Securing race tail 2003 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Securing race tail 2003

I have a new tail piece I want to attach to the track bike I have (2003 R6). The old one attached with two bolts by the battery and two bolts where the seat bolts into the sub frame then it was zip tied at a few holes in the under tail. The new one has spots for two bolts by the battery but none where the seat bolts on. The new tail has a recessed spot on top for a bolt but I can't see it lining up with anything directly below it. Anyone have any advice? Do you have to fabricate something for the recessed bolt hole on top? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	21134  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Re: Securing race tail 2003

The two cutouts are so your stock seat bolts can still hold the seat on. The two tabs by the battery are for the black plastic push pin type thingies and the rear recess does have a bolt hole directly below it. I think it was originally a taillight mount or something like that, but if you drill a hole there, there should be threads to put a bolt into.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
The two cutouts are so your stock seat bolts can still hold the seat on. The two tabs by the battery are for the black plastic push pin type thingies and the rear recess does have a bolt hole directly below it. I think it was originally a taillight mount or something like that, but if you drill a hole there, there should be threads to put a bolt into.

Thanks for your response. The old tail, where the two slots are for the seat bolts have extended surfaces so the seat bolts can go through those points as further reinforcement. That's why I am baffled as to why they wouldn't do the same. Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM

I just put the two push pins by the battery and never had any problems. what type of race skins do you have? I have hotbodies your may be different.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

^ +1

I just ziptie the fronts on and it's good to go. It's a bitch to get on/off over the passenger seat mechanism anyway; there's no way in hell it's going to just fall off.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
^ +1

I just ziptie the fronts on and it's good to go. It's a bitch to get on/off over the passenger seat mechanism anyway; there's no way in hell it's going to just fall off.

Yeah I agree, it is a bitch to slide over the tail. I cut off about 1/2 inch of that plastic thingy on the right side so it goes on easy now. Thanks for your responses.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

^ Oh I did that too and it still creaks and cracks. I don't even know how you did it with that plastic piece still on!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM

+1 , I did mine the same way, push pinned the forward most holes and drilled that top hole and put a bolt in there. You can make it a little more sturdy if you drill two holes in the undertail plate right up at the far forward edge and insurt a couple bolts or push pins there, when its attached to the bottom of the tail section it will make it a little more sturdy but not required. The first thing I did was cut that plastic thing off the right side and I also removed the passanger seat mechanism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in