Skill Progression - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Charcoal R6
Skill Progression

So I just started riding in late april and I have been getting better. I am just wondering how my skill progression is in comparison with others. The best way I can think to compare this is by posted speeds in canyon corners. I have proggressed to the point where any corner posted 25+ mph, I can take at about double the speed. So i am taking 30mph corners at 55 or 60 mph and 40 mph corners at around 80mph. I still suck at the real tight 10 mph corners though. I can only take them at 15 - 20 mph. Let me know how you guys did after a few months of riding and what your skills are like today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Re: Skill Progression

Canyon corners aren't the place to push and find your limits. Thats what the track is for. There are too many uncontrollable variables in the canyons and sooner or later you will meet up with one or more. If you are pushing or riding to the edge or over your limits, the results could have very heavy consequences. I hope you at least have proper gear.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 Charcoal R6

I agree with you completely. However I dont feel that I have been pushing my limits very hard. I just try to have fun and improve my skill. I spend a lot of time trying to perfect my lines. I am not doing anything that I dont feel I have control over. I understand that there is always uncontrolable factors like other motorists, gravel, potholes etc. I plan on hitting up some track time next season where I can test my limits. I do wear gear all the time though. I am not advocating speeding and reckless behavior on public roads. I just want to know what others can or do, do. If everyone tells me they go slower than I do, I will probably slow it down. But as of right now I feel I am being responsible with my riding, even though I am breaking the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM

More important than concentrating on speed is concentrating on being SMOOTH. Smooth braking, smooth throttle. Smooth eventually equals fast and in control.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:03 PM

best place to test your skillz against others....... the track. thats what its made for.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

Definitely take it to a track if you want to do a comparison.

Blue because it is faster.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 PM

The streets are not a very good or safe place to practice your corner speeds. Plus you can't get a good indication of how well you are progressing. Join NESBA or some other track organization. Invest in a lap timer and you will know exactly how you are progressing. The control riders will give you advise learned from years of racing experience. You'll discover you will reach your limits ALOT sooner then the limits of the bike. If you wreak on the track you'll generally walk away with little to no injuries. It's only a matter of time until you hurt yourself or worse hurt someone else if you keep pushing on public roads. Trust me when I tell you, once you do a track day and discover how incredible sport bikes REALLY are, you'll never want to run the streets again.

On yeah one last thing, once you get good, you'll be passing litter bikes on your 600 like they are standing still. My track bike is a 2000 R6, I'm passing 06 R1, Gixers, Ducati, whatever, no problems. Those skills can only be learned on the track.

Last edited by ishp2005; 09-20-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in