How much 'till wheelie? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats V8s, even mine

Bike: 2004 Yamaha YZF R6
Send a message via AIM to sdm1234
How much 'till wheelie?

I've never done a wheelie, and I never want to. I'm pretty confident that the front will lift if I crank it in 1st gear, but what about shifting into second? Can I fully open the throttle going into 2nd gear without wheelieing or does the R6 still overpower it? I know Liter bikes will do it in a blink, but will an R6? TIA everyone.

On sunny days, what do I pick? My '97 TA WS6, '04 R6, or my '78 TA...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
First Gen FTW

Bike: 05 R6/1100 VSTAR
Re: How much 'till wheelie?

When i drag i pull the wheel up in 2nd about 6-8 inches...it'll set back down...but thats after nearly red lining first...

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

it will if you do things just right. I did it a couple of times shifting into second while getting on it a little harder than usual and running near redline. After I did the 520 -1 +2 thing I had it come up in third once. I think I hit a small bump at the same time I shifted and she came up and settled back down after about a hundred feet. There is nothing to worry about if it does come up on you, just let off the throttle a little and it will come back down.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM

Its really dependant on your own body weight and your body positioning during hard accel. If you are north of 200, you might not be able to get it to come up on 1-2 shift with a stock bike. Sprocketing is a whole different matter. If you also practice proper form and hunker down when you hammer it, it shouldnt do much more than lift slightly and skim the ground. Id imagine if you are a small guy, things might be a little more hard to control. Having some meat on your bones enables you to really power things and literally force the bike down with your body.

Essentially, it wont go any higher on a shift than it would in 1st gear full throttle. Theres no reason to be scared shifting. Just be scared if you see-saw that throttle in first. You really need to learn how to hear and feel the bike as well during low gear accel, because you dont want to take your eyes off the road to look at the tach when the bike is coming up.

Lastly, make sure you are preloading the shifter. A sloppy/fast shift that misshifts can cause you to pop back into 1st, and if you hammer it thinking you are in second, the front end will pop up in a heart beat as you are near redline. Good luck.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Atom Smasher

Bike: 2007 R6

^^^+1. I am around 220 and the front will float about 1/2 an inch at wide open throttle around redline in first, second & third. But that is at a track on track days, I haven't done this on the street. So if you aren't riding around pretending the street is your own personal race track, I wouldn't worry about bringing the front up.

Because Blue is Faster

2007 r6
harris racing gel grips, shogun frame sliders bar ends & swingarm spools, braking wave rotors, galfer stainless lines, galfer HH pads, yamaha seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, magknight tankbra, driven sprockets -1+2, DID erv3 520 chain, speedohealer, shorty Pazzo Levers, Sato rearsets, harris technaflow windscreen, Full Micron Serpent, PCIII, Piper cross air filter, Woodcraft case covers
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats V8s, even mine

Bike: 2004 Yamaha YZF R6
Send a message via AIM to sdm1234

ok thanks a lot everyone! i appreciate the replys! yea i'm 180 lbs and didn't really get the bike to race (mainly for looks. that's why i didn't get an R1). however, my father just got a '06 Warrior and is modifying it. when we ride together, he likes to use all his torque to his advantage and try to lose me on the straights haha. so, i was just just wondering if i will or will not wheelie going into second to keep up with him. the last thing i want to do is endanger my life and those around me. i swear, that Warrior is like a kick in the kidneys every time a cylinder fires at WOT lol. it's so quick. thanks again everyone!

On sunny days, what do I pick? My '97 TA WS6, '04 R6, or my '78 TA...

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
It's a lifestyle

Bike: 2004 R1

I'm just over 135, if I roll the throttle in first I might only get a few inches (the floating front end feel) and if I snap 2nd the front comes up a few good inches. After its happened a few times you get the feel for it and not only are you expecting it but you understand what you need to do while its happening.

Be safe!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 PM
I eat my R6

I wish i could try doing what you guys do as well. But i'm too scared for cops to see me overaccelerating and lifting up the front wheel. cops can give you tickets for popping wheelies right?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Ya wheelies is garbage!

Bike: 03 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_o
I wish i could try doing what you guys do as well. But i'm too scared for cops to see me overaccelerating and lifting up the front wheel. cops can give you tickets for popping wheelies right?
More like they can take you to jail!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 AM
It's a lifestyle

Bike: 2004 R1

yep. it is reckless driving (riding).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in