Track Budget - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Ride for you, not others.

Bike: 2017 R6, 06 SV650S
Track Budget

Iím thinking of taking my act to the track. How much money should I plan on spending for a one day track adventure? I know how to add but since Iíve never been, I donít want to encounter any hidden expenses or something I didnít plan for. This is whatís on my mind as far as what I need to pay for:

1. Track day
2. Tire
3. gas
4. lap timer

What does an average track day costs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WSMC #808
Azusa/GMR Regular
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Just suck on my balls!!!

Bike: RS250, R1, R6
Re: Track Budget

Budget $100 over the cost of the actual track fee for riding only.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Custom User Title

Tires, entry fees, travel expenses, lodging, food, fuel, tire change fees, miscellaneous consumables. Also potentially budget for mechanical failures, repairs, and injury expenses. Make sure you have good health insurance, and that the inability to show up for work on Monday isn't going to be devastating to you financially. Also consider your motorcycle insurance and what they will and will not cover.

If you cover the big things, you can usually count on others in the pits to get you through your first weekend. There will be things you will forget and will need that you don't realize ahead of time, but I find that the track day/race community is very helpful in getting newcomers on their feet.

Good luck!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM

Track day - 100-150 normally
Tires - If you can run whats on there, do it. Normal range of 120-160 for a good set of takeoffs, mounted and balanced at the track. If you want to have your street tires put back on at the end of the day, figure another 25.
Gas - I normally use a full tank, and most of a 5 gallon jerry can in one day. So figure 25 dollars for gas.
Hotel Room - 50-100/night if you have to stay. If the track is only a 2 hour drive, it might be worth waking up early for.
Gate Fee - Most tracks charge 10 dollars to enter, cash only.
Garage(optional) - you can rent an indoor garage with power and air at most tracks for around 100 bucks/day. You can also fit like 6 bikes in there so get together with some friends. This really only helps if you need power for tire warmers, etc and don't have a generator
Food/Drinks - Some places hand out free water, others don't give you anything. Bring enough money to get breakfast, lunch and dinner at a fast food place if you need to. Also, bring at least a 12 pack of water/gatorade with you. Figure about 30 dollars for food for the day.
Pictures(optional) - Most trackdays will have a professional photographer there who normally charges around 60 dollars for the days photos.
Gas- I know I already said gas, but that was for the bikes, not for your truck. Depending on how far away the track is, 50 bucks to fill up your trucks gas tank.

As far as the lap timer goes. You don't need one. The best thing to do is bring a friend along. It's a good idea anyway because if you get hurt, you'll have someone to drive home for you. Then, when he's sitting around bored, give him a stopwatch and a pad of paper.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGapR6
Tires, entry fees, travel expenses, lodging, food, fuel, tire change fees, miscellaneous consumables. Also potentially budget for mechanical failures, repairs, and injury expenses. Make sure you have good health insurance, and that the inability to show up for work on Monday isn't going to be devastating to you financially. Also consider your motorcycle insurance and what they will and will not cover.

If you cover the big things, you can usually count on others in the pits to get you through your first weekend. There will be things you will forget and will need that you don't realize ahead of time, but I find that the track day/race community is very helpful in getting newcomers on their feet.

Good luck!
+1

Well the first trackday is usually the cheapest. Most people ride their first few track days with street tires.

Blue because it is faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
I eat my R6

i usually spend around 4-500 for 1 day
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Will Race for Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6SSV650S
Iím thinking of taking my act to the track. How much money should I plan on spending for a one day track adventure? I know how to add but since Iíve never been, I donít want to encounter any hidden expenses or something I didnít plan for. This is whatís on my mind as far as what I need to pay for:

1. Track day
2. Tire
3. gas
4. lap timer

What does an average track day costs?

First time out is pretty simple depending on the track day organization. I coach for Team Promotion and to get on the track the first time you don't need to safety wire anything. All you need to do is tape up your lights and I recommend removing your mirrors. Other then that 170 or so for the track day, assuming your street tires have some life in them N/C, we don't allow novices to use lap timers. Other then that I recommend coming fully gased and with a five gallon container full. So assuming 3 bucks a gallon for gas you are looking at 10 bucks for lunch and 30 bucks for fuel. 40 dollars extra plus fuel to and from the track.

Are you a crasher? No? How do you know? It becomes much more expensive if you crash. Since you can buy cheap bodywork for 350 bucks, do you really want to risk your expensive street stuff? Everyone crashes, question is what do you want to risk? I paid 150 bucks for a set of tank sliders because I don't have 15g's to build another bike. Do you have 1200-1500 to buy new street bodywork if you crash? I never crashed on the street but seem to average about 2-3 per year racing. That part gets expensive. Oh and the truck and trailer to bring the bike back and forth.

Z

Wera & CCS EX#79, Team Promotion Coach #79 AMA Moto-GT #12
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2009 Sponsors:
Team Pro-Motion, Speedwerks, CTR Suspensions, Turner Landscaping, Redline Motorsports, Vortex Racing, LP, Pirelli

They say you only live once, if you lived my life once is more then enough. - Frank Sinatra
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Ride for you, not others.

Bike: 2017 R6, 06 SV650S

Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful. To sum it all up, I guess I'm looking at $500-$1,000 to be safe. With that, how much track time do you actually get?

WSMC #808
Azusa/GMR Regular
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
DallasKrew.com

Bike: 05, R6

good info guys..

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:08 PM

Most places do 20 minutes sessions. So you'll get 20 minutes in the 9 o clock hour, 20 minutes in the 10 o clock hour, etc. So if people fall alot then you lose out on some time. It might not seem like much, but if they run through lunch, you end up getting 160 minutes of track time, riding as hard as you can, which is enough to wear anyone out. 500 is probably in the right range when you're starting up.

If you're looking to go to a track for the first time, and are from southern cali, I would suggest buttonwillow or streets of willow. The big track at willow is really fast and not that technical, its a fun track, but fast lap times just come from not being a wuss in turn 2 and 8. Fontana is a great track, with lots of runoff room, but it normally runs around 300 for a track day. Streets of willow desperately needs to be repaved, but its a nice little technical track and is really fun. Buttonwillow is amazingly fun run counter clockwise and is pretty smooth, its just a farther drive from the LA area than the other tracks.

Last edited by Agent4573; 01-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in