Throttle blip when shifting - do u do it? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
I m starting to eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6s-Blue; 1-hp rented
Throttle blip when shifting - do u do it?

do u guys use the technique when riding your r6?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

also, anyone is doing clutchless shifts?

depending on your replies i might need to go back to "My R6 eats me" and learn to ride
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 R6s Blue
MIVV GP Slipon ~ PC USBIII ~ BMC Air Filter ~ Custom Map ~ Shogun Crash Kit ~ Pazzo Short Levers ~ Driven Gel Grips ~ Fender Eliminator Kit ~ Euro Effects HID Conversion Kit 4300K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Bike: Pasta & Rice
Re: Throttle blip when shifting - do u do it?

Yes, and yes (upshifts)...

"Always be yourself... unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

blipping when downshifting - is this something one can learn to do when bike is on a stand (pit bull type)?

06 R6s Blue
MIVV GP Slipon ~ PC USBIII ~ BMC Air Filter ~ Custom Map ~ Shogun Crash Kit ~ Pazzo Short Levers ~ Driven Gel Grips ~ Fender Eliminator Kit ~ Euro Effects HID Conversion Kit 4300K

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I wouldn't recommend it... besides the obvious safety issue, there is no load to the rear wheel and you won't have the same feel as when the bike is actually moving.

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!

When you do clutchless upshifts you should let off the throttle slightly and at the same time shift and thats it no blips.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love r6's View Post
When you do clutchless upshifts you should let off the throttle slightly and at the same time shift and thats it no blips.
He is referring to blips during DOWNSHIFTING

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

It is considered good practice to BLIPP the throttle while downshifting. I do It now without even thinking about it. The trickier part is downshiffting while on the brakes and still blipping the throttle. Again it is second nature to me now. And with a little practice anyone can get the technique down. As far as the clutchless upshift thing. There is a lot of debate on whether it is GOOD for the tranny and what not. I feel that it unecessary for the street rider to be doing it. It does help roll in faster times on the track. It takes very little practice or technique to do. Just preload the shiffter while on the gas ( preloading is pulling up on the shifter with you'r foot ). After you have preloaded the shifter and still applying pressure ( not much either ) you let off the gas a little and the bike will shift. You cannot do this for downshifting. Well actually you can but you won't have fun with the results, so don't do it. I only do clutchless upshifting at the track. hope this helps.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

could anyone spec out the step by step for proper downshifting (with blipping i mean)... also in which scenarious would u do it... to accelerate (some accelarate in lower gears) or to slow down....
thnx

06 R6s Blue
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 PM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!

On the street you probably shouldn't do it, but if you have to just give alittle gas while down shifting to the next gear or if you are going to skip a couple gears then you should blip for each time you hit the shifter. The main point to give it a blip is to keep the back tire from chattering when you are hauling ass and are coming to a corner that calls for a much slower speed, to help keep control. But for the street it just sounds cool, it may also be better for you clutch because if your engine is just at a idle you really don't want to bring the rpm's up to a much higher rpm just by releasing the clutch.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Dont do it....ok, do it

Bike: 50th Anniversary R6
Send a message via Yahoo to inkedupR6

All your trying to do is match engine speed to the speed of the rear wheel. When you get squirley (besides cold tires and road conditions)its cuz your engine speed is different than your rear wheel. So blipping the throttle brings up the RPM's, matches your rear wheel and you start to decelerate. Doing it correctly, you really shouldnt notice any chatter or anything to upset the rear wheel. Practice that, than brake while blipping the throttle. Same technique, just apply some front brake pressure.

A couple of my friends and the sweet twisty road we used to hit every weekend in Central Cali...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in