Downshifting and Braking - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Downshifting and Braking

With the slipper clutch can you not use the rear brake while shifting down? When Im shifting down and using my rear brake my tire often slides around like crazy. What is the proper way to get around this. Is it all about rev matching and thats the only thing im not doing it enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM

Re: Downshifting and Braking

You can but very lightly.
During heavy braking the rear will only do 2% to 0% of the braking.
To avoid the rear wheel slipping, get most of your braking done before you downshift.
Your downshifts should be done just before your turn point.

my foot will useually will only be resting one the brake, very little pressure if any.

your rear brake should be used at the very begining of your braking and as you progressivly get harder on the front you prgressivly get lighter on the rear. that should help you.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM

+1 with above. You figure that under NORMAL breaking 75% is done by front brake and 25% is done by rear brake. Under HEAVY braking it is even more lopsided. The reason you are skating around on your rear brake is because there is no weight on your rear tire and therefore very easy to lock up. If you are using your rear brake, you should also be using your front brake. If you are just going through traffic try to down shift early and then brake seperately when you get into 1st or 2nd gear (obviously brake hard if you are going to hit something). Just my 2 cents.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Well what about the clutch. I know when I am hard on the brakes and Im on the rear if the revs are perfectly matched I can sometimes here a loud slapping of parts kinda like when your going to fast for first and you drop it in and it clunks into place. The other day I was going way to fast into a turn and was super hard on the rear and front and the rear locked a little and when I let off the clutch it made that sound a few times as it caught up with the motor.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSXR6
With the slipper clutch can you not use the rear brake while shifting down? When Im shifting down and using my rear brake my tire often slides around like crazy. What is the proper way to get around this. Is it all about rev matching and thats the only thing im not doing it enough
Wet-disc (slipper) clutches aleviate the need to "rev match." That is why they are most used in racing - you don't have to rev match. Also, using too much of your rear brake does cause it to lock up more often, and doing so while turning can cause you to lowside. That's because of such a small contact patch. So, you should try to do most of your braking before turning, though, small amounts of the front brake are very effective if used correctly.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Atom Smasher

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dizzle
Wet-disc (slipper) clutches aleviate the need to "rev match."
Yeah, not so much. It makes alot less traumatic when you don't rev match but if you get sloppy with a downshift when you are still high in the revs the rear tire will still squirm around, it's just not nearly as bad.

Because Blue is Faster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 r6
harris racing gel grips, shogun frame sliders bar ends & swingarm spools, braking wave rotors, galfer stainless lines, galfer HH pads, yamaha seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, magknight tankbra, driven sprockets -1+2, DID erv3 520 chain, speedohealer, shorty Pazzo Levers, Sato rearsets, harris technaflow windscreen, Full Micron Serpent, PCIII, Piper cross air filter, Woodcraft case covers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.burton
Yeah, not so much. It makes alot less traumatic when you don't rev match but if you get sloppy with a downshift when you are still high in the revs the rear tire will still squirm around, it's just not nearly as bad.
I wasn't implying that it completely aleviates the need for rev matching. I was referring to downshifting while not in the power band (the lower rpm range). I just forgot to mention that. Thanks for the correction.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

So if your going to trail brake in you should use your front brake you are telling me? I am still a bit confused.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 AM

everyone has there own opinions and ideas on how to ride and if you listen to all of these different opinions and ideas its no wonder you are confused.
oh and im no different, i have my opinions too.

Last edited by lincmb; 07-31-2007 at 04:54 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 AM

IMO, if you have questions about riding technique ask a professional, I have discovered that between many different professionals they all give the same answer to the same question.

People on forums give many differenet answeres to the same question.

Go buy A Twist of the Wrist and A Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code, Very good books. And straight forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in