means... I wouldnt even know what the operating temp is or pressure is. You bag a 30psi tire down to 20... the wear goes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in