Clutchless shifting - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Ya wheelies is garbage!

Bike: 03 R6
Clutchless shifting

Alright i've read an assload of old threads on this, but i want opinions of only those who own a 03+ R6, it seems that they threads all get this yes it's ok and no it will mess things up response. But it seems all the No it will mess things up responses come from the owners of the 99-02 models which are known for 2nd gear problems. I just want to see what all the 03+ guys have to say for themselves about this. Cause i had a 99 never had a problem but didn't really clutchless shift, had a 99 600r also that i road the same but threw out second gear learning 1st gear wheelies trying to shift. Just trying to get some good feedback on the 1st to 2nd clutchless upshifts, like who does them frequently how many miles are on the bike and so worth. I'm not looking for just a "Yea it is ok!", i want to see who's been doing this with these year model bikes and for how long with no problems, just don't want to have to rebuild a tranny again!

edit: atleast not in the next year or two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 AM
Atom Smasher

Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Clutchless shifting

I always use the clutch going into second. Clutchless shifting just doesn't seem to be as smooth going into second as it does going into 3, 4, 5 & 6.

Because Blue is Faster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 r6
harris racing gel grips, shogun frame sliders bar ends & swingarm spools, braking wave rotors, galfer stainless lines, galfer HH pads, yamaha seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, magknight tankbra, driven sprockets -1+2, DID erv3 520 chain, speedohealer, shorty Pazzo Levers, Sato rearsets, harris technaflow windscreen, Full Micron Serpent, PCIII, Piper cross air filter, Woodcraft case covers
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM

I'm not a tranny expert (wow, that could be taken out of context), but the clutch is there for a reason. I guess if the speeds matched the rpms of the next gear perfectly, you could shift without the clutch rather smoothly, but over time, you will grind your gears, destroy the clutch, etc.

You could always snag a quick shifter kit.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM

you can do clutchless upshifts on anything with a clutch (car or motorcycle). Upshifting won't hurt anything if you don't use the clutch. Downshifting is a bit more difficult because you have to match the rpm's which is hard on your model because of the lack of a slipper clutch. Going from 1st to 2nd is tough because you have N in the middle. I recommend using the clutch from 1st to 2nd, but after that it is your call.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM
I eat my R6

I have done clutchless shifting on my bikes for more than 20 years (granted I don't do it all the time). I only do clutchless shifting on the way up...not down. I've never had a mechanical issue with any of my bike related to clutchless shifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
rockin the '08

Bike: 2008 blue R6
Send a message via AIM to Pharoh Send a message via MSN to Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6dirtydave
I'm not a tranny expert (wow, that could be taken out of context), but the clutch is there for a reason. I guess if the speeds matched the rpms of the next gear perfectly, you could shift without the clutch rather smoothly, but over time, you will grind your gears, destroy the clutch, etc.

You could always snag a quick shifter kit.
sounds like you do know a lot about trannys
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

seriously though..I agree with ^^ The clutch is there for a reason and I know a lot of people who don't use it but I for one do. I saw this cool demonstration of how a transmission works from the inside and I can see how clutchless shifting would wear down or break something over time.

Respect and Gratitude have no borders

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Nex
Track Junkie

I use the clutch to shift up and down on the street. (Not R6) For track when I need to bang up the gears on straights clutch gets to rest a bit. If you shift right nothing will break, and GP shift pattern helps too.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Atom Smasher

Bike: 2007 R6

If you do it right, you aren't going to damage your tranny. You can't even tell you have changed gears, it just slips into gear so smooth. The way a motorcycle transmission is built is a little different from a cars and makes clutchless shifting much easier to do and it is very easy on the tranny.

Read the following article from Sport Rider:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Because Blue is Faster

2007 r6
harris racing gel grips, shogun frame sliders bar ends & swingarm spools, braking wave rotors, galfer stainless lines, galfer HH pads, yamaha seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, proton flushmounts, magknight tankbra, driven sprockets -1+2, DID erv3 520 chain, speedohealer, shorty Pazzo Levers, Sato rearsets, harris technaflow windscreen, Full Micron Serpent, PCIII, Piper cross air filter, Woodcraft case covers
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Ya wheelies is garbage!

Bike: 03 R6

Well i'm just curious cause i've been practicing all kinds of stuff to get my bike control back, the other day i was out down the street on this empty country road practicing some 1st gear power wheelies and i tried shifting into second towards the top of the gear and it shifted really smooth.

thanks for the article, i read a similar one lastnight. Good info though.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

Yamaha is against it!
I've raced multiple bikes and have always used it sometimes even down shifting.

I read that Yamaha does not want anyone to shift their bikes without using the clutch but it's such a habit for me sometime I do it without even knowing.

I run gp style shifting also because it feels more comfortable since I've been using it so long.

Dynojet and some other companies make a engine kill system that cuts the bikes ignition for a split second before the shift is made. This is the safest way claims who ever but it's used for racing and if you can shell out the $200+ to get one I would recommend it.

However I have never had any problems with any of my bikes put over 50,000 miles on my f2 shifting and racing that way with no trans problems!
I did polish the trans gears on the f2 though, but it just makes it turn more smoothly I dont think it helps with shifting into gears without using the clutch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in