Blipin/Slowing Down - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Silver R6
Blipin/Slowing Down

Newbie rider here just lookin for some tips. I never keep track of what gear I'm in and is a problem when making turns as some times I down shift all the way to first and get the jerk. I usually take my turns in 2nd gear.

1. Do you guys downshift gear by gear till you turn? Or ride the clutch and then downshift and then make the turn?

2. How do you blip the gas and then downshift? What I mean is, what is a good technique (b/c i get the concept of what to do...slightly hit gas to match engine speed to avoid jerk)

3. Is it bad for your engine/tranny to downshift without blipin? Obviously the faster you go and then downshift the worse it is, but generally speaking in terms of problems down the road.

Any adivse would be awesome, just want to get into a good habit to avoid and mishaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Re: Blipin/Slowing Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Roll6
Newbie rider here just lookin for some tips. I never keep track of what gear I'm in and is a problem when making turns as some times I down shift all the way to first and get the jerk. I usually take my turns in 2nd gear.

1. Do you guys downshift gear by gear till you turn? Or ride the clutch and then downshift and then make the turn?

2. How do you blip the gas and then downshift? What I mean is, what is a good technique (b/c i get the concept of what to do...slightly hit gas to match engine speed to avoid jerk)

3. Is it bad for your engine/tranny to downshift without blipin? Obviously the faster you go and then downshift the worse it is, but generally speaking in terms of problems down the road.

Any adivse would be awesome, just want to get into a good habit to avoid and mishaps.
I always keep my bike around 10k rpms since thats around where our power band is. So if i have to slow down to make a corner I just downshift to the speed / gear I need to keep the tach on the fun side of 10k. Then again I've been riding for 8 years and Im a trackday whore so it comes 2nd nature to me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 r6
Send a message via MSN to Maplesyrup

as a new rider dont keep it at 10k rpms for your turns...I keep mine at 6-8k and its nice and controllable, im only 6k KM on the first bike. I down shift gear by gear until the turn, don't ride the clutch then drop 3 gears and turn, as a novice rider get to know your gears, if you keep avoiding dropping gears you will never get better at down shifting fast. Give yourself enough time to do that instead of riding the clutch...As far as bliping the throttle if you understand the concept, it will come to you eventualy, I tought i wasnt going to get it but then it just started going in sinc with my shifting. At first it was jerky and i would release the clutch too soon and the bike would jerk bad but then i got a hang of it, it will come to you.
hope it helps at all

Yer typical oilpatch worker...yummm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Pop down the gears as you approach the corner, dont click down several at once. You can use the engine braking that way to help assist slowing down the bike.

The way I taught myself to blip, was if I was slowing down after accelerating, I would keep my throttle hand steady on the handle, and not cut the throttle. So essentially, I would never close the gas until I was done downshifting. It was/is much easier for me than trying to blip because the blip rule doesnt work on the street. If you are going 100% on the track, and keeping it above 10k or whatever, you can learn how to blip the same every time once your RPMs drop to whatever mark you use. But on the street, it doesnt help unless you are going 100% out there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebroni
Pop down the gears as you approach the corner, dont click down several at once. You can use the engine braking that way to help assist slowing down the bike.

The way I taught myself to blip, was if I was slowing down after accelerating, I would keep my throttle hand steady on the handle, and not cut the throttle. So essentially, I would never close the gas until I was done downshifting. It was/is much easier for me than trying to blip because the blip rule doesnt work on the street. If you are going 100% on the track, and keeping it above 10k or whatever, you can learn how to blip the same every time once your RPMs drop to whatever mark you use. But on the street, it doesnt help unless you are going 100% out there.
exactly I left that out of my post, bliping it totally useless and not needed for street riding, just down shift normally. I use lots of engine breaking as well like he mentioned, but you have to get used to the bike and do whatever works best for you and how you ride.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM

I might not be using a proper technique but if I have a long time I'll down shift through the gears and engine break. Otherwise for traffic and stuff, hit the breaks, if I feel like it's gunna lug down shift, or just hold the clutch in and bang down a gear or two and maintenance throttle until I'm coming out of the turn and gas it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:13 PM

As a newbie I'd recommend concentrating more on remembering what gear your in than getting into advance braking/cornering aspects.

I always thought the proper way to do it is to brake, then shift, then corner. For the track at least. But I admit, I also find myself thumping though one gear at a time and using the engine braking in between, keeping the RPMs in the "fun zone".

But I'm also becoming a TD whore myself, and on the streets, I generally do not keep the engine rev-happy, downshift one gear at a time, and worry more about the defensive moves I might have to make rather than trying to enter a corner like Rossi.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 AM

Gear boxes are more expensive than brake pads, your brakes are designed to slow you down not your gears. This is why new bikes like the current R6 have slipper clutches, to reduce engine braking.
Get your braking done and during the final moments of braking shift down however many gears you need to (slip the clutch out a little and blip between gears). If you can manually slip the clutch and match revs do it, if you cant then practice. ("blippin" isn't needed when goin real slow, but slipping the clutch is) IMO.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 AM
Hey you guys, slow down.

Bike: 06 R6 50th AE

Holding the brake in to go through several gears probably wont be nessacery since he will probably do backroads and such. Just try staying in a comfortable rpm range to navigate the turn where you dont have to use the brakes at all before entering.

2010 R6, 2009 Ninja 250, 2008 Ducati 1098
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic1
Just try staying in a comfortable rpm range to navigate the turn where you dont have to use the brakes at all before entering.
Setting cornering speed without the use of brakes, this is an exercise i did when at the California Superbike School in Australia. Laps around Phillip Island GP circuit without brakes and 4th gear only. Good fun.

You need to use the brakes to learn how to use them effectively tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in