First track day questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: bumble bee 06
Send a message via AIM to the_gill
First track day questions

I should be going to the track for the first time, as long as I can get Friday off that is
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is an endurance day form what I've been told? I guess each session is going to be 30 minutes long. I'm sure my ass will be thoroughly kicked and probably won't even ride the whole session.

A couple questions I had though about entering and exiting corners. I feel completly stable and confident while in the corner, and actually feel I have good posture while in the corner while comparing myself to a couple other write ups. But I am a little shaky on mostly exiting the corner.

I got a steering damper because usually exiting a corner I would get a horrible wobble. That problem went away, but it still doesnt feel right. What I am doing is pulling the outer bar towards me and layin into the gas to wide open just about the time I start to bring the bike back to vertical. Should I not be pulling the bars either way while exiting a turn? Should I bring the bike back up with my body? I'm not sure.

Also, I have never entered a corner going balls out full on the brakes before, usually lightly brake and enter and build speed through the corner. How should you enter? On the brakes hard while stating to lean in or just letting off as you lean in?

Thanks for any help, and please feel free to giving me any other pointers, as this will be my first track day.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM
R6 Symbient Organism

Bike: 2005R6Raven, TASTY
Send a message via Yahoo to F1ERCE
Re: First track day questions

Quote:
I feel completly stable and confident while in the corner, and actually feel I have good posture while in the corner while comparing myself to a couple other write ups. But I am a little shaky on mostly exiting the corner.
couple thoughts here. First of all, if you are wobbling on exit, than your line through the corner is all wrong.
If your line is right, your exit will be very close to a straight line.
Track day will teach you this.
But I guess your question is about straightening after lean.
First off, forget about pulling anything.
(imho) consider everything a push so when you go to straighten for exit, right your body up and then push on the outter (don't pull the inner) as you straighten.
I should feel so smooth that its no more exciting than simple acceleration.

As you go into your first track day I can explain EVERYTHING in one word

SMOOTH !

Smooth should be your theme for the day. Not speed, or lean or anything.
You goal should be smooth!
Smooth braking
Smooth line through corner
Smooth acceleration

Gotta admit I'm not there but I know its right cuz the guys who blow by me are all about this.
SMOOTH
Everything else will follow

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." - Arnold Schwarzenegger (1947-)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

Major thing I have not heard is suspension set up.

I would be more concerned about how my suspension was set up before I worried about speed, leaning, cornering, breaking or just ridding on the track!!!!
If your suspension is not set up correctly for not only your weight but the type of track all the best ridding in the world will not produce an enjoyable day.

Do a sag weight set up first dial in your settings do some test runs, try to feel how your suspension is traveling. Look at how it's traveling.

I keep two zip ties around the silver part of my front forks to see how far down it's moving, it's a good way to see if your moving too much or not enough.

Look though the suspension thread in the forum home page.

Trust me you are going to want your suspension right on especily if you're going for an endurance race!

Suspension can have a lot to do with your wobble too.

Hope I helped!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:21 PM

you're probably going to be slower on he track than you are on the street. It is completely different and that fact the it's so much wider than the one lane you have to work with on the street, gives you many different lines to choose from. I wouldn't worry about braking into corners in the beginning. Just get out there, ride safe, have fun and get to know the track. You don't want to hold onto the handle bars tight if you're doing that. It will cause you to wobble out of the corner, hold on to the bike with your legs/body. Maybe I don't think about it, but I usually straighten out of a turn using just the throttle. If it's a very technical turn then maybe you'll need steering input. always push the side you're turning instead of pulling the opposite side. Hope that helps. good luck, and be sure to have fun out there.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM

+1 on the suspension. If you don't understand it too much, they might be able to set up your bike at the track for a nominal fee. It's definitely worth it. You'll get more out of it than a $2000 exhaust system in terms of speed through turns. feeling properly planted in turns is a priceless feeling.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Yea I am definatly wishing I knew how to tune it, that's the one thing I hear over and over again, but never touch. I checked out the baseline adjustments at sportrider, and will do that then fine tune it thru the day, or like you said, find somebody that will do it/help me with it at the track.

I will have to get into the hang of pushing the bar rather then pulling, I always have pushed the opposite. I have been trying very hard latly to loosen my grip on the bars and more of use my body

As for being smooth, I completly understand this and will be working on this the most. It applies into everything you do. I golf and snowboard and staying smooth in both of those is key. I will try to have to stay calm out there and flow everything. I'm just worried about getting out there and feelin like a 16 yr old gettin ready to **** for the first time.

As for the bike and myself, what do I need to prepare? I have full gear, so I should be set for that. I plan on wearing soccer shorts and a t underneath the suit. But for the bike what do I need to do? As far as I know the track I'm going to doesn't require safety wire. But don't I have to take mirrors and blinkers off and tape off all lights and pull the fuses for them? Am I missing anything? Do I need to do anything to the bike between runs? lube the chain or anything like that? What pressures should I run at hot/cold? I have the stock qualifiers.

How about for the day itself? I plan on trucking my bike there, Is all I need my insurance card and ID? Then obviously bring food/water, basic tools, and a lawnchair or two? My gf will be coming with me, I assume she just sits around and watches wherever she pleases?

Thank you very much for the pointers, Nick
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Nex
Track Junkie

What organization are you doing your track day with?

There are different levels / groups, I assume you are riding in beginner. Most track day organizations will have control riders, sort of track police, who regulate beginner and intermediate riding groups. Control riders are usually willing to show new riders around the track, pick one and work with him through the day. They can show you corner entry speeds, and best lines around the track.

As far as bike prep, disconnect and tape up headlights (with painters tape), take off mirrors, make sure brakes, tires, etc. are ok.

Remember to take it easy and just have fun, it's not a race, there is no trophy, but crashing will cost you real money and possibly real pain. I've seen way too many people out there get competitive for some reason...

Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing about your day. Track days are more addictive than crack btw
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

I am not sure what org. it is with. My teacher from college invited me to go, so I'm not to sure.

I assume it is set up like when I went dirt biking on the track. They split the groups to fast and slow, then let one group out, make them come off and the next group goes on?

I was excited as hell, and still am but I am definatly starting to get a little nervous now.

Only problem is now the weather. It has been raining all week na dis going to continue till friday. Scattered showerd Friday.......

BTW here is the track I'd be going to
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gill

What I am doing is pulling the outer bar towards me and layin into the gas to wide open just about the time I start to bring the bike back to vertical. Should I not be pulling the bars either way while exiting a turn? Should I bring the bike back up with my body? I'm not sure.

Also, I have never entered a corner going balls out full on the brakes before, usually lightly brake and enter and build speed through the corner. How should you enter? On the brakes hard while stating to lean in or just letting off as you lean in?

Nick
Nick, ill try to help out a bit... When exiting the corner you shouldn't be pulling the outer bar towards you... If you are truly doing this then you are makign a huge mistake. Pulling the outerbar towards you will actually make you lean over further in the turn ie. countersteering. Please verify that you meant pushing the outer bar away from you before I continue to help out. If you truly are pulling the outer bar and laying on throttle then there is your issue my freind.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

When entering, I will lay the bike over with my body for hte most part with a tiny bit of help from countersteering. When exiting, I will start rolling to full throttle, and more so pull the inner bar to help turn the bike back upright. When exiting I do not use my body to upright the bike to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in