U turns and Figure 8's..HELP! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

U turns and Figure 8's..HELP!

Okay guys so I didn't ride for over a year ..so now that I am on my R6 I find that I have basically lost the ability to do the tight U turn and figure 8s that we learned in the MSF course.

I could easily do it in the course but on the R6 I feel like the front is going to "tuck under" me does anyone else have this problem? I know it sounds silly but I just don't want to drop the bike .

Any insight or tips to whatever may help me in what I am not doing or forgetting may help ..

I remember lock to lock with the bars ,no front brake of course, drag the rear brake and use the clutch and gas to pivot around the rear wheel. i just can't get it for some reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Ore wa Gandamu da

Send a message via AIM to Turbo-Joe
Re: U turns and Figure 8's..HELP!

Counterweight. Turn bike to the left, shift your body to the right, look where you want to go.

I love lamp!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

trust urself and don't use the clutch. keep 1st gear completely engaged. your speed can be controlled using the rear brake. use it throughout the entire turn to stabilize the bike. good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I eat my R6

You counter steering? Put your shoulder into the direction you are turning and counter steer (push the handle bar in the direction you want to go). It will all come back to you. Just takes practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytheon View Post
You counter steering? Put your shoulder into the direction you are turning and counter steer (push the handle bar in the direction you want to go). It will all come back to you. Just takes practice.
Not with Slow U-turn's and Fig 8's. Counterweight your body to the outside weight on outside peg, look through turn, turn wheel in direction of turn.

Coutersteering is for speeds over 10-15 due to centrifugal force, which is not present at real low speed
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Intermediate Knee Dragger

Bike: 2009 TU250

You've also got to remember that it's a lot easier to do those MSF maneuvers on the MSF bikes. They're a lot harder on a sportbikes, and of the sportbikes I've done u-turns on, the R6 is the hardest one. I could do a u-turn in one lane with my Bandit, which is a huge tank compared to an R6. However, it was a tank with the bars above the gas tank instead of beside it... I just had to practice again and again and relearn some of my body positioning before I could do a good u-turn on a sportbike.

Dragging Knee > Wheelies

"The anguish of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -- Unknown
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Not with Slow U-turn's and Fig 8's. Counterweight your body to the outside weight on outside peg, look through turn, turn wheel in direction of turn.

Coutersteering is for speeds over 10-15 due to centrifugal force, which is not present at real low speed
Oh really? It depends. 10-15 mph is a bit slow.

Quote:
You've also got to remember that it's a lot easier to do those MSF maneuvers on the MSF bikes. They're a lot harder on a sportbikes, and of the sportbikes I've done u-turns on, the R6 is the hardest one. I could do a u-turn in one lane with my Bandit, which is a huge tank compared to an R6. However, it was a tank with the bars above the gas tank instead of beside it... I just had to practice again and again and relearn some of my body positioning before I could do a good u-turn on a sportbike.
I agree. I did my course on my DRZ400. Made it a lot easier. But to be honest with you, I would have no problem passing it with my Six.

|
|

Last edited by Paytheon; 05-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post

centrifugal force doesn't exist. u prolly meant centripetal force but it doesn't really apply to what ur talking about.

anyway, although the wheel might be turned in the direction of the turn, ur still applying pressure to the bar in the direction u wanna go - hence counter steering.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:33 PM
First Gen FTW

Bike: 05 R6/1100 VSTAR

On top of the above... look where you want to go...not where your going

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Intermediate Knee Dragger

Bike: 2009 TU250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytheon View Post
I agree. I did my course on my DRZ400. Made it a lot easier. But to be honest with you, I would have no problem passing it with my Six.
I can too. Now. I took the basic MSF twice: once before getting a bike and once after I had been riding the Bandit for a few months. The instructors allowed me to try out the u-turn with the Bandit and I didn't have much trouble with it. But when I got my first GSXR it took me a while to be able to do a u-turn in one lane again. And the R6S was even worse. But now I could do it.

Dragging Knee > Wheelies

"The anguish of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in