Downshifting properly (08 R6) - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 08 Are six
Downshifting properly (08 R6)

What is the proper way to downshift a 2008 R6. Ive heard mixed opinions on this topic, so ill ask you guys. The manual barely covers downshifting, it basically says shift into 1st at 15mph, lol...

Sorry for the noob question, its my second bike, but my first slipper clutch.

thanks alot,
mike

EDIT: Im asking about downshifting when slowing the bike down for a light or stopsign or w/e.

Last edited by T4-Teg; 05-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Re: Downshifting properly (08 R6)

Option 1: pull the clutch in and come to a complete stop. shift down through the gears once you come to a stop. Not the best option because if you need to get going again quick, you'll be in the wrong gear.

option 2: Pull in clutch, downshift 1 gear, blip throttle and release clutch. Do this until you are in 1st or 2nd and then come to a stop. I prefer this method because you'll always be in the right gear if you need to get on the gas quickly, and it sounds cool.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
DILLIGAF

Bike: 2008 R6 Raven

^^ option 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Dan the man

Bike: 07 R6s
Send a message via AIM to dang387

option 2...may take a little practice but ull always be in the right gear

"Life moves pretty fast....if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Bike: 08 Are six

OK, yeah I do option 2. I just wasn't sure if this was the correct way to downshift this type of clutch.

thanks guys.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I eat my R6

Some random ideas that I learned at a recent track school JJYCRS

experiment with the clutch in the friction zone while downshifting (where the clutch isnt engaged totally and isnt disengaged totally) Try some different things and feel how the bike reacts. If the chassis gets upset, change your approach. Longer throttle blips while heavy downshifting in a track/race situation can help settle the throttle. Preload the shifter before engaging the clutch. The idea is to be as smooth in operating the controls as possible before entering a turn. Minimum rider input allows for the suspension and chassis to do their thing!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 PM

Why blip the throttle? The idea of the slipper clutch is to delay complete clutch engagement on downshift to reduce immediate engine braking, thereby reducing the chance of rear wheel slippage.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 AM

Bike: '06 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbspeed View Post
Why blip the throttle? The idea of the slipper clutch is to delay complete clutch engagement on downshift to reduce immediate engine braking, thereby reducing the chance of rear wheel slippage.
True..blipping the throttle while just riding around town or whatever...well then, he'll be fine not doing it. I don't know what kind of riding he's into, but if one day he decides that he wants to get better at ripping up nearby canyons...then it's definitely good practice. And once he gets to that certain riding level...then blipping the throttle will be a must. Like I said tho...regular cruising riding around the area....no need.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Dual 6's

Bike: 2004 R6 [blue]
Send a message via AIM to travis0385 Send a message via Yahoo to travis0385

this is just a generic question ive had about shifting for a while with my 04 r6....

when you guys have your clutch pulled in and you shift down to 2nd gear, do you hear a high little whine that sounds like something is turning and whining... i might be mistaken but i think its only in my 2nd gear.... also, with clutch totally held in, when i downshift into 1st casually it sometimes grinds gears a little... if i stomp it down pretty forcefully, it seems to slide in better... is this right?

both of these questions have bothered me for a while, especially the thing about 1st gear...

one other last thing.... when you pop into first when sittin still from neutral with the clutch in, why does the bike lurch forward a tiny bit... the clutch is in, there shouldnt be any connection from the engine to the rear wheel
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbspeed View Post
+1

Option 3. Get to know your bike and its speeds for each gear. When slowing always use brakes (to show the cagers that you are slowing down). At the same time pull in the clutch and shift down to a gear that is matching the speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in