Tires for Dedicated Track Bike - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2007 MV Agusta F4 R312
Tires for Dedicated Track Bike

Hi, I'm new to the track but I've just invested in a dedicated track bike. What tires do you guys recommend? The tires are for practice and not racing.

I've read that Supercorsa Pros and Power Races are good choices, but I'm wondering, since it's for a dedicated track bike, should I go with slicks? If so, what's a good slick?

I just want the right tire for me (track beginner). I'm also worried about heat cycles for slicks. Heard they don't work as well after several heat cycles, which as a practice tire may be a problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I eat my R6

Re: Tires for Dedicated Track Bike

just run a dot race tire, theres a good amount of ppl that race and run race tires over slicks. you really cant go wrong with any of dunlops, bridgestone, pirelli or michelins...it just comes down to price and how easy they are to get
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

If you are just getting started on the track I would recommend trying the Bridgestone BT002 RS. It is designed to be a trackday tire with long wear characteristics and has the same tire profile as the BT002 pros. The grip is excellent and the tires provide superb feedback when they are on the edge of traction.

Blue because it is faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2007 MV Agusta F4 R312

Thanks! Will be going with the BT002s.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM

The Michelin Power Race tires are great! I used them on several track days, they stick like glue with little to no warm up time. I ran them without tire warmers, they lasted about 4 track days. I'm pretty hard on tires so they may last you longer. Purchased a set for 240.00

I'm now using Michelin Pilot racing slicks. These DO require investing in tire warmers otherwise they are a little slipery cold. I purchased a set for 199.00. I liked them so much I'm on my second set. The first set lasted me 2 track days, again, I'm very hard on tires so they may last you alot longer. Also remember that with slicks you'll need to invest in a generator, front and rear bike stands too.

Hope that helps
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Slicks and tyre warmers. Your pocket will love it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishp2005
The Michelin Power Race tires are great! I used them on several track days, they stick like glue with little to no warm up time.
i hope your joking
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pr have a very hard carcass thats why you have to run the rear at 22 psi and they take the longest to heat up. pirellis have little to no warm up if any....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM

I didn't like the original Dunlops I had on the 00 R6, they slid all over the place cold or hot. The only other brand I've used since are Michelins (I also run the rears at 22PSI) I love them. My buddy went from Michelin Power Race to Pirelli (paid over 350.00), unfortunatly he wrecked the day he used them, I asked what his next brand of tires will be, he isn't sure. For me, Michelins are the best bang for the buck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I eat my R6

thats what you think...for 240 your on the commercial cycle gear soft med/ soft power races....the good power races(pr series) are just as expensive. pr series is the prc, pr1 through pr5...thats what im on
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm on Michelin Pilot slicks now $199.00 for the set. If I can find another brand for that price I might consider them, but I'm very happy with the Michelin tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in