Wheel hop? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 R6 Limited Edition
Wheel hop?

Ok being a fairly new rider with only a couple months under my belt, i have a question that i am unsure of. When i take some curves at a decent speed, specifically today, and im leaning into them, it feels as if my rear tire is weaving kinda. To give you an idea of the curvature, it is a 45 mph turn and i was going about 70 thru some and almost 80 thru other (very unpopulated back road) My buddy says its wheel hop but i dont know. Is this common? Ive got a 2003 and its lowered about 2 inches and i was in 6th gear if any of that matters. If anyone could just advise me of whats going on. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Hate the 405

Bike: 07 R^6, 05CBR1k Repsol
Re: Wheel hop?

6th gear? thats too high for my liking. is your suspension set up correctly? if not it could feel like your loosing the back wheel.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:10 PM

hows the back tire? is it new or worn out? and yeah i like having my rpm's high when im hittin twisties because well as we all know the r6 is a track bike but yeah how is the tire wear?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
2007 R6

Bike: 2007 Track R6

IMO the wheel "hop" is from being in 6th gear and not having a smooth throttle. You need to gear it down a little and lowering your bike will make if feel heavy like that in a turn. I had mine lowered an 1" and put it back to stock because it road bad.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 R6 Limited Edition

The tire actually has really good tread, i guess i can try a lower gear and see how it responds. I just wasnt sure if it was the lowering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

Yeah sounds like something's missing from this story, BUT if I may suggest, If you're in the turns/twisties, you should be in a MUCH lower gear than 6th.

USUALLY when I'm in the turns and stuff I run 2nd or 3rd gear. Don't be afriad to run those RPM's up, the bike was made to run High revs. Just be careful because in lower gears at higher revs your bike will be much more responsive (than running it in 6th gear at the same speed)

As for the wheel hop, you may have had anything happen from choppy throttle, to running over a rock, hitting a crack in the road, running over tar, even a leaf will make your wheel move some if you're leaned over enough.
Have fun and stay safe out there.

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfjklm
Yeah sounds like something's missing from this story, BUT if I may suggest, If you're in the turns/twisties, you should be in a MUCH lower gear than 6th.

USUALLY when I'm in the turns and stuff I run 2nd or 3rd gear. Don't be afriad to run those RPM's up, the bike was made to run High revs. Just be careful because in lower gears at higher revs your bike will be much more responsive (than running it in 6th gear at the same speed)

As for the wheel hop, you may have had anything happen from choppy throttle, to running over a rock, hitting a crack in the road, running over tar, even a leaf will make your wheel move some if you're leaned over enough.
Have fun and stay safe out there.
And always make sure you've done your braking "before" you start cornering. That helps out a lot.

|
|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

Right-o

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

Get your bike's rpm's up it will feel much more stable when you are down a few gears. Also it sounds like you don't have the suspension set right.

Blue because it is faster.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Ya wheelies is garbage!

Bike: 03 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytheon
And always make sure you've done your braking "before" you start cornering. That helps out a lot.
Ya unless for some reason you just want to straightin the bike come out of the apex and through the ditch.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in