slipper clutch broken???? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

slipper clutch broken????

so then tonight i was out on the 06 r6 and i came acrss 2 r1's. so hoping they wouldnt mind i tagged along. anyways after a good 40 mins of folling them along some real fast roads local to me ( which i seem to know very well ) i was able to keep up with them. but i underestimated the distance into a roundabout. so i slammed on the brakes . i was going around 130ish in 6th gear. i dropped the gears front 6th to second without slipping the clutch untill i hit 2nd. as i let the clutch out the back tire locked and squirmed around left to right. no did i drop the gears wrong and didnt give the bike a chance to slip. or is the slipper clutch not working properly??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Re: slipper clutch broken????

did the back end skip and jump or just slid? The stock slipper clutch is a little tighter than most on the r-6 and you sill still get some sliding when you downshift into high rpms. I noticed this more on the stock tires since they dont have the grip of the rate tires I now run. I do still notice it on race tires just not as much and I dont mind the back end floating around a bit. The good news is that my rear has never locked or skipped at all, just a slight drifting out.
You can do a search on here for the "slipper mod" for more info on the stock slipper being a bit tight
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Bridgestone my new friend

Bike: 2006 R6,2009 R6

It also depends on the weight bias to the rear. If hard on the brakes the rear will slide even with a slipper because the tire has very little weight on it.

+1 ukbrace said.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock7896
did the back end skip and jump or just slid? The stock slipper clutch is a little tighter than most on the r-6 and you sill still get some sliding when you downshift into high rpms. I noticed this more on the stock tires since they dont have the grip of the rate tires I now run. I do still notice it on race tires just not as much and I dont mind the back end floating around a bit. The good news is that my rear has never locked or skipped at all, just a slight drifting out.
You can do a search on here for the "slipper mod" for more info on the stock slipper being a bit tight
+1 the stock clutch is tight and will make the rear end wiggle some but the clutch is not broken. The slipper clutch works better when running track tires.

Blue because it is faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the responses. i have been out 3 more times since and it happens every time. it feels like it is just floating and squirming. so the weight bias is making more sense to me now. i think with this just being my second year of riding and a vast improvement on last year. i am just noticing it working more. once again thanks for all the repsponses..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Raven R6 O6'

your fault, not the slippers fault. The 06 slipper is nice until downshifting into 1st or 2nd. Just match up your rpms

1st Bike: 2006 R6 Raven: Stolen! Now Recovered and runnning strong!
Mods: Shogun frame/bar sliders, R6 Carbon Fiber Tank/Gas pad, Stomp Pad, DB Clear Puig Windscreen, Pazzo Black Clucth Lever w/black adjuster, BMC Race airfilter, Scotts oil filter, Hyperpro RSC Damper (black), VFX Pivot kit w/Lockhart Phillips signals, Harris R6 Black/Grey Flame Grips, Graves 6mm spools, Greggs mirror covers, Frame plugs, Full Leo Vince exhaust w/carbon can, Brembo 19x18 master cylinder, Galfer SS lines (Front/Rear) w/galfer HH sintered front pads & semi-metalic in rear, Power Commander, Speedohealer, 520 Conversion (-1+2) w/stealth gold/black sprockets & DID ERV3 gold chain, Black Sato Rearsets, Custom Map, Seat Cowl, Passenger peg plugs . Lovin Life!!!
Tires: At the moment Dunlop Sportmax GP's (209's) 180/55 120/70

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM

Bike: 2007 R6

I have a 2007 R6 and I was having problems with this myself. I actually almost lost it once because of it actually. I was running the local spot with a couple of people and I hit the straight away shifted into 2nd and got to the end and down shifted into 1st.. back tire locked up and I went sideways drifting to edge of the road. Luckly I gassed it as soon as my back tire hit the dirt and I drifted the bike back onto the road... very close call... there was a huge hole 2 feet from where my back tire was... but I learned this last weekend from a fellow rider there.. you need to give it gas right before you let out the clutch into first or whatever gear you are down shifting to. Lots of gas.. I hit roughly top out 80 in 1st gear... so I need ALOT of gas to get the rpms up to match the rpms. Then use the brakes to slow you down along with the engine. It takes alot of work to get used to but the end result is a safer ride. Then as you exit the curve you are ready for action! hope this helps!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
R6 = best bike ever

Bike: R6, ZX-10

With the 06 slipper.... You can't outright abuse it, you still have to be tactful... But when going around the race track over and over, muscles and feet get tired and you try to keep the pace up.. Even dumping the clutch and letting the rear end slide will be more forgiving than the previous bike with no slipper... you would likely wind up crashing! I like the limited slip feel of the 06... It helps sometimes IMO.

Now the 07 R1 slipper clutch... what a pile of shit.

Ara Tidwell
Austin, TX
CMRA EX #459
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I eat my R6

130mph in to a turn? 6th gear to 2nd at 130mph? Man, what the hell do you expect out of your bike's slipper clutch? A miracle?

|
|
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytheon
130mph in to a turn? 6th gear to 2nd at 130mph? Man, what the hell do you expect out of your bike's slipper clutch? A miracle?
Agreed. I would not have wanted to be in your shoes when that occured. I cannot imagine doing 130 mph on any local road but that is just me. Maybe more slipper and less clutch next time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in