So who here also pulls while counter steering? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

So who here also pulls while counter steering?

Just wondering, I saw a few posts here and there on people mentioning that they also pull the opposite bar while pushing (counter steering). Pros, Cons? I thought I remember reading you were not suppose to do that.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to newtampa-r6
Re: So who here also pulls while counter steering?

I do, it helps you get the bike leaned quicker because you are using both arms instead of only one. You are told not to do it because sometimes you may confuse yourself and end up pushing on both bars and actually fighting yourself to steer into a turn. Most pro racers use both hands to be efficient in steering the bike.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Cool, anyone else

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I miss Cali rides :/

Bike: Custom 08

i think everyone does it wether they notice or not. you push with one hand, you gotta pull with the other. don't think about it so much, you will confuse yourself. same with the counter steerong topic. i think people nuke it too much. if you ride and concentrate on that stuff, you might blow a corner, miss the scenery, whatever the case is. focus on the ride, if you need practice with turning/countersteering and such hit a lot and figure 8 away. you need your attention for the road, build your muscle memory somewhere safe. just my .02, not starting anything, or hating
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
spz

its automatic, dont even think about that whole COUNTER-STEERING thing...

if you lean, then you have countersteered, its an automatisme you get.. like typing on a keyboard. just feel relaxed and comfy on your bars.. thats all you need
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

The question isn't about counter steering per say, or how to counter steer, but who out there goes the extra step in helping the bike counter steer by pulling.

Because when you counter steer, you dont need both hands to do it....you can test this by taking a turn one handed, so its not automatic that you use both hands. Or that opposite hand would be relaxed on the bar with no pressure in either direction. Just curious who out there actually pulls as their pushing as well.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I miss Cali rides :/

Bike: Custom 08

when i ride highway, i keep throttle hand on and place my left hand on the upper ram cover, kinda gripping. there are a few slight turns here. leaning forward, depending on the way i look the bike goes, feels like its reading my mind but it is muscle memory i suppose. in this fashion if i look left(physically turn head left) i am subconsciously pulling the right bar i guess because the bike veers left without pressure. this is from head movement alone, no lean involved.
in conclusion...lol, i believe everyone does it, with or without thinking. again imo something that you shouldn't really concern yourself with unless you have some turning issues, then off to the practice grounds if thats the case...enjoy the ride, and be safe.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM

I always use the push pull technique when counter steering. Also make sure you forearms are parallel to the ground so you get the most leverage possible. If you do that and use push pull you can really throw the bike around with minimal effort even at great speeds.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM

just pushing with one hand is all the steering effort you need. but i always use the push & pull method when doing some very very fast left-to-right hand side transitions (and i push and pull HARD). idunno i weigh 189 pounds so i can muscle the bike around more with one hand i guess. also it might depend on how high your clip ons are on your forks. i bought some clipons that forced me to put the handles below the top clamp on the forks and steering effort became much more difficult(could also be because of the angle they're at, but who knows). there, thats my two cents.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Now you see me...

Bike: 2007 R6 candy red
Send a message via Skype™ to icepic

i only pull the opposite bar on really hard turns, otherwise i just kinda use both hands relaxed, don't really think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in