First Track Day!!! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '07 R6
First Track Day!!!

Ok so for my 30th birthday a friend and I will be doing a track day at California Speedway on March 30th. I am pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I will be takin my 07 R6. I have been riding for just under 10 years and started with a bandit 600, then went to an FZR600r, and now the
R6. I have ridden some local canyon roads pretty aggressively and have had some close calls with idiot motorists. Luckily I have never went down. What experiences have any of you had with track days? What are the chances of going down? What should I expect? I know the bike is made for the track. Any tips or pointers? I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
CARS SUCK

Re: First Track Day!!!

Congrtatulations
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like your careful progression with your bikes. If you are
as cautious on the track as you have been on the street, you will
do fine. On average, there are over half a dozen bikes that go down at Cali Speedway each day. It's happened to me. The key to bringing home your bike as shiny as it went to trackday is between the ears. Never ride over your head. If you catch yourself grabbing at the controls before a corner, or things are coming at you too fast, back it off a notch. You will be going much faster at the end of the day if you take your time and don't force going fast early. The speed will come if you are relaxed.

Expect to be nervous. Expect to go faster than you ever have.
Expect to be addicted.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The one thing I did before I got on a track that helped was I
bought the book "Twist of the Wrist Volume II" be Keith Code. It helped me learn how to be smooth and described the proper technique to get a knee down. Thats the best advice I have.
March 29th at Cali Speedway will be my 10th trackday, and I am on my way to the advanced group!
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Born at age 6 on a dirt bike.
Born again on an R6.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
New Yorker

goodluck and just have fun. take it easy and get familiarize

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Nex
Track Junkie

Good luck with not getting addicted

One BIG tip for you. Ride at your own pace, don't follow. Another rider could be in your group, but even beginners are all different. You can follow someone into a turn and realize that you are in too hot, but it will be too late.

Following a control rider for a few laps is the best way to learn the fast line around. CRs are also great at giving feedback and tips, make friends with your CRs
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: '07 R6

Thanks for all the advice. I can't wait. I will post some pics after the event. One last thing, I was thinking about getting a GPR stabilizer before doing the track day and now more so since I am running on the track. Do you guys/gals think I need one? I won't have much time to ride with it before the track and familiarize myself with it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Nex
Track Junkie

You don't HAVE to have one, but it helps. Some tracks shake the bike up more than others though. If you have the $ and will buy stabilizer anyway, get it before the track, if not - don't bother with it.

Something that's commonly misunderstood about stabilizers is that they are not supposed to be maxed out at the track. Bike should be able to move around etc., but stabilizer keeps the front end from isolating uncontrollably. Having your stabilizer set too high can transfer front end wiggle to the rear of the chassis, which is a much larger problem.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I m starting to eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6s-Blue; 1-hp rented

i m going to do my 1st track day on May 4th at Pocono's (NY)... i am also excited... got new tires, got new slip-on, pc and now looking for ways to get a pc map....

well, anyway - good luck to anyone going to their first track day this season

cheers!!!!!!!!
from last year noob/this year track novice

06 R6s Blue
MIVV GP Slipon ~ PC USBIII ~ BMC Air Filter ~ Custom Map ~ Shogun Crash Kit ~ Pazzo Short Levers ~ Driven Gel Grips ~ Fender Eliminator Kit ~ Euro Effects HID Conversion Kit 4300K
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Track riding is like sex... if you do it and don't love it, you're just not doin it right!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
its ok im a gangster

Bike: 2005 raven r6

trackdays are like crack.. you'll be finding ways to get money for more.. just remember ride at your own pace and bring the bike home the same way it was the day before... this also helped

Last edited by liquid; 03-03-2008 at 04:01 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
trackdays are like crack.. you'll be finding ways to get money for more.. just remember ride at your own pace and bring the bike home the same way it was the day before... this also helped
Yeah, but my analogy is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in