front brake technique - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Go Heels! #1

Question front brake technique

hey guys, ive got a whopping 560 miles under my belt and i have a fairly easy question. when braking i use even amounts of front and rear brake all the time. when i go to grab my front brake lever i have a tendency to only use my middle finger, i can brake fully with just the middle and it is comfortable to me and easy to control, but is this a bad habbit??? i'd like to be able to break it early if it is before i get set in my ways ya know. thanks in advance!!

07 R6 candy red
05 Cadillac STS
97 SL2(beater)
21 yr old mercedes tech.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM

Re: front brake technique

prolly a good idea to use more than one finger, but whatevers comfy for you. i use four, mostly cause im too lazy to prevent the other two fingers from stayin on the throttle.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I eat my R6

i use the middle and ring finger always on standby at the brake lever... you wouldn't know what pops out of nowhere. saves you a few milliseconds on braking

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 PM

Yeah and have fun with the cramps youll get.

There is no right and wrong on how many fingers to use. 1, 2, 4, its all dependant on your personal preference. But once you get more miles on ya, and start pushing the bike, you'll probably lean towards using more fingers. I use 2 personally, and dont have a problem cranking down on the lever.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 PM

with the pazzo's i just put on, it seems to be more comfy to just use 2, but the other 2 still follow, even though theres nowhere for them to go.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

Agreed with all of the above. No right or wrong. Me personally though, I ride with my index and middle fingers resting (not pulling, just setting) on top of BOTH levers.

This might sound stupid but I have read a couple of books about riding techniques, and most of the books I have read suggest using these two fingers. Reason.... It takes about half of a second for your body to react and move your finger(s) from the throttle to the brake/clutch lever. And at 60 mph that is 88 feet PER SECOND that you are traveling. So, if it takes you .5 seconds just to get your fingers from the throttle to the levers, you have already travled 44 feet!

Using the index and middle finger also helps with blipping the throttle on down shift and if you ride alot of corners it helps with trail braking as well.

One more fact about why I only use two fingers... modern sportbikes brake systems are WAY more powerful than a cruiser or harley's brakes. Over use of them will cause some pain, so why not just use two fingers and not have such a big chance of (literally) grabbing a hand full?

As for your other question... I use my brakes about 70% front 30% rear. The reason for that is because while your bike is slowing down, that is *about* what percentage of traction your tires have to the ground. If you brake more with the rear it could *and i say could because it doesn't happen often* break loose on ya (but it's not likely unless your standing on your rear brake) and because I am more comfortable depending on my front brakes.
Now, don't get me wrong, if I'm just cruising through town, it is not unlikely of me to slowly come to a stop and a redlight with JUST my rear brake. Only if I'm goin pretty slow though.

But yeah about 70front 30rear, not 50 50. You will learn alot more about the performance of your bike as you get more miles. Take your time and learn what your bike can do for you before you really push it....

take care

Hope this helps you out man

later

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?

Last edited by asdfjklm; 06-19-2007 at 08:01 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Go Heels! #1

thanks for all the responses guys, im glad to hear that im not doing anything wrong, just seems to be a matter of personal preference, im gonna try my index and middle, or my index and ring finger next time i ride and see how that feels too. i dont push the bike much yet, my chicken strip is still an inch wide, haha first time ever on two wheels, but hey, ill get used to it

07 R6 candy red
05 Cadillac STS
97 SL2(beater)
21 yr old mercedes tech.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 PM

dont worry about your chicken strips dude, dont mean shit. ride your pace.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Actually you are doing one thing wrong....

You should not be applying equal amounts of travel to the front and rear brake. You should be leaving your rear brake pretty much alone. When people get in the habit of using both brakes for every stop when an emergency stop comes they have a tendency to push down to hard on the rear brake which locks the tire and causes you to lose control of the bike since the rear tire swings out to the side. You should stop using your rear brake for the most part or make sure you use it sparingly. Also when you brake the front brakes (I use two fingers, but whatever is best for you) you should squeeze the brakes kind of gently at first and let the weight of the bike pitch forward before really digging in the front brakes. This will make sure that your front tire does not skid out and you lose the front end. Kind of just brake a bit get the front to dive then apply hard braking. When I first started riding a little while ago I would go onto an abandoned road and practice braking from like 80 MPH to a stop using this technique. Do that over and over and over again and get comfortable doing it. I donít use my rear brake at all so I cant help you there. But just realize that when you brake hard the rear tire is almost off the ground or is off the ground so the rear tire locks up easy under hard braking which is why a lot of people stay away from it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I eat my R6

cramps?... i'm probly just used to resting my middle and ring finger over the brake lever. a tip would be to adjust your brake levers a little bit downwards to avoid cramping your wrist. when i got the bike i had wrist pain, but after adjustin the clutch and brake lever a bit down, all the pain went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in